Engine break in with Phillips oil

MooneyBob

Agree must go with the overhauler.  It's interesting to note however that a very good engine shop thinks Phillips 20/50 XC is just fine:

http://www.zephyrengines.com/breakin.pdf

I got zero guidance from my shop after rehoning two cylinders and used Phillips 20/50 XC without issue - oil consumption stablized to <1qt/10hrs within the first 5 hrs.  

Wish I could recall the oil guru who long ago advocated Philips X-C for break in. Advantage being viscosity on start up and keeping bad stuff in suspension in the process. I've run in a number of Continental cylinders on it with good results.

I think the issue with using a mineral oil is it accelerates wear on high pressure surfaces with little or no extra saftey factor such as cam to lifters. Sure it debatably may help set the rings faster but there are parts that can't tolerate the extra wear.

But I broke in my cylinders running LOP and with 20w-50w standard Phillips x/c oil so what do I know. 1 qt in first 15 hours of consumption ain't bad though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aaron , and DXB are you still running the Phillips 20w-50 in your planes after break in? My plane has a new cylinder and that is what they put in it. I was told the Phillips is good for the life of the engine? 

2 minutes ago, xcrmckenna said:

Aaron , and DXB are you still running the Phillips 20w-50 in your planes after break in? My plane has a new cylinder and that is what they put in it. I was told the Phillips is good for the life of the engine? 

I am still running 20w50 XC.  Will add camguard at next oil change - not good for initial breakin.  I run Aeroshell W100 plus camguard in the summer

• Like 1

22 hours ago, teejayevans said:

So if you replace just 1 cylinder, how do you break in one without accelerating wear on everything else?

Shouldn't use camguard or the like because anti scuff agents as I understand it prevent rings from seating. Just use correct oil for break in for the type of engine in question and run hard. Will not hurt the other cylinders  since these engines are made to run high % power all day. 

As Anthony says, this is just the understanding of a pp as I am definitely no mechanic!

regards, Frank

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bravoman said:

Shouldn't use camguard or the like because anti scuff agents as I understand it prevent rings from seating. Just use correct oil for break in for the type of engine in question and run hard. Will not hurt the other cylinders  since these engines are made to run high % power all day. 

As Anthony says, this is just the understanding of a pp as I am definitely no mechanic!

regards, Frank

Exactly right.

On 3/16/2017 at 11:31 PM, DXB said:

Will add camguard at next oil change - not good for initial breakin.

I've heard this before too, but thus far just a rumor. Is there any definitive Camguard info out there that would explain the reasons why Camguard shouldn't be used during break-in?

My situation is I just replaced two cylinders with new ones due to low compression on my turbo Continental -MB engine.  The other four cylinders have compressions in the low 70s with about 400 hours SMOH.  So, I'll be doing the break-in with Phillips XC 20W50 and wishing I could add Camguard during this break-in period to protect the rest of the engine while the two new ones get broke-in...

Thoughts?

maybe it increases the risk of bore polishing during  break in.. you want friction there from ring debris.  even the inventor of camguard recommends using it after break in is complete.  maybe do a couple long flights, then add the camguard after the break-in is complete

46 minutes ago, Jsavage3 said:

I've heard this before too, but thus far just a rumor. Is there any definitive Camguard info out there that would explain the reasons why Camguard shouldn't be used during break-in?

My situation is I just replaced two cylinders with new ones due to low compression on my turbo Continental -MB engine.  The other four cylinders have compressions in the low 70s with about 400 hours SMOH.  So, I'll be doing the break-in with Phillips XC 20W50 and wishing I could add Camguard during this break-in period to protect the rest of the engine while the two new ones get broke-in...

Thoughts?

Camguard manufacturer specifically recommends not using for breakin because of anti-scuff additives

• Like 1

A good way to cause a pre-mature cam failure is when overhauling or replacing one cylinder is to run straight mineral oil in a attempt to break in the cylinder.

Normal 20w-50w Phillips for break in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk