ADS-B Rebate Test Flight, SF Bay Area

I'm looking for advice from San Francisco Bay area pilots who have completed their ADS-B rebate test flight. Where did you complete your flight? Did you fly above 10,000 ft somewhere? Above the Sacramento Charlie? Or inside the Mode C veil north of the GG Bridge? Just curious where folks are doing this.

Sven, there are a couple of threads where people really gave good info on what they did to get a proper result.  Let me know if you have difficulty getting the info...

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

Our bird went flying today and we passed our ADS-B rebate test flight. I was not the pilot on the flight. It was my partner and his wife. After departing KSTS the new transponder kicked in all green lights at about 1,000 ft. Shortly after that they received flight following from Oakland Center. The pictures below show the route. They were inside the Mode C veil during all the maneuvers for about 35-40 minutes. They performed climbs, descents, crossing north-south and east-west over the Sausalito VOR, turns and I think there's even a figure 8 in there. The sky was filled with traffic which was easily seen on Foreflight. Oakland Center was a big help actually vectoring traffic around them. They showed up "loud and clear" on their screens. They stayed out of the Bravo the entire time. Although there's plenty of Mode C veil space north of where the maneuvers took place he chose to stay close to and under the Bravo.

They flew back up the coast as it was a stunningly beautiful day and we put our bird back in the hangar. We headed to Starbucks for free wifi and a treat and logged on to see if we passed. We received green in all areas just 3-45 minutes after the flight was complete. We got our rebate code and sent it off. Now it's off to watch more tutorials on Foreflight and our new Stratus Appereo and relax knowing we've met the mandate. I know others have run into issues but we were fortunate that everything went perfectly from the installation to the tests. Not one glitch, happily. I know it doesn't always go that way but the Sun shined on us today.

-Sven

ADS-B Test Flight Zoom.PNG

ADS-B Test Flight.PNG

• Like 1