Low Time Mooney Pilots, What is your Crosswind Comfort?

On 3/14/2017 at 11:55 AM, Gary0747 said:

I have always been afraid of extreem slips with full flaps in a Mooney on final. Anybody else?

I have seen no issue with my '75F.  I keep the speed at 85 to 90 MPH, full rudder, and smoothly transition out.  Not even a hint of buffeting or strange control issues.  I have not tried it at slower speeds as I don't really have a desire to be inverted (unexpectedly) in my airplane at low altitudes (or high for that matter).

On 3/18/2017 at 6:33 PM, Guitarmaster said:

I have seen no issue with my '75F.  I keep the speed at 85 to 90 MPH, full rudder, and smoothly transition out.  Not even a hint of buffeting or strange control issues.  I have not tried it at slower speeds as I don't really have a desire to be inverted (unexpectedly) in my airplane at low altitudes (or high for that matter).

• Like 1

Tonight was Night Currency time. The wind was almost directly cross, and I slipped up and had it as a quartering  tailwind on a not-so-nice departure. Landed the right way, taxied back and headed 20 nm away for fuel (we ain't got none, I'm the only functional plane there).

My fuel stop has ASOS,  calling 8-10 knots almost straight down 36, which is uphill. That was a short landing, requiring power to reach the midfield turn off for fuel. Departed uphill with nary a problem, climbed briskly to 3000 msl (100-105 mph, 1000-1200 fpm. Holy cow, is this really my C? OAT was 65°F).

Landing at home, 3200 feet long at 326 msl, I rolled i to the downwind turn at 1300 msl, slowing through 140 mph, so I went a little wide and long but forgot about the crosswind. Had to add power to hold > 700 msl on a very long base leg, then turned final and finessed it down with no VASIs. Wind from the right, bank into it, add some left rudder, get all lined up. Most unusually for me, the right tire touched first, followed over a second later by the left tire, then 2-3 seconds more until the nose came down. It never works that way for me! So naturally, it was at night, flying solo to regain night currency . . . .

And that's how it's supposed to be. Man, did that last landing feel good! I usually just thump it on in direct crosswinds.

• Like 2