Prop Strike Repair Cost

rpcc

22 minutes ago, N6758N said:

No teardown required on a continental. Dial indicator on the crank flange to make sure it is straight plus the cost of a new prop if your old one cannot be repaired.

That may not be correct. From TCM SB96-11A http://www.certifiedengines.com/pub/SB96-11A.pdf:

PROPELLER STRIKE INSPECTIONS. 

Following any propeller strike, complete disassembly and inspection of all rotating engine components is mandatory and must be accomplished prior to further flight. Inspect all engine driven accessories in accordance with the manufacturer’s maintenance instructions. 

Prior to any ground operation of the engine assure that the propeller flange and the crankshaft flange area are free of any crack indications. In addition to the engine component inspection requirements set forth in the appropriate overhaul manual, the following inspection procedures must be accomplished

1. The crankshaft must be inspected by magnetic particle inspection. All crankshaft surfaces must be cleaned free of sludge, paint or any other substance that could mask reliable magnetic particle inspection indications. 

2. Connecting rods, gears, and all other steel internal engine parts must be magnetic particle inspected. 

3. The crankcase must be stripped and fluorescent penetrant inspection performed, paying particular attention to the forward crankcase bearing support and adjacent structure. 

4. Connecting rod bolts and nuts must be replaced regardless of condition. 

5. On counterweight equipped engines, replacement of all counterweight pins, bushings, end plates and snap rings is required regardless of their condition. Counterweight bushing bores in both counterweights and crankshaft must be inspected in accordance with the criteria contained in the latest revision of SB00-3. 

6. Inspect all engine-driven accessories in accordance with the accessory manufacturer's instructions. 

• Like 1

prop strike propellers generally cannot be repaired, because damage to any blade that requires blade replacement mandates that the hub be scrapped. So a prop strike repair is really a purchase of a new or overhauled propeller outright, and an engine IRAN. An IO-550 IRAN costs about $14K, plus R&R labor costs. Be aware that the majority of Continentals these days (even low time late model engines) will have cam problems, or starter adapter problems, that can add $4-5K to the bill, and it will not be covered by insurance. I just did a 2014 with 280 total time, and Continental would not warranty the cam because the plane had one period where the oil change interval exceeded 6 months, by two months. This is part of the 5 year warranty coverage, where the oil must be changed at least every six months no matter what.

And Continental's service bulletin, while very good advice, is not mandatory. Because it is a service bulletin, and SB's are not mandatory unless incorporated in the body of an AD. And there is no AD that applies, like Lycoming's accessory case gear inspection. So you are not compelled to do anything other than ensure the crank run out does not exceed limits. But it would be unwise as far as resale value goes, not to mention that buyers prefer a well documented repair over a short cut to save money.

Edited by philiplane
  • Like 3

To answer the OP's question, about $30k all-in if you get new prop blades. Depending on how much of the blade was q-tipped you might be able to trim off the tips and have the propellor still be in spec...they can take of about a half-inch as I recall. Insurance should cover this in its entirety.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Deb said:

That may not be correct. From TCM SB96-11A http://www.certifiedengines.com/pub/SB96-11A.pdf:

PROPELLER STRIKE INSPECTIONS. 

Following any propeller strike, complete disassembly and inspection of all rotating engine components is mandatory and must be accomplished prior to further flight. Inspect all engine driven accessories in accordance with the manufacturer’s maintenance instructions. 

Prior to any ground operation of the engine assure that the propeller flange and the crankshaft flange area are free of any crack indications. In addition to the engine component inspection requirements set forth in the appropriate overhaul manual, the following inspection procedures must be accomplished

1. The crankshaft must be inspected by magnetic particle inspection. All crankshaft surfaces must be cleaned free of sludge, paint or any other substance that could mask reliable magnetic particle inspection indications. 

2. Connecting rods, gears, and all other steel internal engine parts must be magnetic particle inspected. 

3. The crankcase must be stripped and fluorescent penetrant inspection performed, paying particular attention to the forward crankcase bearing support and adjacent structure. 

4. Connecting rod bolts and nuts must be replaced regardless of condition. 

5. On counterweight equipped engines, replacement of all counterweight pins, bushings, end plates and snap rings is required regardless of their condition. Counterweight bushing bores in both counterweights and crankshaft must be inspected in accordance with the criteria contained in the latest revision of SB00-3. 

6. Inspect all engine-driven accessories in accordance with the accessory manufacturer's instructions. 

And SBs are not mandatory, so yes, I am correct.

18 hours ago, N6758N said:

No teardown required on a continental. Dial indicator on the crank flange to make sure it is straight plus the cost of a new prop if your old one cannot be repaired.

What kind of advice is this?

Continental powered aircraft operating under Part 135 have to comply with all manufacturers service bulletins. Therefore they have to comply with SB96-11A. 

If part 135 has to comply then part 91 should as well...unless of course, a part 135 life is more valuable than a part 91.

Also Continental (and Lycoming) are very concerned about prop strikes causing damage to the rear of the crank in oil slinger area which can be pushed back into the rear of the case. Dialing in the flange is totally worthless in this case.

2 hours ago, PTK said:

Continental powered aircraft operating under Part 135 have to comply with all manufacturers service bulletins. Therefore they have to comply with SB96-11A. 

If part 135 has to comply then part 91 should as well...unless of course, a part 135 life is more valuable than a part 91.

Also Continental (and Lycoming) are very concerned about prop strikes causing damage to the rear of the crank in oil slinger area which can be pushed back into the rear of the case. Dialing in the flange is totally worthless in this case.

Agreed Part 135 must comply with this, but just because you think part 91 should as well does not mean the rest of us are required to. It certainly isn't a bad idea to do a teardown after a prop strike on any engine, but it isn't required in this case. Do you have data to back up your statement regarding Continental and Lycoming's concerns in this area? In the case of Lycoming there is an AD that requires us to do more than just dial the flange. I would like to see if there is accident data to backup engine failures following a prop strike (not stating that there isn't. I have done multiple prop strike inspections on both Lycoming and Continental engines which have gone on in service for 100's and 100's of hours without a hitch. The reality of all this is that 9/10 prop strike inspections end up being a teardown simply because an insurance company is involved and they don't want the liability otherwise. This is just my opinion based on my limited expertise as an IA, however as I am not a dentist I will not try and comment on how to drill holes in someones teeth... Happy Flying Peter :)

• Like 2

Thank you all for your advice.  I'm really looking for someone to say - yup, I'm that person that dinged their nice Ovation prop and here's what I did to fix the issue this is what I - or my insurance paid for the work. 

Edited by rpcc

3 hours ago, PTK said:

Its good advise , I am in the aviation business full time , I deal with a number of big repair stations , I have never heard of any crank being condemned that dialed out , period , end of story..... Dialing of the flange is the industry standard..... So glad you are an expert , Peter Garmin.... By the way , when did you get your A&P.... I have mine , I have flown behind prop struck engines for many years..... In fact , I fly behind a prop struck IO-520 in my personal aircraft.... I dialed it , dyed it (not required) installed it , and signed it off.. ( I can do that , I have a license) .... What are your qualifications ???

• Like 4

I have a neighbor who bought a Cessna 185 with prop strike history.

He dialed the crank flange.....perfect.  He put a new prop on the plane and flew it.

100 hours later, the flange and prop departed the aircraft as he pulled the throttle to idle on landing.  Obviously, there may have been other un-recorded history involved, but who knows?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Alan Fox said:

Its good advise , I am in the aviation business full time , I deal with a number of big repair stations , I have never heard of any crank being condemned that dialed out , period , end of story..... Dialing of the flange is the industry standard..... So glad you are an expert , Peter Garmin.... By the way , when did you get your A&P.... I have mine , I have flown behind prop struck engines for many years..... In fact , I fly behind a prop struck IO-520 in my personal aircraft.... I dialed it , dyed it (not required) installed it , and signed it off.. ( I can do that , I have a license) .... What are your qualifications ???

You are also the "qualified expert" who insisted you know best about BMW procedures. You insisted BMW uses an aftermarket additive in their transmissions! Bit you could not remember the name or refer to the BMW service instruction! And you insisted Acura officially endorses using an aftermarket oil additive! But you could not refer to the service instruction! 

You are a qualified jack of all trades... etc. etc...

But I digress...

The question is not about condemning the crank or not. 

21 minutes ago, PTK said:

You are also the "qualified expert" who insisted you know best about BMW procedures. You insisted BMW uses an aftermarket additive in their transmissions! Bit you could not remember the name or refer to the BMW service instruction! And you insisted Acura officially endorses using an aftermarket oil additive! But you could not refer to the service instruction! 

You are a qualified jack of all trades... etc. etc...

But I digress...

The question is not about condemning the crank or not. 

You are not worth referencing the bulletin , My reputation in the automotive repair industry is the best.... That is why you paid me to fix your Jeep, I retired with a 5 star yelp rating .....https://www.yelp.com/biz/euro-tech-auto-cherry-hill     Your dentistry , may well be another subject...https://www.yelp.com/biz/peter-t-kousoulis-dmd-philadelphia

56 minutes ago, Alan Fox said:

+10

7 minutes ago, Alan Fox said:

You are not worth referencing the bulletin , My reputation in the automotive repair industry is the best.... That is why you paid me to fix your Jeep, I retired with a 5 star yelp rating .....https://www.yelp.com/biz/euro-tech-auto-cherry-hill     Your dentistry , may well be another subject...https://www.yelp.com/biz/peter-t-kousoulis-dmd-philadelphia

there it is right there\

We had a prop strike at full power that dinged 1/2" off all three blades on a TSIO360.  Engine had 77 SMOH, so had been recently inspected.  I insisted on teardown, and the crank was cracked in three places.  

A friend bought a low time TSIO550 that had an off airport landing with no power.  Prop condition  was unknown, so we had a teardown done - crank was x-rayed or magna fluxed, no problems.  Cost was about $6000 for the basic teardown and reassembly.  But additional items found jacked the bill up to $11,000.  Excludes shipping and installation.

Once you have opened up an insurance claim, push for all the work you can get done.  Otherwise, how are you ever going to feel comfortable flying at night, water and even selling the plane down the road?

Don

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Alan Fox said:

Why do you feel the need to repeatedly act hostile towards members? And more importantly, why are you allowed to and sell your wares around here? 

• Like 2