how do you remove the overhead vent knobs?

If you could simply pull them off, they would vibrate loose in flight and/or turbulence. Not a good thing. Look for a set screw, you may need a small Allen wrench. Standard of course, there were no metric tools in Texas back then.  :lol:

I believe they were installed from above.... or at least when the whole assembly was down and then mounted.  I believe there is a "7/16 nut on the backside.  You might be able to get a proper wrench up there....  or you could mask it off and spray it in place.   I think that is my plan.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Yetti said:

I believe they were installed from above.... or at least when the whole assembly was down and then mounted.  I believe there is a "7/16 nut on the backside.  You might be able to get a proper wrench up there....  or you could mask it off and spray it in place.   I think that is my plan.  

I completely refinished the ceiling components several years ago. Yetti is right. If you remove the screws holding the main ceiling panel up you should be able to slip a wrench on the nut on the top of the knob shaft. If you have a parts manual (203) reference figure 54, page 234.

Mooney Parts page 234.pdf

• Like 2

While we're on the subject, does anyone have a source for these vents?  I removed and patched cracks in ours a few years ago, but they've developed new cracks.  And one of them was smashed to smithereens by an errant headset removal.  I'd actually like to replace them with something other than plastic, but barring that, I'd take salvage, new stock, or maybe even an owner-produced 3D printed part (anyone have a shapeways link?)

7 minutes ago, Vance Harral said:

While we're on the subject, does anyone have a source for these vents?  I removed and patched cracks in ours a few years ago, but they've developed new cracks.  And one of them was smashed to smithereens by an errant headset removal.  I'd actually like to replace them with something other than plastic, but barring that, I'd take salvage, new stock, or maybe even an owner-produced 3D printed part (anyone have a shapeways link?)

Have you asked LASAR? Jerry Pressley or Alan Fox might have something.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, carusoam said:

Generally, in the 60's and 70's all knobs had set screws.  The shaft they were mounted on had a matching flat spot...

Yep. Hard to see the set screw hole as it is close to the base of the knob. You have to press the louver gently to access it. Allen screw.

• 5 years later...
On 3/10/2017 at 3:34 PM, rbridges said:

I'll look again.  I took a quick glance and didn't see one.

Some knoob put a set screw with a screwdriver slot in one of my knobs, so I’ve got one with the allen head set screw and one with a jeweler’s screwdriver set screw.