CFI-Relocation of M20C- Gadsden, AL to Phx, AZ

AZM20C

I recently purchased an M20C in AL. My insurance wants me to have a minimum of 5 hrs with an instructor. I would like to make the flight myself, along with a CFI to satisfy the insurance requirements. Is there anyone willing to entertain this adventure?

Thanks,

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Search for

MAPA

transition training

and the

MooneyFlyer

Somebody asked this question yesterday, and got a few responses...

Tell us about the plane.  There was one being auctioned off, recently, in the La area that might require some work prior to a long flight.

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

It is in the shop right now getting the IFR certification done, along with a few other minor things. I would of course want to pay expenses an hourly or daily rate. The aircraft is in good condition, in my opinion. It will be based in Mesa (KFFZ).

8 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

What are the open pilot requirements on your insurance? There is usually a minimum number of hours total, in type, etc.

The underwriters in the case of my CFII require one hour dual flight instruction in the make/model aircraft with a Certificated Flight Instructor prior to solo or flight with passengers. 

4 minutes ago, AZM20C said:

The underwriters in the case of my CFII require one hour dual flight instruction in the make/model aircraft with a Certificated Flight Instructor prior to solo or flight with passengers. 

that's not what he asked, he wants to know what the open pilot warranty minimums are, meaning how much time does someone have to have to be covered on your policy

I am a CFI and own a C, I would not do it unless I was a "named insured" pilot, not just open pilot qualified.  

As I understand it the insurance company will pay the owner of the plane if there is a loss but I would be on the hook from the insurance company even though I fit the open pilot qualifications.

True or not true?

Edited by Jim Peace

8 minutes ago, Jim Peace said:

I am a CFI and own a C, I would not do it unless I was a "named insured" pilot, not just open pilot qualified.  

As I understand it the insurance company will pay the owner of the plane if there is a loss but I would be on the hook from the insurance company even though I fit the open pilot qualifications.

True or not true?

I wouldn't do it simply because I don't have any c time to speak of.

The insurance end of it worries me less.

Jim,

that sounds familiar...

usually, getting named on the insurance is just a phone call, no additional cost.  I called my insurance to have my CFIIs named.

AZM,

As for selecting a CFI, 1000 hours in type is better than 1 hour in type... knows the intricacies and can demonstrate all the finer details of the particular Mooney would be best...

Learn as much detail as you can when paying for the hours...  :)

Jim has crossed the country a few times.

PP thoughts, not a CFI.

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

Be careful with respect to the open pilot warranty and/or being a named pilot though.  If you're receiving money for a service, you might not be considered an insured under the policy.  If you're named, then make sure that there is a clause for a waiver of subrogation against the listed pilots. 

It's never a big deal until it is, then it's too late. 

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

Jim,

that sounds familiar...

usually, getting named on the insurance is just a phone call, no additional cost.  I called my insurance to have my CFIIs named.

PP thoughts, not a CFI.

Best regards,

-a-

That was my experience. I had my CFI added to the policy for my transition training, just took an email and no additional cost. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AZM20C said:

It is in the shop right now getting the IFR certification done, along with a few other minor things. I would of course want to pay expenses an hourly or daily rate. The aircraft is in good condition, in my opinion. It will be based in Mesa (KFFZ).

Rene is based at KFFZ. He is currently a professional pilot (freight dog) he has been flying my Mooney's for 30 years. I will PM you with his info.

3 hours ago, Jim Peace said:

True or not true?

Very true. Meeting the open pilot warranty only means the insurance company wont deny a claim. They will subrogate their losses against the pilot or his estate unless he is a named additional insured pilot with a waiver of subrogation.

Subrogation is the right of someone (usually insurance company) to recover the money it paid on a claim from someone else who was at fault. A waiver of that right in your favor, means the insurance company gives up that right, as to you.

• Like 1