FlyQ EFB airway routing question

When flight planning on FlyQ EFB, I input my departure and destination airports and ask it to route along victor airways. Invariably the routing it gives me is along the airway, but the routing in the ICAO flight plan is a dozen or more fixes and navaids rather than just the airways and fixes that define the route.  For example LOGEN DCT ODF DCT SUG DCT BZM DCT LYH instead of LOGEN V222 LYH.  Sure I want all the fixes in the nav log but not in block 15c. of the flight plan.  Am I missing something?

Edited by SethKeefer
Typo

Hum  I believe that fixes need to  be 5 characters in length  For example  if 'DCTYP'  the same as  'DCT'. I tried on my Fly Q and it worked  for me. 

I tried  'DCT' on the airnav web site It

Select a fix

66 fixes sound like "DCT". Please select the one you are interested in.

DAAST DACAD DACED DACTA DAGTE DAGTT DASDE DASTE DAZED DCOTA DECAD DECAT DECED DECET DECOD DECOT DECTU DEGDE DEGDY DEKTE DESDE DESOT DESTE DEXTO DICAD DICAT DICDE DICDU DICED DICOT DICTE DIGHT DIGIT DIKTE DISTE DIXET DIXIT DIZTY DKOTA DOCAT DOCET DOCKT DOCTA DOGDE DOGTE DOJED DOZIT DSETH DSHUT DSOTO DTSCD DUCAD DUCAT DUCDO DUCED DUCUT DUGDE DUGTE DUKDE DUKTE DUSDE DUSDY DUSTE DUSTT DUSUT DUZIT

Hope this helps,
James '67C

DCT isn't a fix it's how ICAO flight plans say "direct" instead of a dot like the old FAA flight plans.  LOGEN.ODF.SUG is LOGEN DCT ODF DCT SUG in the ICAO format which I believe is how FlyQ files it (in the ICAO format).  My question is, If those fixes or navaids are on the same airway the proper way to file would be LOGAN V222 SUG.  But FlyQ is not doing that for me.

Edited by SethKeefer
Typo

Anyone,

Do we have an MS FlyQ contact?

Seth,

There doesn't seem to be any advantage for the long hand version, unless an older navigator you are punching it into requires it.

Possibly, Look for a button in FlyQ that toggles the longhand/shorthand version of the fight plan...

My KLN90B would require most of the waypoints except the ones in a straight line.  

My WingX...  I'll look... it took LOGAN V222 SUG and gave me some unintelligible idea of a flight. To Indiana.  Logan appears as an intersection close to KGUS airport... nowhere near SUG and V222

Sorry I couldn't help...

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

I mistyped the fix in my post.  LOGEN. Yes FlyQ will take the routing as LOGEN v222 SUG but it will not auto- route or input that into the flight plan.  My main concern is filing a flight plan with dozens of direct to waypoints instead of the appropriate airways is bound to result in a full route clearance from ATC. I would just prefer to be cleared with minimal fuss than receive an amendment that I then have to re-input, especially if I get clearance after takeoff.  I can look at my chart and manually enter the airways but I was just wondering why the automatic function does not do this properly.

And yes in the old GPSs like my 430 you have to enter the fixes that define the airway...easy enough with the nav log.  

Edited by SethKeefer

Good news...

looking at how WingX does it...  it gives options in the flight plan section.  Points, turns and a third choice related to sending the flight plan somewhere via the cloud...  there were at least two important waypoints where the victor changed directions slightly.

It also gave an address number that I can probably share with other WingX users? When I saved it...

See if your EFB has thes types of options...

You can get a free version of WingX if you are a military personel or flight instructor....

Stuff I have learned around here.

Hope that's more helpful...

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

I see what you are talking about. I tried my home base, KTTA to KISP on Long Island in NY. In ForeFlight, airway routing was 

KTTA MOATS V155 MANGE V157 ENO V16 JFK DPK KISP 

in FlyQ the same route is 

KTTA RDU DCT WIPER DCT 3649N07754W DCT RIC DCT TAPPA DCT PXT DCT GARED DCT ACY DCT PANZE DCT KARRS DCT DPK KISP

I don't see any options to change that but I could be missing something.

FlyQ is very responsive on customer inquiries, so call or shoot them an email. My guess is that it's just the way they've  implemented flight plan filing, translating airways into a series of Direct To waypoints on the flight plan. They have historically been a bit weaker on the IFR planning side, so this may just be a reflection of that.

• Like 1

FYI I just entered "LOGEN V222 SUG" into Foreflight as a route and it shows all 9 waypoints in the NavLog (and on the map route). When you send it to the ICAO flight plan for filing it simply says "Departure - LOGEN, Enroute - V222, Destingation - SUG".

Flyq-EFB should do this as well. I'd contact them for sure.

That is strange.  I was playing with FlyQ a bit last night and it was hit and miss on filing the victor airways in the ICAO flight plan section.  On a new plan, the victor airway shows up.  Make one change to the route and it reverts back to listing all of the waypoints.  :wacko:

I've never used FlyQ to file, usually do that with Fltplan.com since I can see other assigned routes from past flights, etc.  I manually enter it into FlyQ after that since it helps me become a little more familiar with the routing.  Just my preference on doing it that way though.

Cheers,

Brian

Forgot to mention that customer service at Seattle Avionics is really good, so you may have an answer within a couple hours if during normal business hours.  May not be a fix just yet, but they've always gotten back to me pretty quick with questions.

Brian

Thanks for all the trial and error guys.  If I know the route I want I can type in the airways and it will show up that way in the flight plan.  If I want it to auto-route me as in "KTTA KISP V" it tries to file 2 dozen direct to waypoints that define the airway instead of naming the airway.  Thanks for the tip about fltplan.com I will check that out.

Fltplan.com is incredibly helpful because it has routes that other pilots have recently, actually used, filed, accepted between your two points...

You get to see the ATC side of an acceptable route for your flight...

At least it seemed that way to me...

i filed using fltplan.com and they sent the route back to my cell phone when it got filed successfully.

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SethKeefer said:

Thanks for all the trial and error guys.  If I know the route I want I can type in the airways and it will show up that way in the flight plan.  If I want it to auto-route me as in "KTTA KISP V" it tries to file 2 dozen direct to waypoints that define the airway instead of naming the airway.  Thanks for the tip about fltplan.com I will check that out.

If you have never used it, FltPlan.com has been doing "recently cleared ATC routes" for a long time. There are other places with that functionality, including FlightAware and ForeFlight but, so far, none does it as consistently well as FltPlan.com. You may be surprised at the number of times Direct is given by ATC.

23 hours ago, SethKeefer said:

When flight planning on FlyQ EFB, I input my departure and destination airports and ask it to route along victor airways. Invariably the routing it gives me is along the airway, but the routing in the ICAO flight plan is a dozen or more fixes and navaids rather than just the airways and fixes that define the route.  For example LOGEN DCT ODF DCT SUG DCT BZM DCT LYH instead of LOGEN V222 LYH.  Sure I want all the fixes in the nav log but not in block 15c. of the flight plan.  Am I missing something?

FlyQ did the right thing. Those are the navaids that define V222 so you can fly V222 with just tuning the indicated navaids.

José

8 minutes ago, Piloto said:

FlyQ did the right thing. Those are the navaids that define V222 so you can fly V222 with just tuning the indicated navaids.

José

I'm curious why you say that. As he said, "Sure I want all the fixes in the nav log" for navigation purposes. Definitely.

"but not in block 15c. of the flight plan," which is an entirely different story. It's really no big deal  either way but why do you feel all those waypoints are needed in the filing?