Mooney Insurance Premiums- M20R

mooneyman

43 minutes ago, Bennett said:

Well I have a hard deck occurring on my 85th birthday, no matter the state of my health, at which point I will stop flying, sell my airplane and move on.

I hope you do not.  My dad is 85, and I foresee him flying for at least another 10 years.  He only has 5000+ hours, though, all in GA.

Yes!  It's way out of line with others. They obviously don't want to be involved with GA coverage anymore.

My coverage and hull is similar and I pay about 2k w/ 800hours, 600 complex 300hp, instrument rated....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, BradB said:

I just renewed mine this month after one year of ownership.  M20TN.  About 120 hours in it this year.  Now over 500 total time.  My policy was 1m/100k $500 deductible in motion and parked with war and terrorism coverage.  The new offer was 1000.00 less for the same policy or 500.00 less if I switched to 1m smooth.  (I am instrument rated.  Have not attended MAPA yet)

The price difference between sub-limits and smooth coverage for me is about $200/yr so I stick with smooth.

14 hours ago, gsengle said:

My coverage and hull is similar and I pay about 2k w/ 800hours, 600 complex 300hp, instrument rated....

Quote from Old Repuplic came in about 2K. Starr was about $2300. I almost fell out of my chair when I saw the quote from AIG for $3590.

3 hours ago, gsengle said:

Anyone have any experience how a MAPA PPP helped your premium?

GS,

I asked my insurance agent when getting the CFII named.  They were familiar with MAPA,  And MAPA gives you the questions to ask to make sure they/their pilots are covered...

overall, the training makes you a lower risk.  Taking risk out of the equation is good....

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

4 hours ago, gsengle said:

Anyone have any experience how a MAPA PPP helped your premium?

After I went to the KCHA PPP in 2015 my insurance dropped ~$500 from $1525 to $1050 on my '84 J. Specifics are hull $95K, $1MM liability, $5K medical per person, deductibles $250 IM/$50 NIM, but included a change in companies. Was USIS and went to Global. Coming up for renewal the end of next month, so I will see what changes.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2017 at 11:35 AM, carusoam said:

GS,

I asked my insurance agent when getting the CFII named.  They were familiar with MAPA,  And MAPA gives you the questions to ask to make sure they/their pilots are covered...

overall, the training makes you a lower risk.  Taking risk out of the equation is good....

Best regards,

-a-

It also greatly depends on your hull value and your current risk level. My hull is under 100K and I'm considered high time so there really isn't anything I can do that will reduce my rates noticeably other than shopping companies. At a certain point there just isn't enough premium left for them to consider discounting. 

-Robert

• Like 1

Robert,

I think I may have mixed two different ideas...

1) Naming CFIIs on the insurance. Which I have done with low time in the long body... and after an extended illness, getting back in the saddle...

2) Getting a decent discount.  First year with the long body cost me an extra AMU.  A month of experience would have eliminated the extra cost. But there is no way to get the first month without paying full price of insurance.  There is no renegotiating the price mid term...

I am only a PP. I don't have work related aviation experience.

Best regards,

-a-

2 hours ago, carusoam said:

Robert,

I think I may have mixed two different ideas...

1) Naming CFIIs on the insurance. Which I have done with low time in the long body... and after an extended illness, getting back in the saddle...

2) Getting a decent discount.  First year with the long body cost me an extra AMU.  A month of experience would have eliminated the extra cost. But there is no way to get the first month without paying full price of insurance.  There is no renegotiating the price mid term...

I am only a PP. I don't have work related aviation experience.

Best regards,

-a-

Listing a cfii to reduce the premium? Doesn't work that way for us. We have one CFI, one cfii, and a ppl on the policy and the lowest common denominator drives the premium.