OK I'm a Luddite when it comes to iPads Glass Panel?

cliffy

I'm not an iPad type ( I just got an iPhone from the company, I'm not smart phone capable at all). I don't use an iPad in flight.  Here's a question-

How accurate is the altitude display on iPads compared to the altimeter? Why do I ask you say, well-

I was thinking after looking at a couple of panels in another thread that if it was close, for VFR flying, why not think of clips that allow the iPad to be mounted directly in front of the 6 pack instruments and not on the control wheel? It would meet "not hard mounted" as it would just snap right in and out.  Or maybe 4 Velcro dots on studs out of the panel? 

You'd still have all the required instruments working and easily viewed by removing the iPad. Seems most people fly by the iPad anyway. 

If the iPad altimeter is way off maybe a second altimeter that parallels the official one somewhere else in the cockpit. Might not even have to be hooked up to the static system as its reference only when VFR, if it stays even with the official one. 

I also realize that the altitude is a GPS derived altitude in the iPad. It would be nice if the altitude digitizer could feed the altimeter on the iPad.

Just thinking for now. Just tossing out ideas for a quick and dirty glass panel. 

The I-Pad is great for charts, plates and situational awareness. I've had an I-pad in the cockpit for the past 7 years or so and its very accurate in ALL aspects (checked against several IFR certified GPS's). The mini fits in the plane much better than the original that I started out with (still have both). Personally the yoke mount is the best, yes you can feel the weight but it's no big deal (I've had I-pads on both yokes at the same time). Get with someone that flys with one and go up to see what your missing.

By the way Cliffy, your iPhone comes with a built-in pressure transducer. I downloaded an app called "BARO" which is essentially a pressure altimeter. It lets you set the local altimeter setting and in my plane with an IFR Cert it reads within 20-30 feet of my altimeter all the way to 10K feet (have not tested it above that). I was surprised the pressure sensor in the iPhone is this accurate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I'm not an iPad type ( I just got an iPhone from the company, I'm not smart phone capable at all). I don't use an iPad in flight.  Here's a question-
How accurate is the altitude display on iPads compared to the altimeter? Why do I ask you say, well-
I was thinking after looking at a couple of panels in another thread that if it was close, for VFR flying, why not think of clips that allow the iPad to be mounted directly in front of the 6 pack instruments and not on the control wheel? It would meet "not hard mounted" as it would just snap right in and out.  Or maybe 4 Velcro dots on studs out of the panel? 
You'd still have all the required instruments working and easily viewed by removing the iPad. Seems most people fly by the iPad anyway. 
If the iPad altimeter is way off maybe a second altimeter that parallels the official one somewhere else in the cockpit. Might not even have to be hooked up to the static system as its reference only when VFR, if it stays even with the official one. 
I also realize that the altitude is a GPS derived altitude in the iPad. It would be nice if the altitude digitizer could feed the altimeter on the iPad.
Just thinking for now. Just tossing out ideas for a quick and dirty glass panel. 

Are you the same guy who said we needed to have our seats recertified if we added a headrest? (Don't answer that, I know you are).

I have seen some interesting usages of iPads in the experimental world.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

GPS vertical accuracy is not as good as horizontal accuracy for geometric reasons.  It is usually about 1.5 times worse and is more likely to degrade periodically due to geometric dilution of precision.

GPS altitude accuracy degrades somewhat at high northern and southern latitudes. Use of other satellite navigation constellations can improve the accuracy in polar areas.  GLONASS and Galileo satellite orbits have greater inclination than GPS birds & thus better coverage of high latitudes.  

GPS altitude is not barometric. It is absolute altitude relative to a software model approximating mean sea level.  Naturally GPS, GLONASS and Galileo all use different earth models. 

At some point perhaps we'll all switch to use of GPS / GLONASS / Galileo altitude. Then you'll no longer have to set your altimeter, or have it periodically tested.  

Density altitude will still be with us, however. 

Jerry - interesting description of the nuances of GPS altitude  It did add to my previous knowledge of GPS altitudes (I did know that they were not barometric derived)  and used a variety of datums.  Very interesting though Thanks

Big Load Hauler (you know who you are :-) Yes I am, but I crafted my message in a very narrow corner to allow for the regs. And I was looking for commentary on the idea. Its just my load to bear that the nuances and technicalities of the regs seem to be my thing. I find them interesting, sometimes though, they become obtuse (to steal a word from The Shawshank Redemption). Sometimes they should be relegated to the trash bin if for no other reason than being out of date (look to the differences between sport aircraft electronics and our small Part 23 "certified" stuff, pure stupidity the way our Pt 23 stuff is handled but it is the law as written). Someday the FAA will pull their heads out of the dark and become enlightened. Letting go of control is a hard thing to do. 

On Saturday, February 25, 2017 at 7:19 AM, Marauder said:

Are you the same guy who said we needed to have our seats recertified if we added a headrest? (Don't answer that, I know you are). emoji3.png

I have seen some interesting usages of iPads in the experimental world.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Love it! A little ironic.....

• Like 1

On 2/24/2017 at 3:14 PM, cliffy said:

Good question.  As others have said, the altitude and attitude (when using foreflight+stratus) on the iPad are probably even better than your panel-mounted equivalents.

But your iPad is not capable of measuring airspeed.  The "speed ticker" on foreflight's AHRS page is your speed over the ground, not your speed through the air.  The only source of airspeed is your airspeed indicator.  I wouldn't feel comfortable covering up that instrument with your iPad, at least not while in the pattern or maneuvering.

Also your iPad doesn't know your heading, it only knows your groundtrack.  But that's arguably less important than airspeed.

3914N  Agreed on both counts but I was just thinking while in cruise to get some room on the front seats. Pickup the junk and put it where it could be seen easier. In cruise I only care about track and for speed and I only care about GS in flight anyway- when will I get there. If the altitude gets checked on the way up to cruise altitude and is accurate then it would probably be OK for cruise, VFR. 

Just tossing ideas around.