Prop Strike Repair Cost

rpcc

8 minutes ago, Godfather said:

Got to agree with peevee.  That was a low blow personal attack...NOT impressed. 

Actually the worst of it is doxxing someone. If the powers that be cared about their members at all that would be grounds for removal. Immediately.

• Like 2

On 2/25/2017 at 10:17 AM, rpcc said:

I'm looking for actual costs for a prop strike repair in a later model Ovation.  Anyone have any experience with this repair?  I'm sure the costs can vary widely - looking forward to hearing about your experiences.

You haven't given us any idea what the damage is limited too. Is it only sudden prop stoppage damage without any air-frame damage, or the more common prop strike due to a gear up landing? Damage can vary widely too depending on the cause.

41 minutes ago, peevee said:

Why do you feel the need to repeatedly act hostile towards members? And more importantly, why are you allowed to and sell your wares around here? 

Its one member , That I know personally , and I do get carried away at times... As far as selling my wares , it is few and far between on Mooneyspace...

2 hours ago, Mooneymite said:

I have a neighbor who bought a Cessna 185 with prop strike history.

He dialed the crank flange.....perfect.  He put a new prop on the plane and flew it.

100 hours later, the flange and prop departed the aircraft as he pulled the throttle to idle on landing.  Obviously, there may have been other un-recorded history involved, but who knows?

The later 185 Cessna  had the 520 engine , They had an AD on cranks (var)  It is possible that was what caused the failure.... It is also possible (but not probable) that the strike  caused the failure..

I don't believe personal attacks have a place in this forum - the quality of information here is too good for this.  You guys have to stop this.

Again,  I'm not asking about a specific situation, I'm asking about owners real world experiences with their specific issues related to a prop strike and their actions to repair and the cost associated.   

3 minutes ago, peevee said:

It's more than one. And again, doxxing.

It isn't doxxing if nearly everyone on the forum already knows what Alan and Peter do to make a living. These guys know each other well and actually get along reasonably well enough in real life. Its all in good fun;) The OP asked for repair costs and some folks here like to state their opinions as facts, which is fine for them, but for someone looking for hard numbers they should know the real facts, maybe coming from those of us who are in the aircraft maintenance business...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peevee said:

Why do you feel the need to repeatedly act hostile towards members? And more importantly, why are you allowed to and sell your wares around here? 

PTK frequently goes on the attack.  check the history.  Alan is a good guy but can only take so much condescention about things he does for a living. Much like me.  I wil say Alan is a stand up guy an an asset to the aviation community.  He provides a valuable service and he is well respected. Half the stuff in my panel came from Alan, and it all worked the first time, or he would have exchanged it. Thats all I got for now.

Edited by jetdriven
  • Like 4

Back to our regularly scheduled program-

I just last summer worked on a 520 gear collapse (hard landing) that got the prop (broke the blades lose in the hub). Sent the engine out for IRAN and it came back clean as a whistle, @ $12K not counting the prop and shipping. Used prop about $7500. 

I had an overhaul in my own C model 10 years ago that had 12 years on the engine from a gear up. When my crank was magnafluxed it failed due to a crack in the large front bearing journal. I "suspect" it had been there since the prop strike (log book somewhat questionable on the overhaul but I knew that going in and accepted the consequences).

In my mind its a toss up. With a Lycoming you can get away with the rear drive gear AD only, IF YOU WANT. With a Continental, your part 135 you're going in for the full Monte period, no choice. If you're Pt 91, what you do is your option, nothing "mandatory". You decide how much liability you want to accept now and down the line if you go short and not tear down for a good look see. 

If you're insured, they might set the limits on you. 

• Like 2

On 2/26/2017 at 8:43 PM, Alan Fox said:

You are not worth referencing the bulletin , My reputation in the automotive repair industry is the best.... That is why you paid me to fix your Jeep, I retired with a 5 star yelp rating .....https://www.yelp.com/biz/euro-tech-auto-cherry-hill     Your dentistry , may well be another subject...https://www.yelp.com/biz/peter-t-kousoulis-dmd-philadelphia

Yelp has been discredited in court and is not considered a credible source. Their reviews are biased, allowed to be anonymous and much too frequently solicited. This means that anyone can go on yelp and post as many bogus reviews as they want.  And any business can solicit anyone to post fake good reviews. Additionally yelp is driven by aggressive advertising and they manipulate reviews accordingly. They will move good reviews to the top of the list based on advertising with them. This borders on extortion. Also they will remove good reviews and allow bad reviews according to some secretive policy that is not known. They manipulate, delete or obscure reviews according to secret practices. They cannot be relied upon and sophisticated consumers know this. Especially health care consumers.

The reviews that are credible and can be relied upon are unsolicited and from actual real live patients who have first hand experience of a provider.

Such as these...

https://reviews.solutionreach.com/vs/allsmiles_dental_

• Like 1

Somebody dinged my o's prop...

Two of the blades were unusable.

1) The engine mount was sent out  for inspection.

2) The engine needed to be torn down for inspection or OH.

I'm only a PP and not a mechanic.  I may not be able to recognize a maintenance issue that a mechanic or pilot with more experience may recognize...

We went with OH because the hours on the engine were closing in on TBO. Doing all the work and not having everything in tip top condition when it is done wouldn't work for my situation.  Doing it again in a few years doesn't make a lot of economic sense.

A) new prop 15AMU.  TopProp.

B ) Cont. fact. Reman eng. 35AMU. IO550 (N) 310hp.

C) R&R 10 AmU.  Mount inspection thru 2700rpm tach update.

D) other assorted sordid details... a few more AMU

E) All in cost of a pretty crummy day is about 60amu for an ordinary PP with low experience and no mechanical experience.

F) The other parties insurance covers the things that can't be re-used...

G) It is OK to buy things that aren't required.  That's why you fly a Mooney, especially a big O...:)

Essentially the ground struck my prop.  The ground's insurance paid for everything accept the factory reman engine...

Post more questions as you go through the process... there is a lot of experience around here.

Ground strikes and TBO are two good reasons why IO550s get the 310hp upgrade.  

These numbers are just estimates of a memory that is many years old...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PTK said:

Yelp has been discredited and is not considered a credible source. Their reviews are biased, allowed to be anonymous and much too frequently solicited. This means that anyone can go on yelp and post as many bogus reviews as they want.  And any business can solicit anyone to post fake good reviews. Additionally yelp is driven by aggressive advertising and they manipulate reviews accordingly. They will move good reviews to the top of the list based on advertising with them. This borders on extortion. Also they will remove good reviews and allow bad reviews according to some secretive policy and it is not known how they manipulate, delete or obscure reviews according to secret practices. They cannot be relied upon and sophisticated consumers know this. Especially health care consumers.

The reviews that are credible and can be relied upon are unsolicited and from actual real live patients who have first hand experience of a provider.

Such as these...

https://reviews.solutionreach.com/vs/allsmiles_dental_

Yelp may not be aceptable ot you, but with a rating like that, i can see why.  Yelp is very much relevant when shopping for goods and services.

@rpcc

i bought my Ovation 3 months after the previous owner had a prop strike on a non-removed tow bar. He invested in a new prop and a full tear down. Good thing too, or I wouldn't have bought it. I don't have the logs with me, but seem to recall he paid around $30k for the whole affair.

6 months earlier I walked away from another Ovation, which was somewhat cheaper because it didn't have a tear down inspection after a prop strike.

ymmv, but I suspect that in a market where used Mooneys sell slowly it's best to err on the side of over maintaining and inspecting so you have a better sales proposition when the day comes.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2017 at 4:13 PM, PTK said:

If part 135 has to comply then part 91 should as well...unless of course, a part 135 life is more valuable than a part 91.

This is ridiculous logic. There is absolutely no reason to hold part 91 ops to the same regulatory standard as part 135. I support your right to maintain your aircraft to any standard you wish over and above what is required by the administrator. To each there own, but blanket statements like that are just silly.

Do you really think a J3 operating out of a farm strip in Idaho should be held to the same regulatory standard as 135 air carrier, or where you just being reactionary?

39 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

This is ridiculous logic. There is absolutely no reason to hold part 91 ops to the same regulatory standard as part 135. I support your right to maintain your aircraft to any standard you wish over and above what is required by the administrator. To each there own, but blanket statements like that are just silly.

Do you really think a J3 operating out of a farm strip in Idaho should be held to the same regulatory standard as 135 air carrier, or where you just being reactionary?

He's just being Peter, where "silly" is a polite description . . .  

1 hour ago, Shadrach said:

I was referring to the prop strike teardown inspection when someone was suggesting it was not needed. I think it'd be silly not to do it in view of the published mandatory SB which establishes the standard practice and insurance cvers. I was pointing out that if part 135 has to comply with it why should part 91 be any different when it comes to this SB? But irrelevant to the SB, is there a good reason not to do it?