Sensorcon CO Group Buy

DanM20C

20 hours ago, amillet said:

Will there be anywhere to calibrate these units at Oshkosh?

I am bringing calibration equipment with me this year. I’ll set aside a few blocks of time to do calibrations. Not sure when yet. I’m flying in with the caravan on Saturday and staying until Wednesday.  The calibrations will done in the north 40, either at my plane or the caravan tent.  I’ll start a separate post in a few days when I figure out the details. 

No charge for calibrations but I will accept donations to help cover the cost of the test gas. 

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, DanM20C said:

I am bringing calibration equipment with me this year. I’ll set aside a few blocks of time to do calibrations. Not sure when yet. I’m flying in with the caravan on Saturday and staying until Wednesday.  The calibrations will done in the north 40, either at my plane or the caravan tent.  I’ll start a separate post in a few days when I figure out the details. 

No charge for calibrations but I will accept donations to help cover the cost test gas. 

Cheers,

Dan

Add me to the list. I’ll be arriving at Madison late Wednesday.

Thank you in advance 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, PeytonM said:

Is there a 2020 code? I already have mine, but I’d like to get a couple for friends...

Aircraft2020 is the current code.  I just updated the original post. Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DanM20C said:

Aircraft2020 is the current code.  I just updated the original post. Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers,

Dan

Thanks Dan,

This is a great idea and I am happy to see you keep it going.  They are great people to work with.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, clh said:

Thanks Dan,

This is a great idea and I am happy to see you keep it going.  They are great people to work with.

They are good people!  They were planing on having a presence at Airventure this year but I'm unsure what the plans are now.

28 minutes ago, daytonabch04 said:

This is on my to-buy list eventually...

eventually?  let's go, what are you waiting for?:D

Cheers,

Dan

To all:

I order the Industrial Pro model on Thursday (04/30), just to avoid the Christmas.

Being a CB I selected the free shipping option, it arrived this morning (Sat (05/02)).

Thanks again Dan

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I've had good results with Guardian Avionics products. 7 year calibration. They have many different models for all aircraft. Yes, they cost more but I'm not a CB when it comes to keeping my butt safe.

https://www.guardianavionics.com/aero-553-panel-digital-display-multi-function-co-detector-tso-certified-aircraft

Edited by philiplane

On 10/10/2020 at 8:49 PM, philiplane said:

I've had good results with Guardian Avionics products. 7 year calibration. They have many different models for all aircraft. Yes, they cost more but I'm not a CB when it comes to keeping my butt safe.

https://www.guardianavionics.com/aero-553-panel-digital-display-multi-function-co-detector-tso-certified-aircraft

I have a Guardian as well as a Sensorcon.  I think they complement each other nicely.   The Guardian is always on, and has an audible alert thought the headset.  The Sensorcon is more sensitive allowing you to use it to catch problems well before they are serious problems.  Being portable it works as a great troubleshooting tool used to find where the CO is entering the cabin. 

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry if I missed something, but what is the difference in the 3 units?  At least for our planes I know that anything is better than nothing but for such a minor cost difference just makes me think well just buy the best?  I bought the classic version but left it as part of my F model that I sold and now need to add one to my new plane.

$139, $159, $169? or the Classic version at $129, $149, $159?

I can't comment on the difference between the "new" version vs. the "classic" version but...

The "Industrial Pro" model allows you to change the alarm set-point from the default (35 ppm) to a higher level (up to 100 ppm for the initial LOW alarm). I like that feature and will opt for that model when replacing my existing unit because...

... due to the fantastic sensitivity of these devices it's not unusual for the alarm to activate while idling or during ground maneuvers as small amounts of exhaust enter the cabin through a vent, window, or door. When the red lights start flashing my wife and/or passengers can be alarmed by this unnecessarily. The 35 ppm level is the NIOSH max for 10 hours continuous exposure and isn't a concern at all for short term exposure. Once in flight the display will gradually decrease to "0" in a short while.

I'd prefer to have no flashing red lights and alarms going off until the reading reaches 50-100 ppm which is the level at which a slight headache might occur after a couple hours. Only the "Industrial Pro" version allows this.

CNoe

And THANKS AGAIN to @DanM20C for bringing this issue to our attention and very likely saving a few lives along the way!

Edited by cnoe
... to thank Dan.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, RobertGary1 said:

After 2 years can you replace the battery or does the device time out?

-Robert

Typically sensitive CO monitors become less sensitive with age...

One CO monitor manufacturer installed a non-chargeable or replaceable battery...   making it a throw away device....

Great question for the CO sensor people...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

18 hours ago, carusoam said:

Typically sensitive CO monitors become less sensitive with age...

One CO monitor manufacturer installed a non-chargeable or replaceable battery...   making it a throw away device....

Great question for the CO sensor people...

As typical Anthony makes some good points, but I figured I'd offer an anecdotal data point to the conversation...

I just looked at my records and can state that my Sensorcon CO detector was put into service in February of 2017 and I've yet to see the "low battery" indicator come on. It seems obvious that the expected (CR123A) battery life (2+ years) is based on time-in-use (not calendar time). And while the sensor element may become less viable with "age", mine still reacts quickly and vigorously to any level of CO in the cockpit. To me, absolute numeric accuracy is less important than prompt gross detection while in flight.

I still want the "programmable" model though and will be looking for an excuse to upgrade sometime. Hopefully my existing unit won't continue to work for ANOTHER four years.<_<

CNoe

• Like 1