Fuel Flow Transducer on my Ovation

N81FM

Hello All,

I have problems with the fuel flow on my Ovation (1999 with Moritz Gauges) that sometimes stops working for some time and then restarts and runs again.

I think i need to replace it (the plane has 1850 hours). Price at Mooney center is 1400 USD + VAT and transport for France (around 1900 $ in total !!!)

No need to say that i want to find another solution. Can anybody help me ? What is the reference of the original transducer used on the Ovation ?

Thanks 

Jean-Claude

Have you had it washed?

There is a spinning wheel with a magnet in it that is detected by a sensor outside.  If the wheel stops turning, fuel flows around it and nothing gets sensed.... (roughly speaking)

The equivalent of carb/fuel injector cleaner can be sprayed in there to clean it out.  Inspect and catch anything that comes out of it...  unlike an automobile, don't put the carb/fuel injector cleaner in the tank...

This work is Best done by your favorite mechanic.

PP ideas, not a mechanic.... I have read about this before, it is not my own experience...

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam
  • Like 1

I think I paid about $400 for the transducer from Shadin directly.

I took the old one apart, very carefully on a milling machine to see what was inside and the plastic wheel description is accurate, but I didn't see any crud or anything.  I can't imagine you would get enough crud on there when you are pushing fuel through there at 30 gph sometimes that what ever would break loose.  Mine was completely random on failure. 

If you want to dodge the VAT tax people a bit please let me know and we can work out a way to ship you one direct somehow.  I feel for your oppressive taxes.....

All of my paperwork is at the hangar, might get out there tomorrow.

But on your JPI (I assume) there is a way to start it, with certain buttons pressed, that will provide the variables.  You need to find the K-value, not 100% sure what is measures, but you have to buy a new one with the proper value, I believe, or change the K-value in engine analyzer.  But we are getting way over my pay scale. 

The K value is a constant factor that converts spinning wheel rotations to gph.  The sensor emits pulse signals. The JPI counts the pulses, and uses the K factor to calculate gph and gallons used.

If you use the same hardware, the same way, in the same application, the K value should stay the same....

A small change in the spinning wheel can cause a change in the K value.  

A change in the body of the sensor can also cause a change in the k value.

Either way, don't trust the reading until it is calibrated.

Calibration is probably done the old fashioned way.  Use it and compare readings to actual fuel used. If it is different, use the procedure to adjust the K factor.  Test and compare again...

Not above my pay scale... Just my PP pay scale isn't very high.... :) not a mechanic either...

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam