So, what's the cost of flying around the world like this?  

I'm not privy to the details but as I recall from the Facebook posts he burned through 20AMU in fuel, handling, and fees by the half-way point. 'Tain't cheap, particularly on his (Amelia's) chosen route.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I had once looked at the fuel required to fly to Europe... it quickly added up in AMUs.

Enough to not take things lightly when going this route.

Today's flight is half way done...

A scheduled flight of 12 hours landing in the land down under.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N916BL

Keep going BL!

Best regards,

-a-

On 6/30/2017 at 1:21 AM, carusoam said:

I had once looked at the fuel required to fly to Europe... it quickly added up in AMUs.

Enough to not take things lightly when going this route.

Today's flight is half way done...

A scheduled flight of 12 hours landing in the land down under.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N916BL

Keep going BL!

Best regards,

-a-

I was hoping I could make Europe for 10amus but that might be a huge underestimate 

1 hour ago, peevee said:

I was hoping I could make Europe for 10amus but that might be a huge underestimate 

I checked several years ago, and the cost of required EU liability coverage alone would have benn around $5k USD.  Maybe more now.  That doesn't even include hull coverage.

36 minutes ago, neilpilot said:

I checked several years ago, and the cost of required EU liability coverage alone would have been around $5k USD.  Maybe more now.  That doesn't even include hull coverage.

Probably need to put it at the bottom of the Bucket List :blink:

4 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

He's in Hamilton New Zealand... which some Aussies claim is their 7th State, but I'm pretty sure the Kiwi's still think they're an independent country.

Yeah, like we do with Canada.

Amelia Earhart’s failure to find Howland Island on the morning of July 2, 1937 was a radio navigation failure. Her announced intention was to find the island by using her Radio Direction Finder (RDF) to take bearings on signals sent by the Coast Guard cutter Itasca standing offshore Howland. In her pre-flight messages to the Coast Guard and in a radio transmission during the actual flight, she asked Itasca to transmit on 7500 kilocycles (kcs). Itasca sent the signals as requested and Earhart was unable to take a bearing.

Unlike a conventional ADF Amelia used a manual DF. On a DF the pilot rotates the antenna loop on top looking for  a signal dip on an S meter on the receiver. The bearing at the dip is then read at the dial on the cockpit ceiling. There is a 180deg ambiguity on these DF that was later resolved (sense antenna). But on these DF loops at frequencies above 1MHz the directionality of the loop is reduced and becomes very difficult to find the signal dip. At low frequencies the loop is an H field antenna but as frequency increases it start becoming an E field antenna.

Another factor on HF DF is that the signal propagation is via the ionosphere, not like a ground wave on lower frequencies 100KHz - 1MHz.  This why Loran C is on 100KHz vs the old Loran A on 1.7MHz

More on this at: http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Archives/Research/Bulletins/53_MiamiPhoto/53_MiamiPhoto.htm

José

KP4DAC

Edited by Piloto
  • Like 3