Lycoming drops prices as much as 72%

I think it's interesting they can drop prices that easily, I am thankful for it, but makes you wonder why the price gouging got to be so high?  Or are we as pilots that gullible to think those items really cost that much to make?  $17,500 vs $4,900 for an IO-360.

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Lycoming-Rolls-Back-Prices-on-Engine-Parts-228621-1.html

• Like 1

It would really be nice to return to a time when a new engine did not cost more than a whole airplane is worth but I'm not holding my breath. (In the '80s I had a brand new Lyc. IO360A1A installed in my M20E for $10,000, including installation, by the famous Norm Bender. At the time the plane was probably worth $20k.)

Now you can field overhaul your engine with a new roller rapper case for for perhaps even less money than having to buy the factory engine.   Send it down to Zephyr, where they can actually build you a better engine that the factory anyways. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, N601RX said:

These price drops just gets their parts more in line with PMA replacement part prices from ECI. I doubt they will drop prices on parts such as cylinders that have no PMA competition

there is a PMA replacement for an IO-360 case?