Suggestion for citing airports

Not referencing any particular MSer or thread, but my life would be marginally easier if everyone said Dallas (RBD), rather than just RBD. I read most all the posts on MS, and spend some time flipping over the Airnav to check to see where Kxxx is.

• Like 14

5 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

Not referencing any particular MSer or thread, but my life would be marginally easier if everyone said Dallas (RBD), rather than just RBD. I read most all the posts on MS, and spend some time flipping over the Airnav to check to see where Kxxx is.

I agree, especially when touting upcoming events. "Come on over to KXYZ, for the most fun  EVER," with great detail on time, cost and available fun. Never having heard of KXYZ, I'll either ignore it and miss out, check back and see if someone else mentions at least what part of the country it's in, or Google the stinking code and find out its anywhere from a 20 minute flight (hey, I can go!) [yeah, right, that's happened like twice] to 2000 miles away (many times . . . It's  surprising how much of this country is that far from Lower Alabama, and there's Mooney pilots all over it).

OK you formation training clinics--you listening? I've figured out from repeated exposure and poster's avatar information that one is in Texas (only ONE thousand miles way!  ;) ) and another is in the Virginia SW area (not too far past Mom & Dad and my inlaws--always good for a combo trip).

Guess I'll swing by 41A tomorrow and check on the plane, may even take her over to 08A (haven't been there in a while, and I need to stop at 1A9 while I'm over that way).

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

That's a very good suggestion. I agree it would make life "marginally" easier. It helps with big nationally known cities but doubt it would do much for air fields in small towns known only to locals. If I said for example Old Bridge 3N6 or Greenwood Lake 4N1 you still need to run over to Airnav!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Hank said:

Guess I'll swing by 41A tomorrow and check on the plane, may even take her over to 08A (haven't been there in a while, and I need to stop at 1A9 while I'm over that way).

Funny stuff but so true around here... Would prefer if MSpacers would use the City/Town and throw the airport code in parenthesis... I've found myself googling airport codes on more than one occasion. 

Edited by jonhop

6 hours ago, PTK said:

That's a very good suggestion. I agree it would make life "marginally" easier. It helps with big nationally known cities but doubt it would do much for air fields in small towns known only to locals. If I said for example Old Bridge 3N6 or Greenwood Lake 4N1 you still need to run over to Airnav!

Agreed. Unless the city or town is known, not much help. 

The only time identifier-only bothers me at all is when folks are talking about a get-together of some kind In your example, even a reference to Newark or New Jersey would let me know if it is in range.

Otherwise 10 seconds of popping the ID into Google with the word "AirNav" along side it isn't that big a deal,

Agreed from henceforth on all references to airports shall be made with the city and the airport identifier for easy location by other MS users.

Penalty for failure to to reference the city and the identifier shall be .......................:huh:

five (5) 400nm cross country flights in a fixed gear C or P brand aircraft with 180HP or less with a head wind.:D

• Like 3

I am in RPLC....on my way to ZGSZ and WMKK and WMKP all in one night.......

All of this while trying to get some sleep prior in the hotel with the hammer drill going off in the room above....

The joys and glamor of international flying......

LOL

As a certified paranoid I dont like to make it easy for non flyers to know any thing about my activity. yes they can look it up but it takes a little knowledge and effort.  MS is the only place I do any thing public.  I still keep a land line and will not use a cell or cordless to discuss any private info.  I think all this social sharing is really stupid.  People are in such a hurry to tell the world about their private lives.  Believe me when I say I put a lot of trust in the folks here at MS.

36 minutes ago, bonal said:

As a certified paranoid I dont like to make it easy for non flyers to know any thing about my activity. yes they can look it up but it takes a little knowledge and effort.  MS is the only place I do any thing public.  I still keep a land line and will not use a cell or cordless to discuss any private info.  I think all this social sharing is really stupid.  People are in such a hurry to tell the world about their private lives.  Believe me when I say I put a lot of trust in the folks here at MS.

A cell phone these days is MUCH more secure than land lines ever were or ever could be. All that traveling that I do... is to lecture/consult/research data security and privacy.