Starting issue and solution

I learned a very good piece of information today relating to our starting system. This knowledge came from my friend who went flying with me today. I'm not sure how similar the staring system is across the variety of mooney's but mine is a 63C.

We pulled the plane out of the hangar this morning and all was well until I turned The ignition key. Rather than a turning prop, all I got was an odd electrical noise from an unknown source. There was no clicking or anything that I was used to seeing and hearing. The battery was fully charged, engine had been kept warm overnight, and there was no obvious issue. I gave up and just backed the plane into the hangar. 

Thankfully, my friend is a little more knowledgeable on this issue than me. He also noted that the starter solenoid did not seem to be working as needed. His recommendation was to tap on it since it was easily accessible to shake it loose. So, that's what we did and sure enough, the prop started to turn. All was normal after that. 

His guess was that the cold night must have just done a number on the solenoid and it simply needed some help to start working again. If it weren't for him, not only would I have missed out on a great day to fly but would also have spent money to have someone look at it for absolutely no reason. So, if anyone ever experiences a similar problem, give this simple and easy solution a try. 

I've never had the solenoid stick on my plane but growing up on a farm and working around construction equipment all my life taught me to "tap" the solenoid before giving up completely.

If it sticks once it will very likely stick again.

Also, it can be really annoying if the next time it sticks is after starting.  The starter can remain engaged in the ring gear.  Happened to me years ago and, while the engine was running ok, there was an unusual sound.  I shutdown, and then arranged for a repair.  The shop told me that if I had continued to run the engine, the stater would have likely caught fire.

16 minutes ago, neilpilot said:

Also, it can be really annoying if the next time it sticks is after starting.  The starter can remain engaged in the ring gear.  Happened to me years ago and, while the engine was running ok, there was an unusual sound.  I shutdown, and then arranged for a repair.  The shop told me that if I had continued to run the engine, the stater would have likely caught fire.

So, should I replace the solenoid?

When the starter stays engaged with the engine... the starter generates electricity like a generator. But it is uncontrolled...

Some Mooney's have an indicator for that.  Probably based on over voltage...?

The sound of it staying connected is probably noticeable...?

The way the starter is supposed to become disconnected is by speed and momentum...(?)

Something to try, clean and lubricate the mechanical parts. They get dirty and get light corrosion effects over time...

Stuff I learned with my M20C.  It's main starting oddity was the starter didn't engage with the fly wheel ring gear.  You would here the starter whirr, but the prop never moved....  lots of rusty color dust where the issue was.  Clean and lubricate...

does that sound familiar?

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam