Bravo useful loads

N252MK

Long Bodies are going to have a range from about 900 to 1100 Lbs.  This includes a chunk of Charlie weights in the tail of up to 60 or so Lbs. That can be swapped out for useful equipment such as installed O2, AC, and TKS...

Eagles have the best chance of reaching the 1100 mark.  Bravos have a tendency to be full up with all kinds of top of the line stuff plus a big turbo out on the nose...

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam
  • Like 1

As long as I have Charlie weights sitting with the batteries, a lighter battery won't be much help. Larger capacity batteries for the same weight are always appreciated.... (Concord life expectancy, not Gil life expectancy)

A lighter MT prop or composite TP would be pretty helpful...

Adding the second alternator probably puts weight back on the nose compared to the vac pump.

Going all electric panel lightens things up a bit.  Remote mounting BigG boxes to the tail can help a bunch...

Removing weight from the nose equates to removing an 'equivalent' amount of Charlie weight.

I used 'equivalent' to denote the arm calculation needed to determine the ratio of weight removed from the nose compared to weight removed from the ballast's location.

Overall, avoid adding weight to the nose as well as removing weight from the tail....  (LB WnB planning)

The K didn't get Charlie weights, but Rocket Engineering did a pretty good job of using the dual batteries mounted way back as ballast...  again, check your WnB before deciding on going with a lighter battery in this case...

PP ideas from an avid Mooney fan, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

2 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

Has anyone been thinking about the new blue aviation lipo battery packs?  That saves slot of weight.

If they are lithium ion I wouldn't see them getting approved due to all of the temperature variations and fire hazard potential.

Just now, LANCECASPER said:

If they are lithium ion I wouldn't see them getting approved due to all of the temperature variations and fire hazard potential.

They are already STC on A36 and a few others . 

1 hour ago, LANCECASPER said:

They may have a lot of potential down the road, but for me the safety is still not completely established. I don't want to be a test pilot. Since I still need ballast weight in the back of the Mooney I don't see the advantage yet.

http://www.concordebattery.com/lion.php

Frankly, they do make me nervous too.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Alain B said:

They are a completely different technologie , FWIW . 

https://www.truebluepowerusa.com/nanophosphate-lithium-ion-tech/

:-)

I said I'm nervous (call it a healthy suspicion), but I might just do it when my current batteries are ready to replace, if the w&b works.

On 3/6/2017 at 11:22 AM, LANCECASPER said:

They may have a lot of potential down the road, but for me the safety is still not completely established

Yeah, me too.  I had a lithium battery melt down on a big tractor and it totally reminded me of the whole 787 stories.  I'm not willing to put one in my plane yet.

Around 990 lbs for me. No TKS, no A/C. Someone mentioned an extra, Bravos already have two alternators. All that said, given enough runway for takeoff you can stuff whatever you want inside and get the job done (so I have been told)  Burn fuel for meeting landing weight. I need to put mine on the scales to update weights.