Seeking CFI with M20 for transition training near Albuquerque

vance.k

Hi MS,

I'm soon to be joining the club.  Going through the final stages of a pre-buy on a K, set to close this week, with repairs / upgrades over the next few weeks.  I'm wondering if there are any CFIs with access to a Mooney in the Albuquerque area that would be willing to spend some time working with me on transition training?  Insurance only requires 5 hours, but am more interested in ensuring I'm safe, competent and confident.

I can certainly wait to do the transition during the ferry trip home and once I get the plane home, but would love the spend some time over the next few weeks getting some familiarization and training, if it can be worked out.

If anyone is or knows of someone who might be interested, please drop me a note.

Thanks!
Vance

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the responses.  

Robert, a very good point and could easily be a limiting factor and something I hadn't considered.  Would almost certainly need to be someone who is already setup for it as the time I'd likely be putting in would not cover the added insurance, I presume.  If it doesn't work out, not a big deal.  Just anxious to keep things moving.  

I have seen a few Mooney instructor lists of varying vintages, and a few made reference to CFIs who trained in their own birds, which is where I got the idea to ask.  Of course, not a single one of those lists I've seen had anyone listed in NM, unfortunately.  And so it goes..

Thanks again!
Vance

Thanks everyone.  It is great that someone does rent them.  Unlikely that I'd be able to get over to midland.

Does anyone know of one in Denver, by chance?  I go there regularly (part of the reason for the purchase).

Thanks!
Vance

I flew with Alliance Flight Training, based at Denver/FTG. But it was back in 2010. When I inquired about another hop in their Mooney in 2016, they had already sold it. I found no other options in Denver or Phoenix.

Fortunately, I found a transition to a vintage Mooney quite easy after flying DelSol's rental Arrow. I just bought an E and flew it to Albquerque/E98 on Friday. Of course your K is a hotter ship, especially if with a turbo, so a step up would be greater. But IMHO it should be manageable.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/12/2017 at 10:57 PM, zaitcev said:

Fortunately, I found a transition to a vintage Mooney quite easy after flying DelSol's rental Arrow. I just bought an E and flew it to Albquerque/E98 on Friday. Of course your K is a hotter ship, especially if with a turbo, so a step up would be greater. But IMHO it should be manageable.

Congrats on your E!  I appreciate this advice and have scheduled some time with DelSol's Arrow.  Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Vance Im going through the same  thing trying to get checked out in a k. step one is to hit the owners manual HARD and start memorising all those limitations and procedures. Then sit in the cockpit for a couple of times going through normal and abnormal procedures until you can find all the gauges and information quickly and comfortably.Once you feel comfortable in the cockpit with all this then its time to call the CFI and start applying all this Knowledge in the air.I havent flown small planes in over 30 years and in my day job, flying on one engine  on oxygen at FL 240 is a double emergency at least!.I am looking anywhere in the U.S. for a checkout and if you find anyone who rents a 231 I hope you will tell us all about it.Keep us posted on your progress and good luck! Georges.

Edited by Georgethenault@gmail.com
sp