Paramotor 15,000 ft

3 hours ago, Piloto said:

Impressive video, the kid has big cojones. No pilot relief needed for either #1 or #2. But at 15,000ft doesn't he needs to have ADS-B out.:o

José 

ADS-B isn't required anywhere in the U.S. until 1 January 2020 . . . At which time I will avoid those areas (especially since ATL Approach won't clear me into the Bravo anyway, T-Routes going my direction be damned . . .

Back in 2009 I went on a tandem hang glider ride in Rio de Janeiro. Upon meeting the pilot, who was about my age and about 150 lbs., he became concerned about my weight, which was 220 lbs. at the time. He asked me more than once on the drive up to the launch area if I would be able to sprint for the takeoff. I assured him I could, but at the launch site he harnessed us up and we made a couple practice runs across the parking lot before he was satisfied we could do it.

We launched off a downward-sloping ramp into a 2,600' abyss. Once the wing filled with air, the pilot sighed with relief and told me that some days it's better to be the passenger than the pilot.

We soared over the coastal jungle, then over houses, and finally over high-rise hotels before landing softly on the beach 15 minutes later. I checked my watch and complained that he advertised the flight to be at least 20 minutes.

He said, "Lose 20 kilos and then we'll go for 20 minutes."

Despite that humiliation I count it as one of the best flying experiences of my life. Nothing beats soaring like a bird, with only the sound of the wind in your ears.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, smwash02 said:

Only if your aircraft was certified with an electrical system. He's legal here.

It would be nice if he contacted flight service so a notam would be released.  To be honest I'm not sure how it works.  Who does one contact if they want a notam sent out ?

10 hours ago, Andy95W said:

Okay, I take it back, Mode C isn't required.

I still think he's a yutz.

Legal != Safe

20 hours ago, kerry said:

It would be nice if he contacted flight service so a notam would be released.  To be honest I'm not sure how it works.  Who does one contact if they want a notam sent out ?

FAA NOTAM Site or calling 1-877-4-US-NTMS

Looks like he took off and landed from a local park ,complete with soccer fields and baseball diamonds.Guessing somewhere in the midwest near one of the Great Lakes.He points out an airfield as he is spiraling down...so assuming he is out of that airports control zone than he is probably legal Class E with no transponder required..pretty boring going arround and arround

Just now, thinwing said:

Looks like he took off and landed from a local park ,complete with soccer fields and baseball diamonds.Guessing somewhere in the midwest near one of the Great Lakes.He points out an airfield as he is spiraling down...so assuming he is out of that airports control zone than he is probably legal Class E with no transponder required..pretty boring going arround and arround

If you paid attention, he is outside of Plilly

Obviously very few of you, have ever experienced the joy of free flight.

And just like all the disparagement and complaining about someone flying slower that you think should be allowed, I'm sure other pilots are saying the same thing about us when we're slowing to gear speed on the ILS at some Charlie or Bravo airport and backing up some Boeing who's a little behind schedule. 

39 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Obviously very few of you, have ever experienced the joy of free flight.

And just like all the disparagement and complaining about someone flying slower that you think should be allowed, I'm sure other pilots are saying the same thing about us when we're slowing to gear speed on the ILS at some Charlie or Bravo airport and backing up some Boeing who's a little behind schedule. 

I ve experienced 250 jumps but they weren't free

On 3/1/2017 at 1:47 PM, Piloto said:

Impressive video, the kid has big cojones. No pilot relief needed for either #1 or #2. But at 15,000ft doesn't he needs to have ADS-B out.:o

José 

Hey  jose' on to something....Piloto brand parasailing diapers for when relief spells yucky disaster for those on the ground!

34 minutes ago, thinwing said:

I ve experienced 250 jumps but they weren't free

I assume you refer to parachute jumps? If so, that's not free flight. In fact it's not flight but falling under relative control. Unless you can climb under control, it's not flying.

I've done some skydiving as well, but it's not the same as flying.