36 minutes ago, HRM said:

"But I am down in NZ, in one piece, and there is no damage to the airplane. Sounds like a good day to me."

Brian is a total trooper--hats off to him!

I know Brian is trying to get to Oshkosh, as he should. I think they've got a parking spot saved for him at Show Center.

But having spend a lot of time in New Zealand, it's NOT at all a bad place to be stuck.

• Like 1

I think Brian has enough redundancy with the Aspens and GPS navigation. Where I would be concern is that all engine parameters and fuel onboard are all indicated on the JPI engine monitor. One small lightning strike on the prop can take away all the readings. With the factory gauges this does not happens. On a 2,000nm leg is nice to know fuel onboard and other parameters needed to optimize range. Prop lightning strikes are not uncommon when inside of an unavoidable thunderstorm were you cannot deviate due to limited range.

José

A true story

About 30 years ago Dave a British pilot in a Charter Navajo in the Bahamas ditched and was rescued by the Delta Clipper on its way from Haiti to America. Dave noticed that they were going in the wrong direction and took command of the boat. The following day the Delta was intercepted by the Coast Guard and Dave was happy for the CG rescue. The immigrants and Dave were taken to Guantanamo. Dave was accused of smuggling Haitians into the US and put in jail. Dave called his ex-wife in the US for help but she ignored him. Finally the Charter company in Nassau manage to get Dave out of Guantanamo one month later. When interviewed on TV Dave commented: "I should have waited for that cruise ship that was about 10 miles away". Choose your rescue wisely.

Edited by Piloto
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, BCrystal said:

Brian Lloyd reports from Hamilton New Zealand, that fuel contamination was found in the system. 

More info: http://projectameliaearhart.org/photos/

This view of a fuel screen shows a rubbery fibrous material. 

What is it?

Debris_in_fuel_filter_of_Spirit_19_July_2017_photo_by_Brian_Lloyd.jpg

Looks like an FBO needed to change the filter at the fuel farm, same stuff a buddy pulled out of his Cherrokee 

"The disappointing part of all of this is that, after the extra week of delay, it is unlikely that I will get to Oshkosh before it is over. In all probability, once I get to Atchison, Kansas, I will probably just return to Texas. The silver lining is that there is no pressure to be anywhere by a certain time so there is no need to push limits. I will finish this trip and I will finish it safely."

Brian has got to be the calmest pilot on the planet. He is completely immune from "getthereitis"--and that's a good thing!

• Like 2

That's an incredibly dangerous coating to have on any fuel screen. Or stuck in any line...

• one screen in each tank
  • one screen in the fuel selector (pictured above)
  • one for the fuel injection system(?)

Makes you want to rethink the fueling process to include your own filter prior to fuel entering the tank. Especially for those long over water flights...

Eeesh... great catch!

Best regards,

-a-

26 minutes ago, HRM said:

Brian appears to be ready to go. If you haven't done so, take a look at his log for an excellent explanation of what happened.

Thanks to Brian for his call out to Savvy Analysis and his recommendation for our services. I've had the pleasure of working with him these last few days. His issue was quite a puzzle! But I guess the good thing is that none of that contamination actually made its way into the cylinder to clog an injector thankfully or he really could have lost cylinders. 

Edited by kortopates
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, kortopates said:

Thanks to Brian for his call out to Savvy Analysis and his recommendation for our services.

I didn't know you worked for Savvy, thanks for the PIREP.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2017 at 7:58 AM, carusoam said:

Makes you want to rethink the fueling process to include your own filter prior to fuel entering the tank. Especially for those long over water flights...

I recall reading a story from the 70s (or maybe the 60s) about a guy that flew a Mooney Mite all the way to the southern tip of South America and back.  Fuel stops had to be carefully planned and sometimes scheduled way ahead so that they'd have a barrel of (probably 80/87 at the time) to fill up with.   Since the conditions were often fairly primitive they were routinely filling the tank by pouring through a chamois cloth to filter out as much as they could before it even got in the tank.   I've always wondered about carrying a chamois for cases where one might not be confident about what's getting pumped or poured.

The only person I've known personally who had an engine failure due to water in the tank was a victim of a fuel truck pumping the water into the airplane rather than the airplane accumulating it on its own.   There was so much water in the tanks that the entire sump sample was water, so since there were no "bubbles" they thought they were good to go.

This kind of thing does make me nervous sometimes.  It's a bummer that it's not more convenient to sample the gascolator on a Mooney.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, RLCarter said:

On the move, couple hours from Pogo, doesn't show up on flight aware for some reason, does show up on his map

There's no HFDL  (HF ACARS / ADS) in Spirit

So, flightaware and flightradar24 only track it when within UHF range of a ground station. 

The Project Amelia Earhart website tracker map works anywhere, via Iridium satellite email scrape, which reports lat/long/altitude every 10 minutes. If the Iridium tracking position is not accurate, it shows a yellow placemark. If it is accurate, it shows a red placemark. 

When over the ocean, the position reports to ATC are manual via HF SSB voice, usually hourly or at waypoints. Today, Brian's position reports to Auckland ATC for the MWARA SP (South Pacific) have been on 8867 kHz and 13261 kHz. 

Edited by BCrystal
  • Like 1