Money interior size

MD11pilot

I am big.  6'1" and about 255 with a knee replacement.

my wife is short with a double knee replacement 

she knows how to get in and out of a Bonanza 

realistically, what is the comfort level in most Mooneys and it has been years since I flew one 

Welcome aboard MD11.

Mooneys celebrate and take all types of people.

There is a thread from late last week that started the same way...

The important part is if you like speed and efficiency, you have come to the right place.

Being 6' doesn't make you tall....

Being 250# doesn't make you big...

...In the Mooney world.  :)

See if you can find a few threads around here where people explain their large and tall and short and small experience.  There are so many strategies developed for even old and frail people to enjoy a good Mooney flight.

We have a guy named Yetti around here with some good first hand experience...

There are so many adjustments that can be made.

Even if the two of you are 6' and 250#...

Or 4' and 100#.

Hope you like speed and efficiency.  We've got that...

Best regards,

-a-

See this one...   

Edited by carusoam

My wife is 70 with one knee replacement. She's worked out Mooney egress just fine. The copilot seat is the least graceful of the 4 positions. Compared to your C182, our low seat position is comfortable once you're seated but a challenge to get up and down for more feeble folks. 

Morning MD11!

I am one of those similarly constructed as you. At 6'5" and 215#, I can slip in and out of my J with relative ease. As noted above, the leg room I find very similar to a British Sports car (think MGB or Austin Healey) in that it is stretched out in front of you rather than the seats in a 172/182. I have carried 4 full sized adults in my plane (with partial fuel) including my 6'8" son in the back seat. While it might not be the best for a 4 hour flight for someone that size in the rear, it is fine in the front.

There are also several threads discussing flights with older passengers who may take more time getting in and out, but do so without much difficulty. The steps up to the door are not all that steep. The biggest problem your wife might encounter is seeing over the glare shield without either an adjustable copilot seat or a pillow.

Tell us an airport near you, and you will likely have multiple volunteers fly there for the two of you to check out the various models.

Thanks to all.  Skmoore63, I fly for the Brown.

my wife and I live in the Austin Texas area and have a T hangar at Georgetown.  When I get home next week my wife and I are planning on doing a bike ride down to Kerrville to visit the factory and see the Bluebonnets on the way.  We have looked at Cessna, 182, 182RG, 210, Bonanzas and it was suggested to look at the Mooney.  

Buying the right plane is frustrating.

MD11,

The new  models are relatively comfortable and are about the same to get in an out of as the earlier models.  I added memory foam to the front seats of my Bravo.  I fly long distances on occasion so I am in the airplane 8 hours or so with one gas stop.  Memory foam really helps support the legs and back on long hauls.  Latest models are roomy enough so pilot and passenger can move around a little bit.  Seats have adequate adjustments opportunities.  I have owned small Moonies, a Baron and T210.  the Bravo in not as good as a 210 but OK.  Bicycles are tough to get through the baggage door.  Good Luck in your search.

6 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

My wife is 70 with one knee replacement. She's worked out Mooney egress just fine. The copilot seat is the least graceful of the 4 positions. Compared to your C182, our low seat position is comfortable once you're seated but a challenge to get up and down for more feeble folks. 

my 80year old IA showed me a cool trick for the copilot seat.  Just lift your butt out of the seat and onto the wing.  then slide down off the front.  If you dont have a beer gut that wont pass the door it makes it really easy to get out.  My CFII has started using the "fred" method and likes it.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I'm 6-2 and 190 so I don't have as much mass but the technique is called the Mooney Roll.  step down into the co-pilot area facing the rear of the plane bend down and do a CCW 180 degree roll into the pilot seat. 

I suspect the 182 would probably be the most comfortable and ease of getting out other than perhaps a C177 which has huge doors.  If you look at the C177 look for the 200HP RG types they are almost as fast and efficient as a Mooney.

I do the crouch, extend, slide over.   Crouch into the copilot area, extend the legs into the pilot foot well area then slide the rest of my furry frame over into the pilots seat.

To extract myself, crouch onto the pilot seat, dog crawl to the copliot seat, and then stand up on the wing.

I could see a funny video being made soon

On 14/03/2017 at 7:02 AM, TheTurtle said:

Just lift your butt out of the seat and onto the wing.  then slide down off the front. 

I'm 6'3" tall and had right knee replacement surgery 4 months ago and that is exactly how I started to egress.  I did the reverse to enter by opening the door, sitting between the open door on the wing walk then sliding up onto the passenger seat then across into the pilot seat.  This is also how mechanics do it.

I liked it so much, I do this most of the time.  I find it quicker and no chance of slipping.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mooney in Oz said:

to enter by opening the door, sitting between the open door on the wing walk then sliding up onto the passenger seat then across into the pilot seat.  This is also how mechanics do it.

I liked it so much, I do this most of the time.  I find it quicker and no chance of slipping.

+1

18 years of Mooney ownership and I've been getting in/out this way the entire time.  I never even thought about it until I read this thread.

mine likes Bobs is 70 with two knee replacements gets in and out fine, it is an art, she tried out the new Acclaim with two doors and had a difficult time getting in on the pilot side. its what you get used to

• Like 1

We own a 231.  I'm 68, 6'1 and 215#. One knee replaced 4 months ago and the other will be scheduled in the not to distant future.  Wife has had both hips replaced.  Neither of us have any real problems ... except exiting after 4 hours or so ... only because we get a little stiff.  I've had my wife's cousin who is 6'4 and about 225# seated behind the copilot for 3 1/2 hours on a couple of occasions.  He says he's more comfortable there than sitting in coach when flying commercial.

Another way to get in is to have the seats fully aft, stand in the co pilot position, put your left hand on the brace above the compass, then sit down into the co pilot seat using your arm to help control you on the way down.  Once seated, scoot across to the pilot seat.  Getting out is the reverse.  One of the MAPA instructors showed me that trick.

Best method of entry for me is 

Stand on wing walk facing the door

Place right foot on the floor in front of the co pilot seat

Reach in with left hand and grasp grab handle on the co pilot a pillar

swing left leg in to either sit in co pilot side 

or swing left leg far enough to sit on the pilot seat and bring right leg in place

• Like 1

Getting in Non -Ultra or Ultra copilot side

1) left hand on center post

2) Right hand on grab handle by door

3) Right foot in footwell

4) swing butt in, sit down.

Ultra pilot side, opposite hands and feet as above.

Getting out Non Ultra co pilot side

1) Right hand outside on top of windscreen

2) Left hand on center post

3) Stand up and twist to face centerline of plane

4) step backwards onto wing with right foot then left

Opposite hands and feet on Ultra pilots side

Enter facing backwards.  Kneel on the passenger seat facing backward. Spin counter clockwise and you will be seated properly in the pilot seat.  Passenger steps in to plane facing forward.  Grab the handle with right hand and sit down.

Russ

There is another method to get in that works quite well:

Stand on wing next to door (single door Mooneys).

Place LEFT foot into plane in front of copilot's seat.

Reach in with left hand and grab the top of the steel post above compass.

Use left hand to keep you from falling into the copilot's seat.

Step into plane with rgt foot, and either lower yourself into the co-pilot's seat, or aim your butt towards the pilot's seat and you

will almost make it there (you probable will be sitting on the Left side of the pilot's seat).

Getting out, do not use the door as a handle.  Put one or both hands on the aft part of the door frame, lean your body into the 

aft part of the door frame to stabilize yourself and step out.

John Breda

I would caution against using the seat back as a hand rail. The steel Mooney seat frames are not the most robust things. 

Hopefully if it can support your upper body during turbulence, it can support a fraction of your weight. Your legs should be doing most of the work, your arms are just providing stability and a little push forward.
If someone has 2 bathroom scales they can do an at home test: place scales on 2 chairs, get on 1 knee between them and stand up noting the maximum weight you put on the scales.