Instrument Rating...finally!

It took 3 years and about 70 hours under the hood.

On Friday March 10, I passed my instrument check ride!

Big day for me. Learned how to fly at 51 and now 56.

Glad to have done it in my mooney. Got kicked around a lot on Friday with

the wind up here in the Midwest.

IMG_8161.JPG

• Like 31

Congrats.  Now keep it up!  It's way to easy to use the auto pilot as a crutch.  I spent the last 3  weekend days trying to beef up my hand flying proficiency.  Yesterday I hand flew an LPV, breaking out at 250 AGL with less than 2 miles of visibility.   It was nice to see the airport right about the time I was getting ready to go missed. 

55 minutes ago, MooneyPTG said:

Wish I had an auto pilot. Always am hand flying

The auto pilot is really handy when ATC gives you some crazy modification to your clearance.   --I can't scan well and dork around with the GPS.....

• Like 2

Congratulations!  I use my instrument rating ALL the time.  It's much easier to start off IFR and cancel, than the other way around...

Yesterday I headed up to TN to pick up a friend, and the ceiling was around 600'.  Tops were only 4K.  Everyone else was grounded, but not us IFR guys! 

• Like 1

Just curious - what avionics are installed in your airplane? I'm considering updating my '68 C for ifr training. It seems to me that the least expensive practical way to go is Garmin 430 or 530 - reasonable likely-hood of support for a few years yet. An avionics AMO I know thinks that there will be "major announcements" by a couple of manufacturers this year that might change the landscape a bit, but not sure I want to wait for that.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 3/12/2017 at 5:11 PM, MooneyPTG said:

Wish I had an auto pilot. Always am hand flying

My autopilot's inop at the moment (long story, but it's getting fixed).  Best alternative is a friend.  Take someone along who can hold things straight and level while you take your eyes off of stuff.  They don't have to be Chuck Yeager, they just have to be able to hold the wings level!

• Like 1

Congratulations! Just a thought on continued training. On October 6-8, 2017 the MAPA pilot proficiency program will be held in Dubuque, IA. It's a great opportunity for you and anyone else up here in the Midwest to get Mooney specific training close to home. With a freshly inked IR, you should really consider attending. I live in Iowa and have already signed up. I've heard nothing but good things about it here on MS and this will be my first one.

• Like 2