What an adventure!  By the way, the first successful circumnavigation of the world by a member of the fairer sex was undertaken by Geraldine "Gerry" Mock, a housewife and mother of three from Columbus Ohio.  Her Cessna 180, which she called Charlie still hangs in the Smithsonian at the Udvar-Hazy center.

5 hours ago, steingar said:

What an adventure!  By the way, the first successful circumnavigation of the world by a member of the fairer sex was undertaken by Geraldine "Gerry" Mock, a housewife and mother of three from Columbus Ohio.  Her Cessna 180, which she called Charlie still hangs in the Smithsonian at the Udvar-Hazy center.

Impressive lady. See her achievements: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerrie_Mock

Maybe Brian's Mooney will be the first to hang at the Smithsonian.

8 minutes ago, Piloto said:

Maybe Brian's Mooney will be the first to hang at the Smithsonian.

Why? It's a neat trip and something I wish I could do but is he first for anything?

A local traffic girl took time off to fly around the world. In a pc12 probably donated, with handling by jeppesen, probably donated, and a second professional pilot...

I saw the Mite hanging from the ceiling not long ago...

Not hanging in this photo though...

https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/mooney-mite

not sure Brian is going to want to donate his bird after the trip is done. :)

Muscat, Oman... today   http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N916BL

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

It looks like Brian just landed in Karachi Pakistan which is roughly half way around the world.  He departed from Texas which is in the GMT-5 timezone and landed in Karachi which is GMT+5, which makes it half way.

Congrats on an epic flight.

2 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

It looks like Brian just landed in Karachi Pakistan which is roughly half way around the world.  He departed from Texas which is in the GMT-5 timezone and landed in Karachi which is GMT+5, which makes it half way.

Congrats on an epic flight.

That makes it 10 hours difference Paul, not 12...

Yves

9 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Damn math!

Karachi is 67 E Longitude; San Antonio is 98 W Longitude so he's traveled through 165 deg of long or about 46% of the way by that measure. (Time zones are not very uniform, China has only one instead of the 4 or 5 it would have in a non-political world.

http://www.worldtimezone.com/

• Like 1

Just now, LANCECASPER said:

Wouldn't it be 11 time zones?  

+5 =    5

GMT= 1

-5 =     5

My problem is that I travel too much to ever know what timezone I'm in. All I know is that I'm perpetually jet lagged. 

Sitting in the Nairobi airport waiting on a flight to Frankfurt > Chicago > Austin.

45 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

Hopefully he'll meet up with some Mooney Pilots in Australia

He might be meeting one in Bangkok, Ned is going to be there around these dates. Not sure if his work schedule will allow this but the potential is there.

Yves

3 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

Yeah, the 11 is correct, the difference is the American DST.

I disagree. GMT is 0 not one. If you are at GMT -5  and you compare with GMT + 5, that is 10 hours difference. GMT does not care about daylight saving time. It is a reference.

Yves

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yvesg said:

I disagree. GMT is 0 not one. If you are at GMT -5  and you compare with GMT + 5, that is 10 hours difference. GMT does not care about daylight saving time. It is a reference.

Yves

Texas is Central Time, GMT -6. (minus 5 during DST) 

59 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

Texas is Central Time, GMT -6. (minus 5 during DST) 

Paul said GMT - 5, I went from there. Looking at the map you sent, I still see 10 time zone difference, not 11. Sorry for the proscratination... this is what I do for work, raise bugs when something is wrong.

Take care Bob.

Yves

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yvesg said:

Yves

Not that it really matters, but Greenwich Mean Time (UTC) is its own time zone.

5 time zones before Greenwich Mean Time, plus Greenwich Mean Time Zone  plus 5 time zones after Greenwich Mean Time = 11 time zones.

https://www.timeanddate.com/time/map/

But really Paul was correct to begin with because Texas is minus 6, so that means 12 total time zones so far, and that's half way around the world.

4 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

Not that it really matters, but Greenwich Mean Time (UTC) is its own time zone.

5 time zones before Greenwich Mean Time, plus Greenwich Mean Time Zone  plus 5 time zones after Greenwich Mean Time = 11 time zones.

https://www.timeanddate.com/time/map/

But really Paul was correct to begin with because Texas is minus 6, so that means 12 total time zones so far, and that's half way around the world.

Naw. You count the first or the last but not both. Except Hebrew time where Friday Night to Sunday Morning (< 48 hours)  is "3 days".