Mooney Stigmas

Raptor05121

I totally agree with your assessment , I fly 25 hours a month with business destinations and schedules to keep ,   Most of my flying is about travelling.....  But the majority of people fly because they want to fly , not because they are in a hurry.......   Why do you fly a glider ????? 

Just now, Alan Fox said:

I am amazed that nobody touched on the "Mooney owners" stigma...... Its an industry wide stereotype.....

Oh, the one that Mooney Pilots are the most levelheaded, responsible, quick thinking, good looking, and all around best airman of anyone flying four seat singles?

• Like 14

1 hour ago, dlthig said:

Clarence,

I dearly love Comanches, but I am concerned about MX. From what I've been told I'd expect about 3Kish for a M20 or about 5Kish for a PA24.

Maintaining a mid sixties Comanche is no worse than a mid sixties Mooney, each one has pros and cons. Any airframe can have good and bad years.  Both take a willing owner and a willing maintainer. I've owned 2 Mooneys and now a Comanche 400.

Clarence

15 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

Maintaining a mid sixties Comanche is no worse than a mid sixties Mooney, each one has pros and cons. Any airframe can have good and bad years.  Both take a willing owner and a willing maintainer. I've owned 2 Mooneys and now a Comanche 400.

Clarence

The natural progression from an older Mooney is usually a Bonanza or Commanche....  I have seen this a lot... 

1 hour ago, Alan Fox said:

The natural progression from an older Mooney is usually a Bonanza or Commanche....  I have seen this a lot... 

I'm looking at the 76-78 Lance's for my long-term goal. I love my Mooney but every time I go flying, the seats are always filled. Maybe I need to do a lottery system when I choose which friends to take LOL

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 201er said:

Oh, the one that Mooney Pilots are the most levelheaded, responsible, quick thinking, good looking, and all around best airman of anyone flying four seat singles?

Good thing I bought a Mooney, it would have been terrible to have bought something else and not fit the profile of those 'other brands.' ;)

Edited by Skates97
  • Like 4

I am amazed that nobody touched on the "Mooney owners" stigma...... Its an industry wide stereotype.....

Crotchety cheap bastard pains in the arse who have scraped every knuckle forearm and elbow trying to get into an overly tight space?

At least the stereotype can't be as bad as then cirrus one.

Re flying vs getting there. There are times when I love puttering around. Unfortunately we don't own puttering around planes (not like cubs, luscombes, Cessna conventional gears, etc.). There was something fantastic about primary training in a C152 when it took a whole 5 mins to get around the pattern. I don't find much enjoyment is just going up or doing some air work in the mooney (although just being up in the air in anything is enjoyable), because things happen fast and you're done. There is some joy in slow motion.

These are cross country machines. They fly relatively fast. Not lancair or glasair fast, but fast for a tin/ steel can. The main benefit is that I can get from region to region relatively quickly. Can be done in a Cessna or piper. When I'm doing 100 over the ground with a screaming headwind that's tolerable. If I was in a 120 it piper doing 70, that would be rough. Fatigue with long cross country flying is a big part of it. So would weather exposure and weather changes during the trip.

It's all relative. Buddy with the lancair O-360 doing 190ktas says the same thing about me - 140 is "tolerable". But I say I have four seats and the unparalleled comparisons unwind further.

Only Yooper can say hush hush traveling children- you know not of what you speak.

It's a better apples to apples comparison based on the mission. Only piper with the same mission is the Comanche. My neighbor up in Boston had one and he said he got it over a mooney because it handles a load of ice better for when he flies to Europe. Yikes. Different mission indeed.

Brad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

What engine are they going to use for the mooney stigma? Will it have a BRS? When will it be available? How much?

Not fond of the name, but interested in the details. 

/smartassremark

12 hours ago, M20Doc said:

I'd add, seldom has a Piper been scrapped because it's steel gage rotted out(I'm supplying parts to one now) or its wing spars corroded away, or its fuel tanks started pissing fuel everywhere, I've repaired one Piper tank in more than 30 years.

It's overly complex gear isn't driven by a $1000 spring, with gears that wear out and jamb the gear, it uses $5.00 worth of O rings and a quart of hydraulic oil every 5 years not $1200 worth of rubber every 5-10 years.

Clarence

To add insult to injury , the piper tank comes off with the removal of about 60 screws and two hoses , and can be sent out and rebuilt for about 800 dollars ..... I have never had to have one repaired , but removed many , for a spar inspection AD.... ( you have to inspect the spar for corrosion , and then zinc chromate the spar  )

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

My IA just resealed an Arrow tank a month or so ago. Agreed though. I am not a fan of the Mooney wet wing. Both Piper and Van got it right in that regard making them removable.

I did have to pull the tanks in my Cherokee 180 for that AD.  We found no corrosion on the spar, but my Cherokee had been tied down in LA for years and we probabaly had to slot 3/4 of the screws because they were so rusty in order to remove the tanks. What a PIA, but nothing like resealing a Mooney wet wing.

Jim

Did you use a mallet and a 2x4 to dislodge the tank , or did you fight it...

6 hours ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Ha!  I really don't remember anything about it being difficult other than removing the rusty screws. If I recall I bought kits that included new structural screws, fuel lines, and perhaps sender gaskets for the job. It was pretty slick. 

The "trick" is to take a 2 foot 2x4 , and rest it against the top edge of the tank skin , where it overlaps the wing , and smack it with a mallet , sometimes they wont move...  

34 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

Its funny we all talk about money, but the one thing that money can never buy is TIME.  We fly because we love it, but also because it gets us from a to b faster.  That goes for the masses in their airbus/boeing tubes and us in our PPL tubes.  I fly the fastest part 23 aircraft i can afford so that i have more time to do the things i went there to do, not spend my life in queues waiting for security checks, or traffic jams.  

There is no other aircraft for the money i spent that does what a Mooney does speed wise.  Will it carry four adults. YES, just make sure they are of medicsl correct weight, not your avg fat sod.  Love the plane.  Sorry P and C, but actually your planes do NOT fly as well as a Mooney.

And thats my opinon so there.

You're welcome to stop by and fly my Comanche with me, I think you'll enjoy it.

Clarence

29 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

You're welcome to stop by and fly my Comanche with me, I think you'll enjoy it.

Clarence

Very few planes that I have flown , and not enjoyed ,  Probably the most enjoyable is the V tail , and the least enjoyable is the 210 ....

The first airplane I remember riding in was my Grandfather's Comanche 250. It's probably what set the hook. Later I got my HP/Cplx endorsement in my instructors Comanche 250. I've always liked the Comanche and was looking at them prior to Mooney's. If I wasn't able to find a nice Mooney to own, I'd own a Comanche without any reservations. 

Really nice airplanes.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned safety issues.  I would much rather be sitting in a Mooney rather than a Piper or Cessna should I need to make a forced landing.  Even the FAA said to me that they have seen forced landing made in a Mooney the pilots and passengers walked away from and that would not have been the case with the other two maker's planes.  I was out a Beegles Aircraft a couple of years ago and looked through their supply of wings.  The Mooney and Beechcraft  products were shoulders above in structural integrity as compare to the Piper and Cessna parts. 

John Breda

• Like 2

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned safety issues.  I would much rather be sitting in a Mooney rather than a Piper or Cessna should I need to make a forced landing.  Even the FAA said to me that they have seen forced landing made in a Mooney the pilots and passengers walked away from and that would not have been the case with the other two maker's planes.  I was out a Beegles Aircraft a couple of years ago and looked through their supply of wings.  The Mooney and Beechcraft  products were shoulders above in structural integrity as compare to the Piper and Cessna parts. 

John Breda

John Breda