1981 M20J restoration

On 3/6/2017 at 2:26 PM, jclemens said:

The gross weight increase is just a Mooney service letter that consists of remarking the airspeed indicator, verifying the balance on the rudder, and an AFM revision.  Honestly I don't know if that has already been incorporated or not, if not it's easy to do.

I'm not so sure of this statement

Going to do some research.

Might be a good conversation to start with Mooney- would really increase the appeal of the old light Js.  From Mooney's perspective it probably doesn't do harm to their market - they just wouldn't prioritize this.  

34 minutes ago, Mcstealth said:

Just my memory, but something to do with the actual tubing that makes up the landing gear, is a different thickness, or spec, and therefor excludes some J's.......

This from memory banks only.  Going to research tonight. 

It's all covered in the thread I linked to earlier.  The specific information on the tubing change is here:

• Like 1

From the parts manual:
Nose gear changes at serial #679, 1115, and 1464
Mains at 764.

The nose changed to prevent oversteer and removed a shock absorber.
The main change to remove the squat switch and add a mud shield, #764. Id have to print out part numbers to compare to figure out what exactly changed.

On 3/9/2017 at 8:59 AM, mooniac15u said:

...The eligible serial numbers go back as far as 1987...

I just did the Gross weight increase, my J is a 1986.  S/N 24-3002.  It's a 205 SE.  205's were marketed as 1987 model years but the first 17 or 18 were 1986 A/W dates.  It's kind of odd.  Even if you pull a VREF report my serial range starting with 24-3001 is listed as a 1987, but it can't be a 1987 if the A/W cert was 1986 right?

Edited by Rmag

7 minutes ago, Rmag said:

I just did the Gross weight increase, my J is a 1986.  S/N 24-3002.  It's a 205 SE.  205's were marketed as 1987 model years but the first 17 or 18 were 1986 A/W dates.  It's kind of odd.  Even if you pull a VREF report my serial range starting with 24-3001 is listed as a 1987, but it can't be a 1987 if the A/W cert was 1986 right?

My '66E received it's AWC 12/3/1965. Model years do not change on the calendar. Think automobiles.

11 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

My '66E received it's AWC 12/3/1965. Model years do not change on the calendar. Think automobiles.

Mine was 7/28/1986, was sold and flying around by the first owner in the summer of 1986, but I should still refer to it as a 1987?

7 minutes ago, Rmag said:

Mine was 7/28/1986, was sold and flying around by the first owner in the summer of 1986, but I should still refer to it as a 1987?

Yes. According to this chronology which agrees with Larry Ball's "Those Remarkable Mooneys" serial 24-3000 thru 24-3056 are 1987 models.

http://www.mooneyevents.com/chrono.htm

Another place this phenomena occurred...

The first handful or so F models were built before their model year actually started...

Expect that model year for airplanes loosely corresponds with actual years.

Another odd thing that happens when the production changes from one model to the next...  there is a lot in common between the last F and the first J...

The first Os got many things in common Ms and Js of their day...

all stuff in the parts bins, needs to be put into airplane's for sale.....

Best regards,

-a-

Yup, paint and interior last.  Pick it up and fly it a while to work out any last issues, then off to it's new home.  The longer it sits in my shop the more expensive it gets, I have very little self control when it comes to stuff like this.  If Garmin comes out with a new G7000 or something I could end up with a 250K M20J, best to get it out before Sun N Fun.......Hmmm, maybe I should wait and see if anyone announces anything cool.....:D

• 1 month later...
Yup, paint and interior last.  Pick it up and fly it a while to work out any last issues, then off to it's new home.  The longer it sits in my shop the more expensive it gets, I have very little self control when it comes to stuff like this.  If Garmin comes out with a new G7000 or something I could end up with a 250K M20J, best to get it out before Sun N Fun.......Hmmm, maybe I should wait and see if anyone announces anything cool.....

What kind of paint quotes did you get for your J?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What I pay for paint and interior is probably not a good representation of what it would cost you. I send a couple hundred thousand a year in business to the shop.  Expect to pay around $14K for a good strip and paint.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...