M20J armrest hardware

n5756k

My armrest broke off and I need the metal hardware the holds the seat and armrest together.

If anyone has this laying around in their hanger I sure would like to buy it.

Please call Tom Moquin 847 340-2325 or answer thru this chat room.

Thanks,

Tom Moquin

1984 M20J

armrest two.jpg

armrset one.jpg

Wow, you have armrests . . .  :wub:  That looks simple tomfix, you just need the broken (likely shoulder bolt) piece that holds it together. It's barely visible in the part on the seat  while you took a closeup of the part on the arm.

Looks like the part on the seat was threaded and is now stripped.  Seems like if you opened up the armrest there would be a bolt in there flopping around.  It's threads will probably be buggard.   Would not be hard to fabricate a new piece that goes on the seat. Seems like there is also a spring involved somewhere.

Have not ever played with a seat rest off a mooney, just going by pictures.    I wondered about adding an arm rest. This helps.

1 hour ago, Brandontwalker said:

My initial thought was a tap and new, slightly larger, bolt. Am I oversimplifying this?

The material is very soft. 

If I ever do an interior refresh in mine, I'll likely get the seats recovered and just remove the arm rest, covering the spot with upholstery.

Does that one little bolt hold the arm rest in function? If so it doesn't appear strong enough to be able to withstand any kind of downward pressure as an armrest should. 

I was looking to add an armrest a while back and called several MSC's to see if anyone had any on their shelf. Finally Don Maxwell talked me out of it. He said to me that I'd regret it. I wonder if this is why he said that! I also remember that Lasar had one of their own they were selling. 

I wonder if adding any armrest and attaching it to the seat is legal. Is it considered a major alteration because it involves the seat structure? I've thought on and off of designing one on my own. There are mechanisms available that can be used to make a nice strong armrest but I don't know if it's legal. I wouldn't want to render the airplane non-airworthy for an armrest!

Also the kit from Mooney lists a certain serial number range. I wonder why that is. 

5 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

The material is very soft. 

If I ever do an interior refresh in mine, I'll likely get the seats recovered and just remove the arm rest, covering the spot with upholstery.

Paul, if you remove it and if in decent shape I may buy it from you. Please let me know.

It looks like it would be supported by the bolt and the locating pin.  so there would be strength in that.   If you find that there is a bolt in the arm rest...  seems like a tap may be in order.  The attach to the seat back part looks like steel. There may be a backing plate of something. To remove you may half to remove the seat back.... mine is just screwed on.  The seats come out pretty easy.   Forward lift, back lift off the tracks after you remove the stop pins or cotter keys.

If you are going to remove the back of the seat, then you could use the same size bolt and just put a locking nut on the longer bolt and do no drilling or tapping.

Since you are working on the plane, you have to have a parts manual....  so that should clear some things up instead of just some mythical creature making guesses on the internet.

Mythical large furry creatures are not A&P rated. yet.

• Like 1