Do we have any dentists here?

FloridaMan

Ditto with the DVM degree. Go Tigers.

If you had listened to your mother when she told you about those sweets, you wouldn't be in such a predicament now.

Advise not trying to treat yourself. I fractured a upper molar and tried to repair with super glue. After 10 days another failure, so had to go back with Bondo.

Bondo seems to fix just about anything.

Glad to help any way I can.

Best,

• Like 2

I graduated from dental school and am licensed by the dental board in four states so most people would say that makes me a dentist. However I don't do what most people think of as dentistry. I am a dentist anesthesiologist.

There are three year full time dental anesthesia residencies that dentists can do after dental school. I'm the associate program director of one of them. We provide the full spectrum of anesthesia services in dental offices, surgery centers and operating rooms for dental patients. There are less than 300 of us in the country which explains why very few people including most dentists don't even know we exist. Today I did a nasally intubated five hour anesthetic for an oral surgeon that did a double all on 4. Sweet case :D

* Mooney content: I flew from Tucson to Las Vegas this morning in my Mooney 231, did the anesthesia for the oral surgeon in his office, then flew home in the Mooney. I was home for breakfast and dinner.

** I'm also a periodontist but I haven't practiced periodontics in over 16 years.

• Like 6

I'm a general dentist.  Give me some details and I'll try to help.  Whenever I have patients question my treatment plans I recommend they go to another dentist for a 2nd opinion.  You should get your current X-rays and treatment plan then get a 2nd opinion.  Your current dentist should understand.  If he or she doesn't understand then I recommend you find another dentist.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, kerry said:

I'm a general dentist.  Give me some details and I'll try to help.  Whenever I have patients question my treatment plans I recommend they go to another dentist for a 2nd opinion.  You should get your current X-rays and treatment plan then get a 2nd opinion.  Your current dentist should understand.  If he or she doesn't understand then I recommend you find another dentist.

Glad someone's willing to help a Mooney brother out - hopefully without getting sued by another one ;)

Now can someone here tell me why it burns when I pee :blink: ?

• Like 4

Antares...this is what you get asking for free dental advice....every possible bit of advice from which hotel to stay at ,offer to sue if bad result,advice from a dental gas passer,tv actor,math guy ,guy with suspect gonnorea,oh and some really sincere advice from a dentist who should know better than to get involved.Heres my advice...tell your wife you are going to the dentist,than when you get to the waiting room,fake a heart attack or maybe a epileptic grand mal seizure.Make it a good one with lots of slobber and dramas.After you do this ,no body in that office will bother you again.Take the money you save and buy new avionics or paint job for your Mooney.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DonMuncy said:

I don't know when I have seen such an unhelpful crowd. About 16 or us and only one guy offering to help.

I don't think that's the case. I'm sure several of us, including myself, will be willing to help when we get a response and some more details.  This has got to be one of the most helpful forums I've ever seen. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Antares said:

I've got a dilemma and am starting to get cold feet about some dental work I've got scheduled and could use a second opinion from someone who doesn't stand to make money on me. 

Glad to help with anything you need Antares. There are options in Dentistry which may be difficult to navigate through. PM sent.

• Like 1

For the "too long; didn't read" crowd: dentist talked me into making an appointment for veneers. I don't see the need and am having second thoughts. 

For those of you with more time and I appreciate the consideration. This certainly a first world problem akin to deciding whether it's worth painting in Imron or not. 

I've got a bit of a dilemma. My teeth are fine and I have a competent dentist that I've been going to off and on for 15+ years. Somewhere in-between I managed to get unlucky from another dentist and end up with a bit of lingual nerve damage, supposedly it was from a local anesthetic that people don't use anymore.

My two upper central incisors came in a bit spotted and discolored and I had some bonding put on them 20+ years ago. One tooth had it come off while I was still in high school about 18 years ago, the other is original, but stops about 0.5mm from the gum line. I'm absolutely fine with how my teeth look. My own girlfriend didn't even notice. My dentist has been pushing me to get veneers on those two ever since I started seeing him and I finally caved this last visit. I paid them to take molds, they showed me the wax mock-ups today and they added on an "occlusal adjustment" to the visit where they're going to pull the bonding off. 

I've got some anxiety about the procedure and am having second thoughts, possibly related to the occlusal adjustment, possibly related to being completely comfortable with how they look as it is, possibly concerned that I'll spend all this money and end up with teeth that make me look like Sarah Jessica Parker or Mister Ed. One of the selling points I've been given is "well that bonding will come off and you don't want it to happen when you're out of town." The way I look at it, what's there has stood up to my lifestyle for decades. I grind on rare occasion, and am aware of having done some grinding after getting a filling that left my bite a bit uneven (I also have to ask how much I should trust a guy who makes a filling that leaves a bite uneven to make an occlusal adjustment). I have some concern that I could chip a veneer where the bonding has held up. 

I'm in there 3x a year for cleaning and the occasional whitening anyways. As for now, it sure feels like I'm being sold something that I don't need by a competent, capable dentist who, much like a body builder, tattoo artist, or a stripper, has an idea of exactly how things should look that 99% of the rest of the world doesn't even notice. It sure seems like the right thing to do is to postpone the procedure until the bonding fails, or, at the very least, until I feel a bit more enthusiastic about it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

ok here is the Brit talking, free NHS care and all that....I am not a Dentist, but I am the son of two consultant surgeons (one of whom helped ALL you guys out there with your ladies).

So the answer is simple......., is the tooth falling out, rotting away, is it causing you pain?  No?  Well leave the bloody thing alone then.  Let Nature decide how you look.  If the answer is yes, go to a Dentist, there are two on here I now of and both have answered this thread.

Of course if you are from the deep south, and chew Tobacco, then you don't need to worry because you wont have any teeth anyway, they will have fallen out long ago.

Andrew

There's a witty comment about a brit and teeth being fine to be made here, but you're along the lines of my thinking. So you're saying one of your parents was the guy in Breast Men? 

• Like 1