Stec55 upgrade to 55x

The only significant diffferance is the built in GPSS in the 55X. You could add the S-TEC ST901 GPSS and have the same ability. Chances of the DFC 90 seems to be slim to nil. More likely is the Dynon 10A AI approved for the Mooney and which has autopilot capability. That 10A AI  is being further approved by the EAA to use the internal autopilot feature. 

• Like 1

I used to fly Archers in a local flying club. They upgraded the S-Tec 55s in all three aircraft to 55Xs. So they clearly thought it was worth it. YMMV ofc as your priorities/desires may be different. I found it a bit of a pain to have to make every turn manually and then re-engage the A/P so I was happy they went that way.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jetdriven said:

Where did you hear this?  The S-TEC autopilots all  use the T/C for autopilot input. I dont see how a D10 EFIS could be approved to supply rate-of-turn inputs to the autopilot. 

Go onto the Dynon website to read about the capabilities of the D10A AI. The unit available for our Mooney's incorporates the same features as the experimental version. One of those features is the autopilot function. One would need to purchase the servos and the control module in addition to the D10A AI to enable its functionality. The cost appears to be a around an additional $2000. The EAA is working on getting the autopilot functionality approved for certified aircraft. The AI portion plus other features like AOA is already approved. It does not supply inputs to existing autopilots but rather will replace an existing autopilot at substantially reduced costs as opposed to upgrading an existing S-Tec 30 to a 55X. The functionality of the D10A autopilot function when approved may well be similar to the 55X. Hope that helps. 

Edited by Cris
  • Like 1

$3500 may be pricy, an Stec ST901 GPSS just sold for 595 on e-bay,,new about $2000, often you can get them for $1000 to $1500. It's just a separate button,unit, not on the Stec 55, it depends if you want it all on the same box. I'd try to get the 55x for a little less and roll with that., a nice unit.

• Like 1