Who was your first Mistress and When

Pritch

C-FSWR is my second aircraft - the first being an eleven-person partnership in a Piper Arrow.  Neither were a "mistress."  

I love to fly.  

I like my Mooney.  It is demanding and extremely capable.  But love......?  That is for the girl - not the aircraft.

Not exactly on point, but my dad flew his Stinson back from the factory in 1947 when I was almost 2 years old. I grew up in the back seat then front seat. Got most of my ratings in it. Bought it from him in 1972 and it's still mine, although languishing in an extended rebuild. So for 70 years she has been my emotional home when it comes to aviation. Watches patiently as I have my boyish flirtations with the likes of my M20C, but remains the one constant in my life.

• Like 4

77 Piper Dakota. About a year after getting my ticket I realized renting wasn't the way for me. Partnered up with a friend and leased it back to our flight school. She treated us well but I learned the lease back was not all I thought it would be. (Availability and service not up to my standards). From there I was bitten by the Mooney bug, 1979 231 with whom I learned all about turbo aircraft (great airplane just not for a partnership), then a 1977 201 which seemed like a step back, and now a 1999 Screaming Eagle. 

Being my first, the Dakota will always hold a special place in my heart.

1969 Cherokee 180 1993-1998. She got me from IFR - CFII. I only subbed the Arrow when I had to. I keep warning my boss that a mistress is on the way, but we keep kicking the can for a number of reasons. I'm thinking 12-18 months out to start the new affair.

1966 C, she was all I had hoped for.  We flew many wonderful hours together.  Unfortunately, she died when her right main gear collapsed on landing.  Worst thing I could have done was to allow the insurance company to total her...  That was in 1997, haven't owned anything since, but am finally ready to look for another.

Interesting thread, I have called my E "The Mistress" since I've owned her.

Like a French mistress, she and wifey are aware of each other and grudgingly co-exist. She gets expensive baubles more frequently than wifey.

My kids get a big kick out of this and made a photo book of the plane a few years ago for my birthday titled "The Mistress". 

I have another mistress now, my AMG, which I call the "Petite Mistress". Nothing really petite about her other than she is smaller than the E and not as fast. Wifey hates the AMG almost as much as the Mooney. It's pretty much my flying and driving :rolleyes:

My mistresses get along well together, however; here's the "Petite Mistress" giving some air to "The Mistress":

58c5c400f2664_GLA45N5976Q.thumb.JPG.2e7fd7ecb9a4623ca1b7286e7c938117.JPG

Two mistresses is about my limit. Keeping them and wifey happy is a full time job.