CSMM and ADSB

Philip

3 hours ago, jlunseth said:

I have the KT74 and fly for Angel Flight.  It does have that ability and I have used it several times.

I sent that article to our wing president or whatever he's called, thinking it's something he might want to distribute. Not a peep back. Nice.

I was unfamiliar with it until I saw this thread. They encourage us to use the NGF telephony, you would think some additional attention to this issue would be warranted.

I don't remember getting any articles on how to do it, but I do remember getting an advisory from Angel Flight Central that it needed to be done.  I suppose it is different for each xponder.  The bigger issue is remembering to switch back when the passengers are out of the plane, so you are not flying around for the next two months with your xponder identifying you as an Angel Flight.

2 hours ago, cliffy said:

Does anyone remember no TCA inverted wedding cakes, no transponders, 20 channel crystal controlled transmitters, whistle stop tuning, and just looking out the window for other airplanes?  :-) :-)

Nope, I'm not that old.

• Like 2

Does anyone remember no TCA inverted wedding cakes, no transponders, 20 channel crystal controlled transmitters, whistle stop tuning, and just looking out the window for other airplanes?  :-) :-)

What window?

Yes to all except the 20 channel crystal transmitters- and my flying only goes back to 1989!

For the historically inclined:

Originally only military pilots had transponders and combat pilots never liked to use all those big technical words, like transponder, so they just called them parrots.

You guessed it, now you know the etiology of the term SQUAWK.

Like Castle AFB in Calif with all the BUFFs on long finals At least you could see them with the black smoke trail they laid out!

Used to cross LAX at 1,000 feet all the time N-S. 

Back to our regularly scheduled program