Places flown

amillet

Florida flight was one way picking up newly purchased N1084L and flying home to WA.  Flight stopped in Flora IL was to drop off a different 201 for tank reseal. They then delivered it to OK where it was painted and I picked it up there. Dallas flight was picking that airplane up at purchase.

1 minute ago, Godfather said:

You need to extend your map for a trip up to Alaska :)

Now if I can figure out how to make a map like this, it will need to include a local flight in Juneau not connected to the lower 48 (airliner from ATL to San Fran, cruise up the west coast). It was an amazing experience, and definitely different from what I was used to flying around WV. It was also the only Continental 172 I've ever flown, and the only 172 with an MP gauge.

4 hours ago, midlifeflyer said:

The MyFlightBook online logbook will create a list and map of places you've flown and even export them to Google Earth.

It actually kind of funny to do since it also helps locate airport ID errors. I had two airports listed in China due to a typo.

It also gives you an approximate miles flown which is fun. It computes it as straight line distance between airports but if you want to you can put nav aids and GPS coordinates in your route and it will take that into account when calculating.

11 hours ago, Hank said:

Now if I can figure out how to make a map like this, it will need to include a local flight in Juneau not connected to the lower 48 (airliner from ATL to San Fran, cruise up the west coast). It was an amazing experience, and definitely different from what I was used to flying around WV. It was also the only Continental 172 I've ever flown, and the only 172 with an MP gauge.

Darn it, why didn't I think of that while I was up there last summer.  Oh, that's right, the misses was busy dragging us all over Juneau during the short layover, but the glacier was cool.  :huh:

Sounds like that was amazing flight.  Did you get to fly over Mendenhall Glacier?

Cheers,

Brian

Also available is http://www.gcmap.com/ 

Great for a quick and dirty depiction of multiple legs.  Also selectable statute, or nautical miles.

Here was a recent non-Mooney trip I flew:

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=GA04-lga-teb-kash-klga-kbwi-tist-tupj-khou-krdu-kfrg-khvn-ksan-kbur-mmun-mmzo-vny-lax-atl&DU=nm&SG=130&SU=mph

42 minutes ago, flight2000 said:

Darn it, why didn't I think of that while I was up there last summer.  Oh, that's right, the misses was busy dragging us all over Juneau during the short layover, but the glacier was cool.  :huh:

Sounds like that was amazing flight.  Did you get to fly over Mendenhall Glacier?

Cheers,

Brian

Mendenhall is almost next to the airport, and crowded with flights from the cruise ship. We climbed out south down the channel and overflew another glacier (for the name, I gotta pull my sectional). It was pretty cool! The wife took 100+ pictures and several videos totaling over 10 minutes from the back seat; I logged 1.2 hours. Our flight was at 2:00, giving us plenty of time to run around town first. The $2 bus ride to the airport . . . stopped outside the Federal Penitentiary . . . We took a taxi back, for ~$20.

Having the Juneau sectional as we cruised the fjords was great! It showed all of the glaciers even before the ship got there, so we always knew where to look.

Just now, Mooneymite said:

Also available is http://www.gcmap.com/ 

Great for a quick and dirty depiction of multiple legs.  Also selectable statute, or nautical miles.

Here was a recent non-Mooney trip I flew:

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=GA04-lga-teb-kash-klga-kbwi-tist-tupj-khou-krdu-kfrg-khvn-ksan-kbur-mmun-mmzo-vny-lax-atl&DU=nm&SG=130&SU=mph

But you left Mallards Landing and returned to ATL! 

What were you flying? Looks too slow to be a jet, but the distances are quite far over land and water.

9 minutes ago, Hank said:

Looks too slow to be a jet, but the distances are quite far over land and water.

The ground speed value can be changed to anything you want and it is no-wind.  It just so happened that the GS was set to 130....meaningless for this trip.  I think the longest leg for that particular week was 6.6 block to block against a 100+ kt wind.  This is not a trip planning tool, but just a depiction of connected points.  The routes depicted are great circle, not actual routes flown and may be quite different.

Edited by Mooneymite

7 hours ago, midlifeflyer said:

The MyFlightBook online logbook will create a list and map of places you've flown and even export them to Google Earth.

It actually kind of funny to do since it also helps locate airport ID errors. I had two airports listed in China due to a typo.

IMG_0493.PNG

Looks like you flew to Victoria, BC.  I'm 15 min. Flight south of there.

11 hours ago, flight2000 said:

Here's mine.  Some smaller airports are missing, but this is probably a good 90% solution...  :)

Got a coast-to-coast move coming up in June going Reno, NV to Richmond, VA. 

Cheers,

Brian

All Flights Map 2-26-17.gif

Brian,

What program did you use?

8 hours ago, kpaul said:

Brian,

What program did you use?

I used  http://www.gcmap.com/,  which is the same one @Mooneymite highlighted in his post above. 

The maps became easier to read if I simply used regional based flights instead of all of them.  Wish they could make it bigger, but that's what they give you...

I've used the website before and it also has a pretty cool feature for looking at range circles based on endurance and location input.

Cheers,

Brian

• Like 1

On 2/26/2017 at 0:19 PM, amillet said:

My sister, currently living in Asheville, N.C., has bought property in Port Angeles and is building a new home overlooking the sound.    My current Mooney came off of Boeing Field, and I served at Fort Lewis from 1975 to 1977.  At some point in the future I will be flying out to visit her and my old stomping grounds.  Maybe we can meet up?  You can't be very far from there?

Tom

On 2/26/2017 at 1:19 PM, amillet said:

No. The line that seems to go all the way to Victoria is not even a typo, and doesn't appear in the native graphic. The furthest north I've been in that area is the Seattle area, with KPAE being the north most airport.