Round The World Flight, Project Amelia Earhart 1937-2017, in a Mooney Airplane

On an early June morning in 2017, pilot Brian Lloyd will climb high into the sky above Florida in his Mooney M20K 231 airplane named "Spirit". His objective will be to retrace an historic equatorial flight route for Project Amelia Earhart, commemorating 80 years since that famous attempt at circumnavigating the world in 1937.

Project_Amelia_Earhart_2017_Brian_Lloyd_Flight_Patch_240px.jpg

For Brian's solo round-the-world flight, his classic single engine aircraft has been newly refitted with a suite of modern cockpit avionics. Also, a Micom 3 HF radio and antenna system has been installed for long distance aeronautical communications, as well as the opportunity to talk with ham radio operators during certain phases of the flight. An additional fuel tank boosts the extended range for long oceanic route segments. In addition to the normal electronics gear such as VHF and GPS, the airplane equipment includes computer, satphone, ADF, DME, and Stormscope. 

The aircraft position will be tracked by satellite on the project's website. The flight will attempt to keep to the historic Earhart calendar schedule as closely as possible, crossing the Caribbean, South America, Mid-Atlantic, Africa, Middle-East, Southern Asia, Southeast Asia, Australia, and the South Pacific.

Brian Lloyd comments, "At this point the planning shows that longest leg of the flight will be from Fiji, across Howland Island (where Amelia and Fred disappeared), and then on to Kauai, Hawaii. That leg is 2,788 nm (3,208mi or 5,163 km) long. The flight time for that leg will be about 15 hours." 

There are no landing facilities on Howland, so he will overfly the island, dropping two leis, one each in memory of Amelia Earhart and Fred Noonan. The commemorative flight's final destinations include a stop at Amelia Earhart Airport in Atchison, Kansas, then on to the 2017 EAA AirVenture in Oshkosh Wisconsin USA on Monday 24 July. 

Link: Project Amelia Earhart website

Link: Project Amelia Earhart Facebook page
Link: Project Amelia Earhart funding page

Link: Project Amelia Earhart Youtube Video
Link: HF Radio system in the Mooney

Project_Amelia_Earhart_Cover_Image2_820x360.jpg

Mooney_20K_231_N916BL_Lloyd_Aviation_3d.jpg

Edited by BCrystal
  • Like 1

Brian Lloyd recently posted the following on the project facebook page:

"... asked if I would be carrying a SPOT tracker so people can see where I am all the time. The answer is YES. You will be able to see the position of the plane at all times. I will post the URL for tracking the plane once we start doing flight testing.
In addition, the aircraft is equipped with an Iridium satellite phone which will allow me to post email and Facebook updates while flying."

Brian Lloyd asks: "This brings up one more thing -- I need a small group of support pilots who can monitor the world-wide satellite weather, watch my position with SPOT, and help me steer around any severe storms. I have Stormscope (sferics-based lightning detection) and that should also help me avoid thunderstorms but having another set if eyes looking at satellite weather as well as sending me METARs and TAFs from the route will help a lot.

Contact Brian Lloyd directly on the Project Amelia Earhart page on facebook.

Mooney_20K_231_N916BL_Lloyd_Aviation_SIDE_300px.jpg

Edited by BCrystal
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Press Release: 

Pilot Embarks on Earhart 80th Anniversary Flight

Brian Lloyd Solo Flight Follows Historic Amelia Earhart Route
Miami, Florida, USA, June 1, 2017 – As pilot Brian Lloyd propels his single-engine plane named “Spirit” into the sky on a solo round-the-world adventure, he commemorates Amelia Earhart’s famous flight eighty years ago on this date in 1937. The two month flight will follow Earhart’s historic route to circumnavigate the world at the equator, which starts in Miami, skirts South America, crosses the Atlantic, then Africa, and onward around the world.

Prior to departure from his home airstrip in Texas, Brian Lloyd said, “I am driven by the spirit of historic flights. It is important to remember the aviation pioneers like Amelia Earhart, and their contributions to aviation. Their bold actions made today’s air travel possible for all of us.”

“My father taught me to fly when I was 14 years old. Aviation is in my family, both of my sons are pilots.” Mr. Lloyd said.

He is actively communicating while in the air. The public can track his flight on the web, social media, as well as Ham radio.

“I’ve been a ham radio operator since 1976 and enjoy radio communications very much. The flight route has some very long legs, so I will have plenty of opportunities to talk with ham operators while flying over the world’s oceans,” Brian said.

Commercial airliners fly long distances every day, but non-stop ocean flights are quite difficult for small propeller planes, which have limited range. To make it possible, Brian Lloyd modified his 1979 Mooney airplane to carry 150 gallons more fuel, then equipped it with modern navigation equipment, long range radio, and satellite communications. Still, the flight is not without risk, and special safety gear must be taken along. The public can track his flight on the web, social media, as well as Ham radio.

About: Brian Lloyd, 62, is a pilot, flight instructor, engineer, educator, and radio operator. He lives near San Antonio, Texas, USA. The commemorative flights are co-sponsored by The Classic Aircraft Aviation Museum, a non-profit in Texas, and many other individuals who contribute to supporting the flights through donations.

Project Amelia Earhart website: http://projectameliaearhart.org 
Press Kit: http://projectameliaearhart.org/press

Brian_Lloyd_pauses_prior_to_flight_of_airplane_Spirit_21MAY2017_Spring_Branch_Texas_USA_768px.jpg

Brian_Lloyd_prior_to_flight_of_airplane_Spirit_21MAY2017_in_Spring_Branch_Texas_USA_768px.jpg

Brian_Lloyd_checks_oxygen_mask_in_preparation_for_flight_of_airplane_Spirit_21MAY2017_in_Spring_Branch_Texas_USA_Credit_Pete_Vincent_768px.jpg

Edited by BCrystal
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, yvesg said:

His path on the tracker seems to be erratic. Technical probkem with his device maybe?

http://projectameliaearhart.org/tracker/map.php

Yves

It seems to be a data parsing problem in the web system.

The zig-zag line is due to lat/long truncation (rounding) to 4 decimal places.

Web admins are looking into it. 

Edited by BCrystal
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Supposedly it's any easy flight in a Mooney. Brian's done it many times before he outfitted his 231 for super long range and over water crossing.

Too far from here, I'd need 4 days of flying round trip

TJIG is the first airport Amelia landed after leaving Miami. In 1937 it was essentially an open field to allow landing of non amphibious planes. Most inter island flights on those days were carried by amphibious planes. TJIG is next to the Old San Juan city were the El Morro Castle is located https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castillo_San_Felipe_del_Morro A lot of Spanish history dating back to 1500s. In 1928 Lindbergh landed in San Juan at TJIG. http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675031389_Charles-Lindbergh_Governor-Horace-Towner_welcome-Lindbergh_Spirit-of-Saint-Louis. Pan AM service to Puerto Rico in 1935 with video clips of the old San Juan http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675052087_harbor_Sikorsky-flying-boat_Ford-Trimotor-airplane_tourists_street-scenes

José

On 6/2/2017 at 3:17 PM, Piloto said:

TJIG is the first airport Amelia landed after leaving Miami. In 1937 it was essentially an open field to allow landing of non amphibious planes. Most inter island flights on those days were carried by amphibious planes. TJIG is next to the Old San Juan city were the El Morro Castle is located https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castillo_San_Felipe_del_Morro A lot of Spanish history dating back to 1500s. In 1928 Lindbergh landed in San Juan at TJIG. http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675031389_Charles-Lindbergh_Governor-Horace-Towner_welcome-Lindbergh_Spirit-of-Saint-Louis. Pan AM service to Puerto Rico in 1935 with video clips of the old San Juan http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675052087_harbor_Sikorsky-flying-boat_Ford-Trimotor-airplane_tourists_street-scenes

José

TJIG is a great airport to do pattern practice.  Loved turning crosswind by the Caribe Hilton and then flying downwind right by Old San Juan, turning in base again after El Morro Castle.

Fernando

1 hour ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

the only time in my life I have ever been propositioned by a hooker it was in the lobby of the Caribe Hilton in San Juan.  I think I should have been offended, not by the proposition but by the fact that she was older and, dare I say, less attractive than I was.

Hookers are attracted to money, not looks :lol:

I am in Yangon now and sent Brian a note that, depending on how it goes, I could meet up with him here on the day of his "planned" arrival.  I leave for Bangkok that evening, one day before he does that leg.  

Good Luck Brian!!!

• Like 1