15 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

Not that it really matters, but Greenwich Mean Time (UTC) is its own time zone.

5 time zones before Greenwich Mean Time, plus Greenwich Mean Time Zone  plus 5 time zones after Greenwich Mean Time = 11 time zones.

https://www.timeanddate.com/time/map/

But really Paul was correct to begin with because Texas is minus 6, so that means 12 total time zones so far, and that's half way around the world.

I still disagree. We'll have to get some Einstein stuff in here to get this straith: Lets assume each time zone covers the same ground distance which is 1/24 the curcumference of the earth, lets say 1000 miles to make it easy. Lets also assume that he left texas from the middle of the time zone (GMT - 5) it sits in and where he landed is also in the middle of the GMT + 5 zone. Draw this on a piece of paper and you will see he travelled the equivalent of 10 time zones (10000 miles), not 12 and not 11. It would be 11 only if he would have left on the western edge of the GMT -5 zone and landed exactly on the easter edge of the GMT + 5.

IMG_3535.JPG

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

Naw. You count the first or the last but not both. Except Hebrew time where Friday Night to Sunday Morning (< 48 hours)  is "3 days".

Again not that the world will stop spinning either way, but if he's in Pakistan it's fair to say that Brian Lloyd had been in eleven time zones so far.

5941f527361be_ScreenShot2017-06-14at9_31_54PM.thumb.png.47de3059348ab2a78db37f36e819e4ad.png

• Like 1

Just now, LANCECASPER said:

Again not that the world will stop spinning either way, but it's fair to say that Brian Lloyd had been in twelve time zones so far.5941f3c2ab1c8_ScreenShot2017-06-14at9_31_54PM.thumb.png.31ab459a07ba4885e4a2f54c48542f99.png

Yup. But he's only half way when he crosses into the 13th. By your method I've gone 1/24 of the way around the world, say 1000 miles, and I haven't left my chair.

Just now, Bob_Belville said:

Yup. But he's only half way when he crosses into the 13th. By your method I've gone 1/24 of the way around the world, say 1000 miles, and I haven't left my chair.

I didn't look at the dot on Pakistan close enough. I corrected it to say that he's been in 11 of the time zones so far.

4 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

I didn't look at the dot on Pakistan close enough. I corrected it to say that he's been in 11 of the time zones so far.

Just to belabor the point, even if it were 12 it would not be half way. To go half way he'll have to traverse 12 full time zones. That means crossing into the 13th. 

FWIW, this is a common thing in engineering and programming and is often referred to as an "off by one error" and sometimes the "fence post problem".   The latter being a reference to how many fence posts do you need to build ten sections of fence?   You need 11.   It's an example of a common "off by one error".   They happen all the time because, like the time zone thing, the logic isn't always obvious and the pitfalls plentiful.

I think what we have learned, however, is that he's a long ways from home.   ;)

• Like 2

Stephen,

I was wondering that myself...

In the past, I had difficulty following flights properly.

Selecting one thing in settings in flightAware seems to show everything.

Find the setting for 'show position-only flights' and select it...

hope that works... :)

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cliffy said:

Read the wiki on "fence post error" or "OB1"

I've been retired for 10 years now I have a headache!  :-)

Man, what a flight. Now he gets to join the "Rounders" club. Very exclusive.

Oh Cliffy, don't blame retirement, the greatest invention of mice & men, maybe the Arizona sun?

Bob Belville, creatively retired since September 12, 2001. 

12 hours ago, EricJ said:

I think what we have learned, however, is that he's a long ways from home.

Nah, what we've learned, or rather confirmed, is that no matter what the thread Mooniacs will drag it down some off beaten path and beat it to death.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

My problem is that I travel too much to ever know what timezone I'm in. All I know is that I'm perpetually jet lagged. 

Sitting in the Nairobi airport waiting on a flight to Frankfurt > Chicago > Austin.

Sitting in Bangkok, just in from Yangon and waiting for Brian to show up at the airport on Sunday.  Meetings are tomorrow (Friday) and all next week.  Then I get to go home for two months, try out the new eyes with the plastic lense implants after cataract surgery and then fly the living Beegees out of my Mooney for as many days as possible.

Gooooooo Brian!!!!!

• Like 3

Although not necessary to understand where he is, it is very interesting to me, to have people discussing things like the "off by one" error. I have run into it in construction stuff, but never knew it had a name. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

Although not necessary to understand where he is, it is very interesting to me, to have people discussing things like the "off by one" error. I have run into it in construction stuff, but never knew it had a name. 

It's a real world "word problem" that most folks who work for a living know well. "If I want to plant tomatoes 16" apart, how many tomatoes can I plant in the 60' row?" Be careful.

2 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

It's a real world "word problem" that most folks who work for a living know well. "If I want to plant tomatoes 16" apart, how many tomatoes can I plant in the 60' row?" Be careful.

Ok, I'll take the bait . . . Only 4 I think, but if you want them 12" apart you can plant 6.

Just now, LANCECASPER said:

Ok, I'll take the bait . . . Only 4 I think, but if you want them 12" apart you can plant 6.

Yeah, the pesky problem with word problems is that you have to be able to read very carefully. Try again.

Bob, multiple "800" college boards in math, Belville