I intend to start using blue painters tape over my fuel caps when I stop, with fueling instructions written on them. Last time in Key West, Signature didn't install my cap correctly and I ended up with nearly a quart of water in the tank. After sumping til I couldn't get any more water out, I started on the "good" tank, did a bunch of hard S-turns on the taxiway, sumped more water out of the tank. Left my passengers behind, took off, flew over the field, switched tanks and flew the airplane hard, switched back the good tank, landed, picked up my passengers, took off and headed home. 

Wow, interesting talk generated over a simple rain cap. I think I will continue to use this little gizmo and use the original O-ring. The issue to me is to prevent water from getting in there in the first place. Additionally, I am located in Kelowna, B.C.. We have had a more sever winter than usual this winter. Sever or not we alway have freezing temperatures in winter an if water pools around the fuel cap it will freeze and expend. Freeze-thaw-freeze-thaw... Seems better to just keep water out. 

We've a simple people in Canada. If you don't like what's on TV. We turn the TV off ;) 

• Like 2

Late to read this thread but should have done so sooner after picking ice out of the fuel cap so I can open it. Going to put these in place today hopefully simplifying tomorrow's early departure.

This is a fantastic idea and am going to do the same. Another simple Canadian on the wet (and unusually cold) west coast.  It is snowing again...what's up with this winter?

• Like 1

Will do what i can Badmoon. Between work and family, Mooney time is what tends to give way.  I'll check out the schedule and plan for it.

Kelowna/Penticton is fantastic in the summer but getting accommodations can be the challenge.

iain

On 3/4/2017 at 4:50 PM, Antares said:

I intend to start using blue painters tape over my fuel caps when I stop, with fueling instructions written on them. Last time in Key West, Signature didn't install my cap correctly and I ended up with nearly a quart of water in the tank. After sumping til I couldn't get any more water out, I started on the "good" tank, did a bunch of hard S-turns on the taxiway, sumped more water out of the tank. Left my passengers behind, took off, flew over the field, switched tanks and flew the airplane hard, switched back the good tank, landed, picked up my passengers, took off and headed home. 

That's concerning. It sounds like you may have a plugged rib drain that is allowing water to pool behind a rib and not run down to the drain. Any water entering the system should have an unobstructed path to the drain. There is an SB for that.

http://www.mooney.com/en/sb/M20-230A.pdf

-Robert