This Parrot May Have Flown More than You!

Well - I took up my young puppy Strava (9 months) on Sunday for the first time ...and I don't think she liked it.  But the problem could have just as likely have been the harness I put on her for the seatbelt.  That made here quite nervous.  I put just the harness on her yesterday to get her used to it, just around the house, and she was sulking in it all evening.  But I am hoping once she gets used to that harness, then she will like flying with me, since she certainly likes driving with me, but up until now I wasn't making her wear a harness there.
IMG_0362.thumb.JPG.e9885b70286d0cec57d207e1fe2556ef.JPG
IMG_0369.thumb.JPG.127c0c84d6f1ab5334086f93fb6171e6.JPG

I'm no expert but in my experience when their tongue hangs out like that it's a good indicator of motion sickness. Be sure to withhold food and water for a few hours prior to departure, and benadryl might also help with anxiety and/or motion-sickness. Check out this article for more info: http://akc.org/content/health/articles/benadryl-for-dogs/?utm_source=enewsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20170227-yourakc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

being in a vertical dive might not be the best way to get her used to it.  We are trying to get our new pup used to driving as well as flying but its taking a bit of effort.  well worth it once done ours starts to drool before he gets sick although he made a three hour drive with only a bit of sick after he got home.  good luck with yours.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, cnoe said:

I'm no expert but in my experience when their tongue hangs out like that it's a good indicator of motion sickness. Be sure to withhold food and water for a few hours prior to departure, and benadryl might also help with anxiety and/or motion-sickness. Check out this article for more info: http://akc.org/content/health/articles/benadryl-for-dogs/?utm_source=enewsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20170227-yourakc

Thanks - I will read that.  I didn't expect motion sickness since it was a very very smooth day, and she rides in the car like a champ.  Its not warm btw as oat is 20F, so its not heat.  Luckily she didn't get sick.

But it might be just the anxiety of wearing that harness for the first time - silly me I should have introduced that gradually.

• Like 1

But it might be just the anxiety of wearing that harness for the first time - silly me I should have introduced that gradually.

Of course that may be it entirely. As a pup Eli got sick in the car a couple of times after exhibiting the open-mouth/tongue look but quickly acclimated to the plane once he was a bit older. I imagine Strava will turn into a great co-pilot soon!

• Like 1