Do we have any dentists here?

FloridaMan

5 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

ok here is the Brit talking, free NHS care and all that....I am not a Dentist, but I am the son of two consultant surgeons (one of whom helped ALL you guys out there with your ladies).

So the answer is simple......., is the tooth falling out, rotting away, is it causing you pain?  No?  Well leave the bloody thing alone then.  Let Nature decide how you look.  If the answer is yes, go to a Dentist, there are two on here I now of and both have answered this thread.

Of course if you are from the deep south, and chew Tobacco, then you don't need to worry because you wont have any teeth anyway, they will have fallen out long ago.

Andrew

You know the stereotype in the US for UK teeth, right?

teeth-austin-powers.jpg

Groovy baby!

• Like 1

The real question you ought to be asking is what kind of airplane does your dentist fly? If he flies a Cirrus, he makes too much money and must be overcharging. If he flies a Bonanza, it's a death trap. If he flies a Cessna or Piper, must be a lousy dentist cause he can't afford something better. Now if he flies a Mooney, then it's just right and you should trust your teeth to him. Unless it's Peter Garmin, he has bad Yelp reviews.

Edited by 201er
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, Hyett6420 said:

hmm more like the guy who worked out the hormone balance to control the ovation cycle.  Then his compatriot in the USA patented the research!

Ovation cycle?   Are we talking about women or airplanes?

• Like 5

4 hours ago, rbridges said:

I don't think that's the case. I'm sure several of us, including myself, will be willing to help when we get a response and some more details.  This has got to be one of the most helpful forums I've ever seen. 

Sorry, I should have put a smiley on. Just poking fun at me and us.

• Like 1

I know some guys here that will permanently fix your tooth problem , they will save you a tons of money . Just get them upset ! You will need a denturologist to complete the work . those are not as expensive ! :lol:

22 hours ago, Antares said:

For the "too long; didn't read" crowd: dentist talked me into making an appointment for veneers. I don't see the need and am having second thoughts. 

For those of you with more time and I appreciate the consideration. This certainly a first world problem akin to deciding whether it's worth painting in Imron or not. 

I've got a bit of a dilemma. My teeth are fine and I have a competent dentist that I've been going to off and on for 15+ years. Somewhere in-between I managed to get unlucky from another dentist and end up with a bit of lingual nerve damage, supposedly it was from a local anesthetic that people don't use anymore.

My two upper central incisors came in a bit spotted and discolored and I had some bonding put on them 20+ years ago. One tooth had it come off while I was still in high school about 18 years ago, the other is original, but stops about 0.5mm from the gum line. I'm absolutely fine with how my teeth look. My own girlfriend didn't even notice. My dentist has been pushing me to get veneers on those two ever since I started seeing him and I finally caved this last visit. I paid them to take molds, they showed me the wax mock-ups today and they added on an "occlusal adjustment" to the visit where they're going to pull the bonding off. 

I've got some anxiety about the procedure and am having second thoughts, possibly related to the occlusal adjustment, possibly related to being completely comfortable with how they look as it is, possibly concerned that I'll spend all this money and end up with teeth that make me look like Sarah Jessica Parker or Mister Ed. One of the selling points I've been given is "well that bonding will come off and you don't want it to happen when you're out of town." The way I look at it, what's there has stood up to my lifestyle for decades. I grind on rare occasion, and am aware of having done some grinding after getting a filling that left my bite a bit uneven (I also have to ask how much I should trust a guy who makes a filling that leaves a bite uneven to make an occlusal adjustment). I have some concern that I could chip a veneer where the bonding has held up. 

I'm in there 3x a year for cleaning and the occasional whitening anyways. As for now, it sure feels like I'm being sold something that I don't need by a competent, capable dentist who, much like a body builder, tattoo artist, or a stripper, has an idea of exactly how things should look that 99% of the rest of the world doesn't even notice. It sure seems like the right thing to do is to postpone the procedure until the bonding fails, or, at the very least, until I feel a bit more enthusiastic about it. 

I don't know the specifics but based on what you've described here are my observations and recommended course of action: You should not feel pressured as if you're being "sold" something. This indicates a lack of understanding. You should understand why your Dentist is recommending a procedure. Either you are not understanding his reasons, which may very well be more than cosmetics, or he has not explained it to your satisfaction. My advice to you would be to call them and ask them to put things on hold before laboratory fees are incurred, and ask for an appointment to sit down with him so he can explain it to you. Then, once fully informed, you can proceed accordingly. You don't have to feel enthusiastic about the procedure but you should also realize that you are not a Dentist and you should trust him to help you make certain decisions that you should not be making. You are under his care and he is responsible for your well being. And it sounds to me he has your best interests in mind. 

• Like 6

Veneers are beautiful restorations but like your bonding, veneers can come off also.  The veneers will look better esthetically.  If you're happy with the way your teeth look then I would probably for go the veneer treatment.  Ask your dentist if you can keep the diagnosis waxed models you paid for.  That way if change your mind you won't have to have them redone.  If you decide to have the veneers done your dentist can show you what they look like in your mouth prior to permanent cementation.  If you don't like the way they look then your dentist can send them back to the lab and try to change them to your liking.  Make sure you communicate all concerns to your dentist.

6 hours ago, 201er said:

The real question you ought to be asking is what kind of airplane does your dentist fly? If he flies a Cirrus, he makes too much money and must be overcharging. If he flies a Bonanza, it's a death trap. If he flies a Cessna or Piper, must be a lousy dentist cause he can't afford something better. Now if he flies a Mooney, then it's just right and you should trust your teeth to him. Unless it's Peter Garmin, he has bad Yelp reviews.

My orthodontist used to have a 172 but scared himself in it a couple times, including getting caught above an undercast and needing vectors to find an airport (not instrument rated). He no longer flys and says he doesn't think he can afford it now. But he has two offices which are always full of patients. 

-Robert

8 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

hmm more like the guy who worked out the hormone balance to control the ovation cycle.  Then his compatriot in the USA patented the research!

I always thought that the Ovation cycle was best controlled by speed balance: precise speeds on downwind, base, and final. Are you saying that Al Mooney stole that from a Canadian? What a rascal!

7 minutes ago, Rustler said:

I always thought that the Ovation cycle was best controlled by speed balance: precise speeds on downwind, base, and final. Are you saying that Al Mooney stole that from a Canadian? What a rascal!

Andrew lives in London. England, not Canada. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hank said:

Andrew lives in London. England, not Canada. 

I thought we were talking about the guy who was doing the research, not Andrew. But, yes, by inference the researcher might have been British. The real shame here, however, is still that Al Mooney stole the Ovation cycle research and patented it here.

take this with a grain of salt since I haven't been able to evaluate your case personally.  

It sounds like what he is recommending is 100% cosmetic.  If the original bonding was placed to address issues with the appearance of your teeth, then it probably wasn't necessary.  If you're truly 100% happy with the way things are, you're functioning comfortably and your dentist can't show any issues with what you present, then there is no need to pursue it.

Personally, veneers are a great restorative option.  They look a thousand times better than bonding, and hold up much longer.  If it were my mouth, that is probably the route I would go, but it's your mouth, and you need to do what you feel is best.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2017 at 4:47 PM, Antares said:

I've got a dilemma and am starting to get cold feet about some dental work I've got scheduled and could use a second opinion from someone who doesn't stand to make money on me. 

I'm a doctor, but not of the dental kind. I will share the wisdom passed on to me by a very wise Army dentist--don't pull good teeth and don't mess with anything unless you have to; i.e., if your bite and chewing capabilities are working, leave the rest alone. This was when I was a butter-bar 42 years ago. Now, I still have all my teeth and the hygienists regularly praise what good shape they are in. I have friends that got caps, veneers, posts, whatever over the years who are now in misery.

It's like flying. If there is a little doubt in the back of your mind as to whether or not you should TO, don't go!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, HRM said:

I'm a doctor, but not of the dental kind. I will share the wisdom passed on to me by a very wise Army dentist--don't pull good teeth and don't mess with anything unless you have to; i.e., if your bite and chewing capabilities are working, leave the rest alone. 

It's why I still have my wisdom teeth. Got pestered for decades to pull them but never heard a good reason. So they're in my head to this day. Eventually had to pull a moler that cracked but otherwise no dental work, never even a cavity  

-Robert

• Like 3

I am a recently retired periodontist who spent much of my career teaching in dental residencies. Peter, Rbridges, and Kerry, have given you good advice. Talk to your dentist about the plan so that you understand how it may, or may not, make sense depending on your specific situation.  Ray

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

We are British.  Damn colonials. 

How do the "British" come from "England"? Sure, it's "Great Britain" when you lump England, Scotland, Wales and the tippy top of Ireland all together, but that ain't right either. And our British man from England has a problem with us folks from a former colony that out fought the mother country? Hmmmmm . . . .

At least we all fly the same majestic machines, made right here in the New World (even though we don't all live here).

I know nothing about it, so am quite qualified to form an opinion. My wife was in a different situation a few years ago, and decided against veneers as, at that time anyway, it sounded like they had to grind your tooth pretty far down, you were locked into veneers, and they did not last forever. I imagine you already know this. Of course, if you are to appear on the big screen it would not be an option. Good luck either way.

On 3/9/2017 at 11:11 PM, DonMuncy said:

I don't know when I have seen such an unhelpful crowd. About 16 or us and only one guy offering to help.

I'm very glad to help, but I have a very narrow area of expertise within dentistry.