Covering Oil Cooler

PTK

On extremely cold days, it pays to warm up the oil more than normal. In 2000 when I first got my F model, There was one day it was in the single digits. I had a sump heater on the plane and the oil temp read better than 120 when I launched. The Mooney wing so loved the DA being about -3000 feet I just let her climb like a homesick angel somewhere between Vx and Vy...Big mistake, the oil congealed in the cooler..soon I was getting all kinds of JPI alarms on oil temp. Lowered the nose, reduced power, and pointed it back to the runway. Oil temp went back down as the vernatherm opened up and warmer oil hit the cooler and freed up the blockage. Subsequent oil draining, filter inspection and oil sample did not indicate any harm, fortunately

I have always blocked off half my oil cooler in the winter, trying to keep temps in the 180-190 range.  Even with it blocked off, it's hard sometimes to keep the temps up in the flight levels.  Then comes that trip to Florida (or someplace else warmer in the winter) and I'm pulling the top cowl off at my fuel stop to remove the block off device.  In the Rocket, there's a diagonal bar running across the front of the oil cooler which leaves a perfect recess at the cooler face to install a cut off piece of rubber mudflap.  

In summary, I would let your oil temps in cruise dictate whether you need to restrict your oil cooler.

Tom

• Like 2

In summary, I would let your oil temps in cruise dictate whether you need to restrict your oil cooler.
Tom

Sounds good. Makes me wonder if my oil temp is working correct. Granted -23C is only -10F. On takeoff it does show the oil temp to peak at the edge of the green arc on the hotter end so it does move around. In the world of digital monitors and such it's amazing how I can nit-pick such a thing.
On a separate note, I'll be departing KCIU for KIMT in about an hour to meet with the boys at Kubick Aviation; just to check them out. Last I checked KSAW had snow showers so I'll hang close to the Lake Michigan shore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, tigers2007 said:

I stumbled on this thread from a google search regarding low CHT's. I went up yesterday and the OAT at 7500MSL was -23C. My oil temp was in the green but my CHT's were quite low. I have yet to see definitive guidance on what temps are too low. I'll have to reread the POH.
I took this photo during cruise:
387acf0b444bfea8702a4760d03a4a50.jpg

I'd say your CHT's are pretty toasty considering -23°C at 7500 ft! That's 23° colder than ISA temperature which at that altitude is ~ 0° C.

You guys wanna know what happens to a mooney M20J without foil tape or some sort of airflow restrictor covering the oil cooler when temps get to -38C at 10,000ft indicating 160kts? It stops flowing and oil temps go to 230f and climbing fast. It requires slowing to a power setting that yields 110kts to keep from burning it down! That was running multi grade oil!

Ya don't ask me how I know all I can say is use protection, cover your cooler.

11 hours ago, tigers2007 said:

Sounds good. Makes me wonder if my oil temp is working correct. Granted -23C is only -10F. On takeoff it does show the oil temp to peak at the edge of the green arc on the hotter end so it does move around. In the world of digital monitors and such it's amazing how I can nit-pick such a thing.
On a separate note, I'll be departing KCIU for KIMT in about an hour to meet with the boys at Kubick Aviation; just to check them out. Last I checked KSAW had snow showers so I'll hang close to the Lake Michigan shore.

If you ever drop your Mooney off over here and need a ride, let me know.  If I'm around I'll run you home or pick you up.  Either the Rocket or the Lancair, your choice. 

Just now, Yooper Rocketman said:

If you ever drop your Mooney off over here and need a ride, let me know.  If I'm around I'll run you home or pick you up.  Either the Rocket or the Lancair, your choice. 

Roger that! Thank you very much for the offer! I made a posting in the Today's flight for 2017 thread regarding my visit. I will be back at the end of April or beginning of May to have the GTN installed along with a NGT-9000 and redo the panel.