Sensorcon CO Group Buy

DanM20C

On 2/12/2021 at 6:27 AM, wcb said:

but what is the difference in the 3 units?

The basic one (inspector) has preset alarms and only flashes and beeps.  The middle one (industrial) adds a vibration feature to the alarm.  Helpful for CFI's that might wear them from plane to plane.  The top of the line (industrial pro) adds the ability to have custom alarms.    I personally don't mind the default of 35ppm, I have only had the alarm a handful of times on the ground.  But I see the merit of @cnoe argument of not wanting to alarm passengers.   I watch my ppm so closely now (imagine that), I wouldn't even need the alarm.

It's my understanding that the only difference between the "classic" and "new" is aesthetic.  When they run out of stock of the "classic" components they will be discontinued. 

On 2/12/2021 at 11:40 PM, RobertGary1 said:

After 2 years can you replace the battery or does the device time out?

You can replace the battery any time.  I have had 3 units for over 3 years and I have not had to replace a battery yet.  I carry replacement CR123a's just in case.

After 2 years without calibration you should get a EOL message at start up.  But the detector will function normally after a few moments.  Albeit with less accuracy, but the sensitivity should be the same.   Seeing changes is more important that the actual ppm reading.

Link: www.sensorcon.com

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

I want to say here publicly what neither host of that show said. I’m glad you’re still with us and thank you for your advocacy of this important issue.

Thanks Jim!  I didn't intend or want to be the "CO Guy", I sort of fell into it..  :) pun intended. 

The response from the aviation community has been fantastic.  Particularly here on Mooneyspace, I thank all of you for that.  We are making a difference, but there is still a ways to go.  Worldwide there has been 14 aviation CO fatalities (that we know of) since my accident.  

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

I bought mine. Where do you mount it? I kind of wish it didn't have the claw on the back so I could mount it with mounting tape.

You can remove the clip mount in the back with the single screw. I mount mine on the panel with Velcro (with the clip removed). 

If you have any GoPro mounts laying around the clip can usually be coaxed into one.  Sensorcon sent me a prototype mount and it is very much like a GoPro mount.  

cheers,

Dan 

• Like 1

On 3/26/2021 at 7:11 PM, RobertGary1 said:

I bought mine. Where do you mount it? I kind of wish it didn't have the claw on the back so I could mount it with mounting tape.

The "claw" is easily removed with a single screw in the middle.  I removed it and used high strength velcro to mount it to the pedestal.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 7/12/2021 at 9:56 AM, 1964-M20E said:

Sensorcon has a new aviation version of the CO monitor.

AV8 Inspector Collection – Sensorcon - Sensing Solutions by Molex

image.thumb.png.fa6e135baef5c79f9d56d4db12ab6f61.png

How are these better than the ones I got from home depot? Sportys carries sticker detectors, too. ASA ones turn dark very quickly regardless. I left one on my patio and it was brown after a week.

2 minutes ago, FlyingDude said:

How are these better than the ones I got from home depot? Sportys carries sticker detectors, too. ASA ones turn dark very quickly regardless. I left one on my patio and it was brown after a week.

I tried to answer that question but did not get very far.   You can buy the sensor for like 8 dollars.   I bought a couple and was going to hook them up to the Dynon.    A project still waiting.    Some might say the sensor in the sensorcon is a bit more sensitive.   They all have limited life span due to the way the sensor is made.   https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/sparkfun-electronics/SEN-17050/13252153?utm_adgroup=Gas Sensors&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping_Product_Sensors%2C Transducers&utm_term=&utm_content=Gas Sensors&gclid=Cj0KCQiAraSPBhDuARIsAM3Js4pUTQbEAc3YFkBNiDfKff2i_Zx6mIl3jH4-V72BK9afwsPq4JKEDuMaAoG0EALw_wcB

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, FlyingDude said:

With the sensorcon one we know the manufacturer….

The colored dots are crap for setting off an alarm you will notice… unless they are part of your instrument scan… (they technically work, just in an impractical manner)

And dozens of your friends are using the same device…

If you have a problem with the HD one… will you know about it before it’s too late?

Or will you hear about it from another pilot?

If you have technical questions about the sensorcon one… someone around here has an answer…

The HD one… not so much…

Expect the HD one to be off by a factor of 10… compared to the Sensorcon one… for home use you would probably prefer the sensorcon as well…. For the same reasons…

You want the sensitive one because there is some time from getting a hint of CO… until the hole/crack opens up and gives you the land now alarm…

Inviting @DanM20C to the conversation…. Dan is pretty familiar with CO poisoning and how it starts and ends… :)

Dan, check out the NTSB / FAA discussion posted above…. You probably are aware of that already?

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, carusoam said:

The colored dots are crap for setting off an alarm you will notice… unless they are part of your instrument scan… (they technically work, just in an impractical manner)

I'm surprised the Sensorcon doesn't have Bluetooth capability at this point where a warning would come through a BT audio panel or headset.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, flyboy0681 said:

I'm surprised the Sensorcon doesn't have Bluetooth capability at this point where a warning would come through a BT audio panel or headset.

They're pretty loud.    I've not had trouble hearing mine the few times it has actually alarmed.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Yetti said:

I just ordered one of the Aviation ones.    The code still works.  Aircraft2021    For the first 3 years I had a home co detector and then the batteries ran out so probably not so good to be cheap about this thing.

Same here, I just ordered one of the Aviation ones, 20% off and Free shipping. You can also get the AV8-CO-01 model from Amazon for the regular price of $139 with next day delivery (at least where I live) however for the $27 savings I can wait a couple of extra days. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, carusoam said:

Inviting @DanM20C to the conversation…. Dan is pretty familiar with CO poisoning and how it starts and ends… :)

Dan, check out the NTSB / FAA discussion posted above…. You probably are aware of that already?

Thanks Anthony.  Another Mooney friend emailed that to me this morning.  I'm all for every GA airplane having a CO detector.  But I am concerned over the cost.  If the FAA were to adopt this recommendation I'm sure high resolution portables wouldn't be included.   It would be close to $1K on average for a panel mount.

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 5 months later...
On 7/18/2022 at 11:11 PM, amillet said:

@DanM20C are you going to be at Oshkosh offering recalibration this year?

I'll be there from Sunday through Wednesday AM.  I'll bring the calibration gas if you or anyone else needs to calibrate.  I'll be camping in the north 40.

1 hour ago, Pinecone said:

I was sent the new code in a PM.

Since it was PMd, I am not sure if they wanted it posted publically.

They were having problems with people reselling after using the coupons.  I'm going to spend some time with them at Osh next week and I'll see if they plan on having another coupon.  Glad you were able to get a new code!

Cheers,

Dan

• 9 months later...
On 7/20/2022 at 2:19 PM, DanM20C said:

They were having problems with people reselling after using the coupons.  I'm going to spend some time with them at Osh next week and I'll see if they plan on having another coupon.  Glad you were able to get a new code!

Cheers,

Dan

@DanM20C or anyone, do you know if there is a coupon code now?  Mine is showing EOL and I'd like to get a new one.

26 minutes ago, 201Mooniac said:

@DanM20C or anyone, do you know if there is a coupon code now?  Mine is showing EOL and I'd like to get a new one.

AIRCRAFT20222  (that's with three 2's at the end)  works for 20% off.  You will need to go to the check out before they offer a spot for the discount code. 

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 2