Quite a challenge for Magellan to find a passage to the Pacific via the southern tip of South America. This passage "Strait of Magellan" was in use until 1914 when the Panama Canal was completed. Skippers Magellan and Columbus really had guts for exploring the unknown and motivating their crew to follow them.  

Edited by Piloto
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Captain James Cook - April 1770 "discovered" Australia. Of course there were people there already, but he was the first European.

Turns out it is a little more complicated - and interesting:

http://www.australia.gov.au/about-australia/australian-story/european-discovery-and-colonisation

The first records of European mariners sailing into 'Australian' waters occurs around 1606, and includes their observations of the land known as Terra Australis Incognita (unknown southern land). The first ship and crew to chart the Australian coast and meet with Aboriginal people was the Duyfken captained by Dutchman, Willem Janszoon.

Between 1606 and 1770, an estimated 54 European ships from a range of nations made contact. Many of these were merchant ships from the Dutch East Indies Company and included the ships of Abel Tasman. Tasman charted parts of the north, west and south coasts of Australia which was then known as New Holland.

In 1770, Englishman Lieutenant James Cook charted the Australian east coast in his ship HM Barque Endeavour. Cook claimed the east coast under instruction from King George III of England on 22 August 1770 at Possession Island, naming eastern Australia 'New South Wales'. The coast of Australia, featuring Tasmania as a separate island, was mapped in detail by the English mariners and navigators Bass and Flinders, and the French mariner, Baudin.

This period of European exploration is reflected in the names of landmarks such as the Torres Strait, Arnhem Land, Dampier Sound, Tasmania, the Furneaux Islands, Cape Frecinyet and La Perouse. Expeditions between 1790 and the 1830s, led by D'Entrecasteaux, Baudin, and Furneaux, were recorded by the naturalists Labillardire and Pron.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Piloto said:

Hey Brian if you come across this island

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=party+girls+generation&view=detail&mid=9D6C400CB9F6D8A56ED69D6C400CB9F6D8A56ED6&FORM=VIRE

please let us know. It is somewhere in the Pacific. And if you decide to stay on it Amelia and us will understand.

José

Geez, What a dirty old man! :) Almost all my grandkids are older than those cuties.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, carusoam said:

Thailand, June 21...

Hello, Brian?

Hellooooooo.....?

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N916BL

Or did FA stop following...?

Best regards,

-a-

He's been stuck in Singapore for several days with a bad mag.

Brian posted 2 hours ago on their FB page:

Everything has been on hold while in Singapore waiting for a magneto. The magneto arrived this morning. We installed and tested it. Everything was all ready to go, I was just waiting for the permit to allow flight to Indonesia. We waited and a thunderstorm rolled over the field. We pushed Spirit back into the hangar, canceled the fuel order, and I scrubbed for today. And then the permit came through.

Now we need to get a NEW permit issued for tomorrow. That appears possible but I was advised to stick with the current plan of stopping overnight in Bandung. So now the whole trip through Australia has been set back another day. That schedule in Australia? Add 1 day to everything. This means that I am now probably going to slip a day going into New Zealand and arrive on July 6 instead of July 5.

In any case, I am now back to 100% myself. I am ready to be underway again. Magneto fixed, engine timing set properly again, oil changed, HF fixed, all good. I'm ready to finish the trip!

• Like 1