WE NEED ANOTHER EXECUTIVE ORDER

Plane in avionics shop for misc. upgrades including EDM930, GTX345 transponder as well as Garmin's new stereo panel. So far so good.

Decided to install the new G5 attitude indicator, as a back up, now available for certified aircraft.  Called shop and placed request.

Shop supervisor told me the new G5 was not certified for backup, they could only install the G5 as a primary unit. Huh?

A bit confused, I thanked him and hung up. Called Garmin tech support and rep said, " I am sure that is not correct, but let me check with my supervisor."

Long story short, The G5 cannot be installed as a back up unit.

It seems the certification process is so costly, Garmin decided the juice wasn't worth the squeezing and will not pursue  FAA certification as a backup unit.

Now, where is that executive order when you need it?

Best,

2 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

So whats the issue.  You install it in place of the turn and bank and call it your primary unit. Where your primary unit is pplaced is irrelevant.   You then later on in life (two weeks later) install your actual primary as a primary and just dont use the other one as a backup.  Or am i missing something here.

I don't see where the issue is either.  Install the G5 and label it "primay" and the original as "back up or standby"

Clarence