Mooney Stigmas

Raptor05121

1 hour ago, Bob_Belville said:

Alternator, starter, muffler and fuel servo can all be removed/replaced without removing the lower cowl on my E model. 

Perhaps they should have riveted it in place rather than make it removable...  Is there any maintenace that you can think of that requires removal of the lower cowl?   I've done all of those jobs.  I misspoke about the gen/alternator,  that is removable from the right side.

I had to remove the lower to replace the starter on my c. It had been a LONG time since it had been off, I fixed up a lot while I was in there. 

It took me a lot longer than 2 hours to remove with guidance from my a&p, but I knew nothing. A proper mech could do it in 2 easily. 

Edited by salty

I can't speak to the Jay model, but completely decowling an F model top and bottom could easily take two shop hours for someone that doesn't do it all the time. The top and sides can be done in about 5 to 10 minutes. The lower cowling  takes considerably more time.  One would need to remove the oil cooler from the cowling, the intake duct, the ram air cable, oil feed for the prop governor must be removed from the engine is threaded through the front cowl cover which is connected to the internal baffle seals. Various drains need to be removed as well as the cowl flaps disconnected.
 It is indeed true that completely decowling a Mooney engine from the firewall forward is not a quick task. Maybe not two hours for experienced mechanic, but it takes time.

I can decowl my '75 F in 45 minutes flat! Of course, the first time was like four hours.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Perhaps they should have riveted it in place rather than make it removable...  Is there any maintenace that you can think of that requires removal of the lower cowl?   I've done all of those jobs.  I misspoke about the gen/alternator,  that is removable from the right side.

How about inspecting the muffler fur cracks?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guitarmaster said:

How about inspecting the muffler fur cracks?

Appearently there is no job that can't be completed with it in place. All the hubbub about the Mooney engine compartment being more challenging to work on in some ways is much ado about nothing. Easy access! 

1 hour ago, Shadrach said:

Appearently there is no job that can't be completed with it in place. All the hubbub about the Mooney engine compartment being more challenging to work on in some ways is much ado about nothing. Easy access! 

How about 6 seconds....

a36englt.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Alan Fox said:

How about 6 seconds....

a36englt.jpg

Alan, that's not decowled. I'll grant you it offeres quick acces to a significant part of the engine bay and the hinged doors are nice, but it is not decowled. 

This thread has been an anecdotal study in the capacity of humans to interprit meaning and define words in a statement as they choose with merely a nod toward what the statement actually said.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

Alan, that's not decowled. I'll grant you it offeres quick acces to a significant part of the engine bay and the hinged doors are nice, but it is not decowled. 

This thread has been an anecdotal study in the capacity of humans to interprit meaning and define words in a statement as they choose with merely a nod toward what the statement actually said.

Add 2 minutes a side to remove the lower cheeks ...

The 64s and older have to be the worst for access.  As others said, the cowl sides are screwed in.  I can change the oil and filter by only removing the side cowls.  In fact, I can do most work, including exhaust inspection, alternator replacement, etc through the side cowl.  That said, it is a "choose your poison" effort.  It does not make it fun either way.  I try to keep the bottom cowl on to extend the life of the air inlet boot.  They take the most damage during maintenance.  Removing the oil cooler every time also sets you up for more frequent potential cracking of the cooler flanges.  So, while all of these things are possible, I can appreciate the "stigma" that the Mooney is tightly cowled and more difficult to work on.  Would love to have one of the newer two piece cowls.  

The cowl on my '64 C was a bitch to remove. And there were screws to replace every time it came off. With the 252, the top cowl takes 30 seconds and the bottom takes 2 minutes... if you have help... Of course this only affects/benefits my mechanic. And I like my mechanic, and so it's good to be nice to him/her.  But the difficulty or ease of getting under the cowl really doesn't affect me.... except for the added time/cost... but with all the costs involved in this little hobby, I think it adds up to a rounding error and no more ;)

In the end, I like flying a slick, fast, efficient, airplane.

• Like 1

Our M20J well I better include M20F and E models as well since this may be applicable food for thought question for them as well.

As it stands our M20J / M20F / and M20E with the 200 HP engine are not high performance since the FAA changed the regulation to read you must have OVER 200 HP --- meaning 201 horse power or greater to meet the classification.

My question is let take the following scenario:

You have the 200HP engine and add-on modifications are installed and the engine is now producing more than 200HP --- would that count?

To be a smart butt, in theory, you should only need to produce 200.1 HP since it is greater than 200HP.

So the question is if the engine is producing more than 200HP based on add-on / modifications does it now meat the FAA classification for high performance?

17 minutes ago, Mark Pavinich said:

Our M20J well I better include M20F and E models as well since this may be applicable food for thought question for them as well.

As it stands our M20J / M20F / and M20E with the 200 HP engine are not high performance since the FAA changed the regulation to read you must have OVER 200 HP --- meaning 201 horse power or greater to meet the classification.

My question is let take the following scenario:

You have the 200HP engine and add-on modifications are installed and the engine is now producing more than 200HP --- would that count?

To be a smart butt, in theory, you should only need to produce 200.1 HP since it is greater than 200HP.

So the question is if the engine is producing more than 200HP based on add-on / modifications does it now meat the FAA classification for high performance?

What sort of modification would make our IO-360's  produce more than 200HP?

Just now, teejayevans said:

Power flow exhaust and io-390 come to mind.

Power Flow exhaust doesn't increase the HP of the engine it only allows you to take advantage of a higher percentage of the horsepower.

The IO-390 is a different engine.  Swapping out the engine is not a modification of the IO-360.  Switching to the IO-390 is fundamentally no different than doing the Missile conversion.  It requires an STC and makes it a high performance aircraft.

• Like 2

Since you are stating FAA rules... use the 200hp rating to avoid needing the additional high power training.

On the other hand, on the really cold days when the density altitude is below SL, you are producing a lot more than 201 hp...

Still no additional training required...

High power

Complex

Back in the day they were one add-on...

A modern 300hp engine mounted on a Mooney isn't much different than the older 200hp engine.

There are some issues to be aware of.  A good day of transition training covers these things.

Accidentally having too much HP takes a similar amount of knowledge as not having enough HP.  Knowing your density altitude performance numbers is important for both...

How the government and engine builders and marketing organizations rate the HP of an engine is interesting.

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

6 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

Seems more like there should be special transition training for too little horsepower. . .

This is generally referred to as "the tailwheel endorsement."  :lol:

Edited by Hank
  • Like 1