11 hours ago, HRM said:

Real pilots wear this (note wings):

Breitling-b-2.jpg

Automatic or self winding watches are not suitable for use in space. In the absence of gravity the internal weights have no weight. While the ambient light watches (Citizen Eco-Drive) can work with just the ambient light inside the space ship. I am ready for space. "Beam me up Scotty".

José

Edited by Piloto
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Piloto said:

Automatic or self winding watches are not suitable for use in space. In the absence of gravity the internal weights have no weight. While the ambient light watches (Citizen Eco-Drive) can work with just the ambient light inside the space ship. I am ready for space. "Beam me up Scotty".

José

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_Speedmaster

In light of the limited climb performance of our "C" space suitability was not that high on my list in regards of watch selection. Nevertheless I have to agree with Jose that the precision of the Eco-Drive far exceeds my Speedmaster.  

1 hour ago, cliffy said:

With where all he's going, what if he picks up a passenger named Montezuma on one of these long legs?  As you get older you tend to think of these things :-)

You don't want to know why it concerns me in a Mooney!!!!

IMG_1456.thumb.JPG.ca6cef74816190995f9429ea43b291dd.JPG

Maybe Ford offers a STC?

2 hours ago, cliffy said:

With where all he's going, what if he picks up a passenger named Montezuma on one of these long legs?  As you get older you tend to think of these things :-)

If I recall correctly, @201er almost had a flight companion like this on one of his Caribbean trips. :huh:

4 hours ago, cliffy said:

You don't want to know why it concerns me in a Mooney!!!!

I was just in Guatemala last month.  Violated every last 3rd world travel adage ever given.  Drank water with ice, ate lukewarm stuff, ate raw vegetables, you name it.  Not even a hint.  Nice to know I still have the GI tract of Superman.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, steingar said:

I was just in Guatemala last month.  Violated every last 3rd world travel adage ever given.  Drank water with ice, ate lukewarm stuff, ate raw vegetables, you name it.  Not even a hint.  Nice to know I still have the GI tract of Superman.

Oh, I would be careful of such talk! You know what they say about gear ups...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Piloto said:

José

When I take my E up into the stratosphere I just do a special hand-waving maneuver that gets the inertia going on those winding weights. Even though no one can hear you scream in space, there is inertia. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, N9495V said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_Speedmaster

In light of the limited climb performance of our "C" space suitability was not that high on my list in regards of watch selection. Nevertheless I have to agree with Jose that the precision of the Eco-Drive far exceeds my Speedmaster.  

Very interesting.

Unlike electronic quartz movement watches which are insensitive to movement mechanical watches are subject to movement and wear that can considerable affect the time keeping mechanism. The clocks on the GPS satellites are electronic cesium solar powered, not automatic self-winding mechanism. And yes, they are space qualified.

José

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Piloto said:

The clocks on the GPS satellites are electronic cesium solar powered, not automatic self-winding mechanism. And yes, they are space qualified.

José

GPS satellites typically have examples of both Cesium and Rubidium references for time standards.   Laboratories or other terrestrial places that need accurate time standards often have their own Rubidium standards, but these days a GPS-disciplined source (i.e., a relatively inexpensive source that leverages the atomic-standard reference in the GPS signal), suffices.   So, yeah, a wristwatch with a GPS receiver can be, potentially, as accurate as you may get.   In the US a watch that can occasionally listen to the WVVB signal from NIST in Ft. Collins can also do reasonably well, which I think is what the "Radio Controlled" clocks like that Citizen uses.   The NIST reference that drives the WVVB signal is, I think these days, based on multiple Cesium references.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Piloto said:

Nice. These are very accurate using radio timing signals.

The radio watches intended for the USA market use the WWVB 60kHz LF (Low Frequency) signal, useful in North America for small portable devices such as clocks and wrist watches.

This type of LF radio watch reverts to uncalibrated internal free-running quartz crystal while not within range of WWVB.

The LF radio calibration signals are broadcast by terrestrial transmitters. 

Usually, the cheaper LF radio watches are designed for a specific country's time signal broadcast frequency and unique digital protocol format. Some have multi-frequency LF and multi-format receivers for areas such as USA, Japan, and Europe.

More recently, GPS watches have become available.

GPS-based watch and clock calibration uses the 1.5 GHz signals transmitted by GPS satellites, which can be received anywhere on (or above) the surface of the earth. 

WWVB coverage map

wwvb_coverage_map.jpg

Edited by BCrystal

2 hours ago, EricJ said:

GPS satellites typically have examples of both Cesium and Rubidium references for time standards.   Laboratories or other terrestrial places that need accurate time standards often have their own Rubidium standards, but these days a GPS-disciplined source (i.e., a relatively inexpensive source that leverages the atomic-standard reference in the GPS signal), suffices.   So, yeah, a wristwatch with a GPS receiver can be, potentially, as accurate as you may get.   In the US a watch that can occasionally listen to the WVVB signal from NIST in Ft. Collins can also do reasonably well, which I think is what the "Radio Controlled" clocks like that Citizen uses.   The NIST reference that drives the WVVB signal is, I think these days, based on multiple Cesium references.

Correct as regards cheap national time and frequency standards.  I have seen the rubidium ones used in South Asia.  Pretty neat.  The boxes we used were about 3 inches thick and about 12 inches square - both connected to GPS signals.

You may have the most accurate clock but if not set to the correct time is useless. So how do you know when is noon time at Greenwich?

• UT1 is the principal form of Universal Time. While conceptually it is mean solar time at 0° longitude, precise measurements of the Sun are difficult. Hence, it is computed from observations of distant quasars using long baseline interferometry, laser ranging of the Moon and artificial satellites, as well as the determination of GPS satellite orbits. UT1 is the same everywhere on Earth, and is proportional to the rotation angle of the Earth with respect to distant quasars, specifically, the International Celestial Reference Frame (ICRF), neglecting some small adjustments. The observations allow the determination of a measure of the Earth's angle with respect to the ICRF, called the Earth Rotation Angle (ERA, which serves as a modern replacement for Greenwich Mean Sidereal Time). UT1 is required to follow the relationship
ERA = 2π(0.7790572732640 + 1.00273781191135448Tu) radians
where Tu = (Julian UT1 date - 2451545.0)[13]

Solar powered clocks were invented before winding clocks and they always were in time.
Check: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sundial

Edited by Piloto
  • Like 2

For a round-the-world flight such as this one, or for frequent foreign travel, it seems that a 24-hour face analog watch with multiple hour hands is great if you are comfortable with keeping 24 hour time. 

The marketeers often call it a GMT watch, but that is certainly a misnomer. 

If anything it should be a UTC watch! 

Greenwich Mean Time is not a time zone anymore.

Greenwich, England is not even on GMT time :) 

Digital display watches are fine for accuracy and multi-functions, but they are often difficult to read at a glance.

They fail at getting the feel of relative timing.

The Glycine Airman is the classic 24 hour analog face. 

Its rotating bezel and 2 separately settable hour hands makes keeping track of 3 timezones fairly easy.

The Airman is a mechanical automatic watch. There are Airman watches on the wrists of pilots today which have been keeping nearly perfect time for over 50 years... without requiring any battery change... just a few shakes now and then. 

The more recent (and much cheaper) quartz timebase Timex GMT provides both a "normal" 12 hour hand, and 24 hour hand (red in the photo) on the same face; it is powered by a simple battery. 

Accuracy for almost any watche is sufficient for aeronautical timekeeping, when you have digital GPS time display on the control panel in the cockpit, to set your wristwatch hack to. 

The only remaining thorny question for all of these watches, is:

"Do you set the calendar date to roll over at 0001 UTC, or at local midnight? "

Perhaps that is a personal choice.

Glycine_Airman.png

Timex_GMT.jpg

Edited by BCrystal

13 minutes ago, BCrystal said:

For a round-the-world flight such as this one, or for frequent foreign travel, it seems that a 24-hour face analog watch with multiple hour hands is great if you are comfortable with keeping 24 hour time. 

The marketeers often call it a GMT watch, but that is certainly a misnomer. 

If anything it should be a UTC watch! 

Greenwich Mean Time is not a time zone anymore.

Greenwich, England is not even on GMT time :) 

Digital display watches are fine for accuracy and multi-functions, but they are often difficult to read at a glance.

They fail for getting the feel of relative timing.

The Glycine Airman is the classic 24 hour analog face. 

Its rotating bezel and 2 separately settable hour hands makes keeping track of 3 timezones fairly easy.

But, alas, the Airman is a mechanical automatic watch.

The more recent and cheaper quartz timebaseTimex GMT provides both a "normal" 12 hour hand, and 24 hour hand (red in the photo) on the same face; it is powered by a simple battery. 

Accuracy for almost any watches is sufficient for aeronautical timekeeping, especially when you have digital GPS time display on the control panel in the cockpit, to set your wristwatch hack to. 

The only remaining thorny question for all of these watches, is:

"Do you set the calendar date to roll over at 0001 UTC, or at local midnight? "

Perhaps that is a personal choice.

Glycine_Airman.png

Timex_GMT.jpg

And unlike the $3,000 Breitling watch you can get the Timex for $67.99 but no wings. https://www.overstock.com/Jewelry-Watches/Timex-Mens-T2P427DH-Intelligent-Quartz-3-GMT-Brown-Leather-Watch/10014213/product.html

• Like 1

I have an Eco-Drive and love it.  I researched the fancy automatics for a few months and decided most weren't worth it if I wanted accuracy and worry-free.  I could throw this thing in my drawer and forget about it for 3 months then slap it on and as soon as it gets any kind of suitable light be it natural or artificial it will spin up the hands and get back to it. The drawer thing is pretty much what happens to my Casio Pathfinder as I mostly just use it now when I go adventuring outdoors. It gets a taste of that light and picks up right where it left off. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

The have never paid more than $100 for a watch and can only assume that those who do are either attracted to fine machinery, which I can understand, or jewelry or status symbols, which I really can't. Good on you, though. We all have our "things". 

Jim

I like the machinery of them. Most seem to use eta movements these days, some budget watches like the tissots use eta. I stopped buying automatics for a couple reasons, I don't wear my watch on the weekend and without a winder box they sometimes quit by monday morning. Second I like a Chrono and the auto Chrono watches tent to be really thick.

I have been lusting for a steinhart pilot Chrono though. For now I'm wearing a cheap Hamilton quartz Chrono. Have for 3 or so years. Two batteries.

On June 15, 2017 at 0:06 PM, Bob_Belville said:

It's a real world "word problem" that most folks who work for a living know well. "If I want to plant tomatoes 16" apart, how many tomatoes can I plant in the 60' row?" Be careful.

Okay. I will say 46? 60x12=720 inches  16 into 720 is 45. One plant on each end equals 46?

i will go read the the whole thread now just to see how bad I failed. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, revwatch said:

I have an Eco-Drive and love it. 

+1 I have had my eco-drive Skyhawk since 2005.  It is the same model that @Piloto posted, minus the unfortunate Blue Angles paint job.  After 12 years and 11 deployments it is still running strong.  I have found that it gains around a second a week, so I am forced to reset it about once a year to stay within a minute of the Master Clock.  Mine was before the Skyhawk had the atomic option.  But I figure it cost about $25 per year at this point, averaged out, even most Wal-Mart watches can't compete.

• Like 1

I have a weakness for watches. I like the precision of the mechanisms, I like the detail of the workmanship. These are the three pilot watches that I own. The only one I paid for was the Cassio Eco Drive, the Bell & Ross, as well as the Rolex were rewards won at work. All of them have the GMT/UTC function. The Rolex is the most accurate followed by the Cassio and then the Bell & Ross. But the B&R is definitely the easiest to read in the cockpit.

Screen Shot 2017-06-17 at 6.01.16 AM.png