Engine upgrade. STC or 337?

Guitarmaster

1 minute ago, Guitarmaster said:

Thinking about changing to this engine .

36 Cylinder Lycoming. 5000hp.

What you think? STC or 337?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Neither, Experimental for research and development purposes.

Shouldn't be a problem either since I doubt an F model could possibly hold enough fuel to allow those 36 cylinders to come up to full power long enough to get airborne.

• Like 1

Hate to pour cold water on a hot topic, that being said,

you may need a bit of aft ballast to solve those pesky cg issues.

With the io550 in the m20R, Mooney partially solved the forward cg issue by adding another battery aft.

Suspect in your case you might consider this method of solving your forward cg problems.

Additionally, if you need a bit more thrust on takeoff, the Scimitar prop will help immensely.

• Like 1

I know...

i figure if you extend the tail back about 75 ft and then put a few batteries back there and the Cg problem will be fixed.

then make a tail dragged conversion and really long main gear to lift the nose up so you can put a real big prop on the nose.

there - problem solved.  Now what's for lunch?

• Like 1

With the io550 in the m20R, Mooney partially solved the forward cg issue by adding another battery aft.
Suspect in your case you might consider this method of solving your forward cg problems.
Additionally, if you need a bit more thrust on takeoff, the Scimitar prop will help immensely.

Like this?

058fc4893d3f42a511dba1008a4f5c4b.jpg

2 hours ago, Guitarmaster said:

Like this?

058fc4893d3f42a511dba1008a4f5c4b.jpg

I think that you'll need two of them, the engine appears to have two concentric prop shafts, which is good news as you won't need to install rudder trim.

Clarence

The best way to cure your cg problem is install the skymaster mod to your Mooney and put a reversed engine in the back:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1