CIES and EDM 900 Going in M20F

I am interested in this install. I want to do the same thing to my 75F, but the panel space is a problem in my plane. You are removing all the OEM gauges? Where is it going to be mounted? I have a EDM 700, will the 900 use the same harness?
Thanks!
Mike

I've got a 700 w/ff and am going with the 900. Did u get any trade up credit on the 700? And if u have fuel flow can u use the existing transducer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, flyer7324 said:

I've got a 700 w/ff and am going with the 900. Did u get any trade up credit on the 700? And if u have fuel flow can u use the existing transducer?

I have not done the upgrade, that is someone else on here. I do not know if the 700 wiring harness works with the 900 or not.

20 hours ago, flyer7324 said:

I used the harness that came with the 900. My other FF was Shaden so no assumed compatibility. The JPI I had was CHT/EGT only. 

• 3 weeks later...

Update, CIES units in EDM 900 In, we are doing the fill calibration tomorrow. Heads up if anyone does this pay CLOSE attention to the dome nut plates on the fuel tank access panels (including but not limited to the oval panel right by your fuel cap). Apparently when the panels were installed by a prior owner's mechanic , either 1) someone used too long of screws or 2)  excessive sealant was used on the screws and when they were screwed into their flush position the sealant hydraulically locked the screw prior to it bottoming out and becoming flush with the skin. This resulted in pressure blowing the ends of the domes off and running down/partially sealing some, others not as well. That resulted in  some of the panels weeping fuel around the screws. When the panels were removed, it wasn't apparent that the (sealed over...mostly) dome nuts were *all* compromised. So, if you have weeping panels, this may have happened on your aircraft. This aircraft was apparently sealed up by one of the commonly mentioned wing re-seal shops and i think this likely happened there.  We had to order and replace all the domed nuts. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I am interested in this thread.  I am just down the road from you in Conway, AR (KCXW) with a 252 that has an EDM 700 currently.  I am looking to do this very upgrade.

I am most interested in your shop in Rogers.  A local buddy used a guy in Hot Springs and was dissatisfied with the install or maybe the issues they have run into as a result of the install.  Another friend used a place in Fort Smith but it was very expensive (labor) because they had never done one before.

As you (and I) have had the EDM 700 prior, I am hoping that helps a little with at least the routing of the sensors.

Hi @Bryan , I had an EDM 700 in my last plane but had a very limited function engine analyzer in my current M20F prior to installation. You might get things like power/grounding out of it but I don't think you will get much compatibility (guessing) out of the sensor wires, but at minimum you may be able to use them to pull cables through. I don't have the 201 windshield so did have the advantage of the stock, external avionics access panels so that probably helped a bit. If not taking the sweat equity route, I would go somewhere else besides the shop I used. Maybe somewhere familiar with mooney tanks and sending unit R & R for the CIES,  and avionics shop familiar with EDM installation. If you can find the 2 in one, that is even better. I do have a couple of remaining issues. 1) manifold pressure runs all over the place, presumably due to the requirement for a snubber in the line due to the pulse intensity of the io360 being a little much for the EDM sensor to interpret and 2) my amp meter usually shows 0 and sometimes 1 or 2 for a brief moment before returning to 0. Still working that issue. 

Edited by Stephen

Thanks Stephen, those are the kinds of things others have stated and was hoping for a little different shop maybe somewhere close.  Yes, I was talking about the physical routes of the previous sensor cables - not reuse.  Like you said, using them to pull the new ones thru the firewall and using the existing holds in the CHT/EGT/TIT, etc.  I would use all new sensors and wires.

Thanks for the PIREP.

• Like 1

Hi Stephen, hope you do not mind me jumping in your thread, I am getting ready to have a bunch of work done on my plane and your post was hit home to me on many fronts on where and how to reshape my Panel. I am putting in a JPI EDM 900, and some avionics work, a second 430, ADSB IN/OUT GTX 345 and a G5. I have measured it out, but, realistically wondered if putting the JPI EDM in the spot I have depicted will fundamentally fit where the current cluster of guages is. My thinking is I am used to closely scanning right there, so placement would be consistent to where I scan now. I welcome yours and the communities feedback. Thank you in advance.

NewPanel.jpg

1 hour ago, M20C_AV8R said:

Hi Stephen, hope you do not mind me jumping in your thread, I am getting ready to have a bunch of work done on my plane and your post was hit home to me on many fronts on where and how to reshape my Panel. I am putting in a JPI EDM 900, and some avionics work, a second 430, ADSB IN/OUT GTX 345 and a G5. I have measured it out, but, realistically wondered if putting the JPI EDM in the spot I have depicted will fundamentally fit where the current cluster of guages is. My thinking is I am used to closely scanning right there, so placement would be consistent to where I scan now. I welcome yours and the communities feedback. Thank you in advance.

@M20C_AV8R Here is my panel layout: this kept my 6 pack in place and let me have the EDM in a convenient place. This deleted quite a few instruments; you can see some of the covers and there are more on the RT side out of view in addition to the nix'd strip gauges. Chris @Marauder (thanks again Chris!!!) was kind enough to hook me up with his old panels which I will use to upgrade. The EDM 900, as you can see, ...just... fits in landscape orientation where it is. 

file-1.thumb.png.242cc4792f57c6fa4cd625b0a88af3cc.png

That looks really good @Stephen why not go with portrait mode and use that extra opening for a G5, CDI or another backup instrument? Guess there is no reason why you cannot change that in the future, lots of room there to make some good decisions with. I am looking forward to using and learning the EDM. Did you add any additional sensors? I added in the carb heat sensor. I also stuck with the resistive based senders as they actually work quite well, at least with the current gauges, we’ll see, maybe CIES is in the future.

2 hours ago, M20C_AV8R said:

NewPanel.jpg

I would keep working the design to see if you could get the analyzer in a more visible position. The 900 comes with a remote annunciation light but having these gauges (Including fuel gauges) in your line of sight is something you will want. It looks like you will need to cut a new panel to get the 345 in, so maybe you can either eliminate the backup tach, FP and MP or do what I did and go with EI 2.5 gauges. 

DC58B778-5D96-43D5-9E82-5E153CD82D7A.thumb.jpeg.4d32d2ff218bae4e7c741377227dba98.jpeg

9 hours ago, M20C_AV8R said:

That looks really good @Stephen why not go with portrait mode and use that extra opening for a G5, CDI or another backup instrument? Guess there is no reason why you cannot change that in the future, lots of room there to make some good decisions with. I am looking forward to using and learning the EDM. Did you add any additional sensors? I added in the carb heat sensor. I also stuck with the resistive based senders as they actually work quite well, at least with the current gauges, we’ll see, maybe CIES is in the future.

Im looking to go more of Marauder’s direction with the Aspens so this is temporary for now