Buying an Airplane

KLRDMD

Just now, Godfather said:

Ken, what would you say a good price is on a plane in good condition 500-1000 smoh, single working 155 w/gs, no leaks?  Starting to think about a c/e/g for a family member.  I'm thinking around 35-40 but I'm not sure if they are going to require 15k in refurb costs. 

I think that's perfectly reasonable. A friend of mine has this for sale that I am fairly sure you could buy in that price range. http://www.klrdmd.com/N5918Q.html

On March 12, 2017 at 9:37 PM, smlynarczyk said:

* Why do I need to call for the price? Really? Is your time more important than mine?

+1

On March 13, 2017 at 9:13 AM, jasona900 said:

I must admit.. this drives me absolutely crazy!  Can anyone explain to me why sellers put "Call for price" in their ad?  I never understood that tactic.  And don't give me that "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" business...  I can take a fairly educated guess on the asking price just by looking at the details of the ad.  So why not take all the guess work out of it?  And as a seller, I think not listing a price would invite tire-kickers who either aren't serious, or really can't afford it in the first place.

How many ads start with I'm selling for a friend? Is that code for "SCAM". Is it that hard to post an ad on Barnstormers that the average Mooney CB can't figure it out? Just my 2 cents.

I am shopping for my next plane now.  About half the advertised planes I'm considering say "call for price."  Ok, I call, and I ask.  The seller/broker names a number.  We go on from there.   I knew before I called about how much +/- 10% was likely.    Sometimes I'm surprised, not often.  

A typical answer is in the form, "It's $xxx, it has a fresh hot section inspection and a new interior with top grain Armadillo leather."   So I learn something besides the ask.  

I'd rather see an asking price in the advertisement.   But no big deal if none published.  Phone calls are cheap in the 21st century.

Don't get your knickers in a twist if the seller is a bit coy:  Think of all the tire kickers who call the poor guy and jawbone about a plane they will never, ever buy.  

• Like 1

I just started looking last week. Due to good cash flow but poor savings I'm going to have to go with financing. So far the first one I've presented to the bank they just took one look at their valuation calculator and said "not a chance". So, while it might not take years, I suspect 30 days isn't going to happen either.

How much is the markup of a posted sales price vs what it actually sells for? What's the average price actually paid for a M20S,M,R?   I realize these are not hershey bars and there many complicating factors that establish a price - engine/airframe time, tank reseal, electronics, paint and interior, but what are people actually paying for planes these days?  

19 minutes ago, rpcc said:

How much is the markup of a posted sales price vs what it actually sells for? What's the average price actually paid for a M20S,M,R?

The correct answer is, it depends. There is no formula that can be applied across the board.

Just now, rpcc said:

yes of course.  I was hoping to hear some about some recent buying experiences that outlined what the actual selling price depends on. 

Too many factors to list. I've worked with buyers recently that have paid full asking price and others that have paid 30% less than asking price. It all depends . . .

Just now, gsengle said:

Any sense of market direction/stability?

I think we've hit the bottom and prices are starting to rise. It will probably be another year before we see significant changes so if you are looking to buy, sooner is better. If you're looking to sell and can wait a year or two, I think  you'll do better financially.

• Like 2

Godfather, there are basic Vintage Mooneys, but there are no Mooney "trainers." You should be able to get a C or E in good mechanical shape, with a Garmin 430 (may not be WAAS) for less than 50; take out the GPS, put in a single Nav/Com and I can certainly see 40 or less.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hank said:

Godfather, there are basic Vintage Mooneys, but there are no Mooney "trainers." You should be able to get a C or E in good mechanical shape, with a Garmin 430 (may not be WAAS) for less than 50; take out the GPS, put in a single Nav/Com and I can certainly see 40 or less.

Agreed about the trainers... Trying to find the best stepping stone between a 80hr ppl and a m20r. Thinking a couple hundred hrs in a c/e and a IR would be ideal but I'm also considering a 182 etc to build time and experience. 

I don't feel a gps is needed for this purpose but it would probably help sell the aircraft in a few years.  However, if one came with one I would never remove it to sell off...way too much work to install those bloody boxes. 

1 minute ago, Godfather said:

Just noticed 3 Ovations and 1 Bravo sale pending at AAA. Nice to see some planes moving on the used market. 

Airplanes are definitely selling, I'm doing Mooney transition training for some new owners now. Prices are rising too.