M20J Fuel pressure drops as engine warms up

Congratulations Robert, it would be reassuring to find an instrumentation problem. The old transducers are highly suspect. Unfortunately my transducer is fairly new and I had the system calibration verified. I'm afraid a new fuel pump is on my short list. 

My fuel pressure only drops to 14-15 psi, right at the bottom of the green pressure range. Pressure comes back to 22-25 at idle so I am suspecting the pump capacity may be failing. I'll post an update when I get mine solved. 

Greg 

• 1 month later...
On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 11:55 AM, Robert A. Reed said:

Greg, I put new O rings in the sump drain. Ran it up. Still had the problem! Did a full power check. Fuel Flow was solid, but fuel pressure did not improve! About 10psi.

I put it back in the hanger! My mechanic told me it probably needs a new Fuel pump, or the servo needs overhaul! I pulled the old fuel pressure transducer (probably original), it had small grains of Something coming out of it! I put on new transducer! Checked for leaks. Ran it up! It held 24-25 psi just fine!! I think the problem is solved! I will check it again when I get the cowling on and fly it!

Bob

I have flown the plane a couple of times since new transducer. Holds 22 lbs in flight! Fuel flow is normal! Fixed!!

Bob

Have a similar problem with indicating low flow even after replacing engine driven and boost pump on my Cont IO550.   Plane has original  201 transducer...where did you get yours ?

On May 21, 2017 at 7:08 PM, BobAustin said:

Have a similar problem with indicating low flow even after replacing engine driven and boost pump on my Cont IO550.   Plane has original  201 transducer...where did you get yours ?

The Floscan 201 measures flow rate, the OP is referring to fuel pressure, a different transducer entirely.

Clarence

I thought that is what you meant Bob! BTY, how does the Rocket fly? I had a N35 Bonanza with a 260 in it. Always something Expensive wrong when I wanted to fly! Sold it. Got a 201. The 550 must be a blast!
Bob

Well the NA io550 for 201 by Rocket Engineering is called Missile. 231 conversion is tsio520 called Rocket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk