Florida Trip For Work - Need info on TFR near PBI and LNA

This is not a political thread - just need real advice on where to land and park my aircraft while staying in Palm Beach, FL.  My entire trip is flexible and weather permitting.

I know I've been MIA recently - working hard on a new business as well as balancing family time - MooneySpace falls behind that unfortunately :)

On Sunday, March 12 I plan to fly from GAI (Maryland) to PDK (Atlanta) to visit a friend in the hospital and then continue on to Florida. I am looking to visit a few business associates in different areas of the state on Sunday evening and Monday.  My main business destination however is West Palm Beach, FL, for a conference from the 14th to 17th.

Both PBI - West Palm Beach International, and LNA - Lantana are the two airports I had narrowed down for my plans to use.  I've used Lantana twice in the past.  Once back in 2009 or 2010 and once in 2015.  Cost and service wise I was planning to use them again.

My plan was to arrive at LNA on Monday the 13th in the late afternoon.  See a relative for dinner, and then head to the hotel.  The conference breaks on Friday just after noon so I'd try to depart by 2:00PM ish.

This issue, is the Trump TFR's that have taken place the last few weekends.   I do not want to have an issue with arriving to early on Monday nor getting stuck on Friday.  

I can always use a gateway airport and land at PBI should I need to, or land LNA and re-position my aircraft to PBI during a conference break should a TFR be posted mid week so that I can depart PBI.  I have had experience with this when departing from Martha's Vinyard during an Obama vacation.  Called up, got my slot, went through security, inspected my own aircraft while being watched by security, and then departed just fine.  I fly in the SFRA all the time near DC and am vetted for the DC3 in the FRZ.  Busy controlled airspace and procedures do not worry me.  

Logistically, though I know President Trump can always change his normal routine and plan, but what has it been like, and what are my choices?  I also could fly to another airport outside the 10 mile ring and rent a car.  

Thanks for your information and suggestions.  Again, please keep this non-political.

-Seth

Have a good trip, Seth. I'd invite you to stop in for lunch on the way back, except I have a business trip from 3/14-19 myself. 

Do stop by the next time you're down this way. We can probably squeeze you into the hangar with a little advance notice and shuffling around.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, teejayevans said:

Since I assume you will be renting a car, why not just go to Boca or Stuart?

I do not plan to rent a car at LNA 

I'm planning to have family pick me up at LNA and drop me at my hotel.  On Friday I'd Uber back.  That takes care of $100+ rental and $100 of car parking at be hotel.  Even if I just Uber back and forth I'm looking at maybe $35 total.

1 hour ago, Ftlausa said:

KFXE is just outside the TFR, so it is a good option.  Boca and Pompano are inside the 30 mile ring, but that won't be an issue if you get a code.  I would avoid Lantana and PBI during the TFR. 

Does anyone have experience with F45?

Seth I went into KPBI last month and was the only single engine piston I saw, the controllers wanted me to maintain 170 on final to the smaller runway, it's no problem, 

I had the feeling I was not wanted, it's quite pricy for fees, a pain driving around the airport, other than that if the weather's suspect I need a certain approach I'd go back, my first choice next time will be Lantana. I also was vectored an extra 20 minutes os so I assume for landing traffic although I didn't see a problem, I think being a small slow plane I was a bother. I often go into KBWI and feel no such problem's there. Who knows. Good luck and give a PIREP on your trip there, I'll be going back soon

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Piloto said:

I got this TFR warning on the Garmin Pilot.

Does it means that the TFR is active only from 3:30 PM to 10:30 PM of each day.

And that outside of those hours is not active.

José

Screenshot_20170303-102855[1].png

No, read the date range above it. It is valid from March 3rd at 3:30 PM until March 5th at 10:30 PM (local time).

I spoke to the FBO staff today at Lantana, and it's the same guy who assisted me in 2015.  Great service last time.

The TFRs are indeed hurting them.

No TFR set for this weekend but they were told next weekend a TFR would occur.  Thus, I'm going to leave my meeting a day early and not chance getting caught not being able to depart.

So, instead of leaving Friday around 2 I'll leave Thursday in the late afternoon/early evening.  I'll follow the TFR's to make sure he does not come down a day early, but I don't want to chance keeping the airplane there at all Friday.  Plus, honestly, I want to get back to my pregnant wife and daughter a day early.  

Take care,

-Seth

I've flown into F45 and PBI probably at least 50 times. Both are expensive. I prefer KLNA for extended trips, but if you're at risk of having to reposition, I'd just go for PBI. I don't think Signature at F45 is worth it and I've heard rumors that they've overcharged a couple people dramatically. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Antares said:

I've flown into F45 and PBI probably at least 50 times. Both are expensive. I prefer KLNA for extended trips, but if you're at risk of having to reposition, I'd just go for PBI. I don't think Signature at F45 is worth it and I've heard rumors that they've overcharged a couple people dramatically. 

It's a real shame too because F45 is a great airport with GPS and ILS approaches.

I ended up at LNA and am parked there now.  I plan to leave due to the TFR this weekend on Thursday cutting my trip short by one day.

Separately, Eric at LNA who took care of me back in 2015, again, out did himself.  Not only did he wait for me to arrive even though it was after hours, he gave me a ride to my hotel.  I cannot say enough about Eric at Stellar aviation.  Consistently the BEST experience I've had now twice.  Last time he left my rental car parked after hours to ensure I'd have it - I was getting in late that night.   Great attitude, great service.

The staff at Sheltair at ORL - Orlando Executive were also really good as well - way above average.  I have used Kissimmee in the past, but now I think I'll use Orlando Executive and Sheltair the next time I'm in Orlando.

Thanks again for all the information!

-Seth

• Like 2

Eric is great. I hope that the Trump administration helps us out with the TFR system. I know for a fact that he was known for being "difficult" to work with by the FBOs because he did not like the price fixing/gouging and excessive ramp fees and was known for coming in personally and arguing with them. 

I also heard a few stories about Hillary that match the rumors about her off-camera behavior. 

1 hour ago, Antares said:

Eric is great. I hope that the Trump administration helps us out with the TFR system. I know for a fact that he was known for being "difficult" to work with by the FBOs because he did not like the price fixing/gouging and excessive ramp fees and was known for coming in personally and arguing with them. 

I also heard a few stories about Hillary that match the rumors about her off-camera behavior. 

Hillary is a has been. Why is it that the only ones still talking about her is Trump himself and his lemmings?

56 minutes ago, Danb said:

Here we go again.

Anatares comment was perfectly valid and well stated. But he just couldn't resist and had to get that last dig in by mentioning the old lady.

You won't be hearing anything more from me on the subject.