New owner of M20M N763RC

pcheli

Just now, KLRDMD said:

They are obviously different airplanes with different missions and purposes.

That's my point. The only thing comparable to what I have is the esp or iv or something like that, they're all like 300k+

I want an experimental high altitude cross country machine.

Just now, peevee said:

That's my point. The only thing comparable to what I have is the esp or iv or something like that, they're all like 300k+ I want an experimental high altitude cross country machine.

This is the same price range as a Rocket: https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/1250129/1999-lancair-iv

it's non pressurized but that is a good price. not flown a lot, less then 50 hour a yr average. would be worth looking at for any one who has an interest. make sure you get proper training, it's a lot of airplane..... but fun. 90 kts on final

Brian

• Like 1

Just now, Greg_D said:

I sent an email to the seller on eBay asking about any damage history, etc.  He replied that there was minor wingtip damage that had been repaired by Don Maxwell’s mechanic.

LOL if the outboard 2/3rds of the wing being replaced is MINOR, I want to know what he considers major!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Andy95W said:

Those look like two different airplanes.  I find it doubtful that someone would apply an earlier paint style to an M20M before repairing the wing "tip".

All that said, I'd trust the DMax repair.

It was painted after the repair.  And it wasn’t a “DMax” repair.  It was done by a guy who used to work for Don.

2 hours ago, Greg_D said:

It was painted after the repair.  And it wasn’t a “DMax” repair.  It was done by a guy who used to work for Don.

when I picked up our airplane I put the toilet lid down after I peed. I guess I worked for don now too!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Andy95W said:

Those look like two different airplanes.  I find it doubtful that someone would apply an earlier paint style to an M20M before repairing the wing "tip".

Look at the N number - same airplane, much discussion and many more pictures about the wing and the paint earlier in this thread

On 6/30/2017 at 0:26 AM, Andy95W said:

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2017 at 0:26 AM, Andy95W said:

1 minute ago, Greg_D said:

Wow, he started the bidding a lot lower this time.  It’s currently at $86K, and its a no-reserve auction.

still 26k too high, if i bought it i would plan on replacing the wing plus an engine overhaul.

15 hours ago, Greg_D said:

Wow, he started the bidding a lot lower this time.  It’s currently at $86K, and its a no-reserve auction.

In previous auctions people would bid, it "sold', but then it's back on the market again. Very likely that shill bidding was used where a "friend" will put in a bid for you to drive up the price or make the auction seem legitimate. This time he used a private auction where the bidder's identities are hidden. What would give him legitimacy is if he disclosed the previous damage in the description with pictures - then people could make a decision based on that.

596f9c8a030f6_ScreenShot2017-07-19at12_48_00PM.thumb.png.3ab73eb24d303a78b14a270c8be90055.png

The seller has been emailing me over the last few weeks.  He did send me pictures of the wing undergoing repair along with pics of the logbook entries, although those were unreadable due to the poor resolution they were taken in.  I did hint that I knew something about the damage history.

He says the plane has never been “sold” as each of the auction winners could not come up with the money after winning.  He didn’t have any kind words to say about the Mooney Space forum and its users.  In fact, all of his emails had a very abrasive tone!  I suspect that has as much to do with the plane not selling as much as the damage history.

In one email, he claimed that a broker was taking over and selling it for $140K.  He won’t answer what happened with that, but keeps asking me to call him.