Sensorcon CO Group Buy

DanM20C

3 hours ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

OK.  My Sensorcon CO detector just arrived.  How and where are you guys mounting this thing?  Or are you wearing it on a lanyard around your neck?  I think mounting it with a Steelie car mount like I use on my yoke for my iPad Mini might be best for me, but I am interested in hearing your solutions. Thanks in advance. 

Jim

I have a vintage F, so it may be different for your J, but years ago I made a special mounting plate that went in place of the ash tray just to the left of the yoke to affix the little CO dot cards. This is where I plan to put mine with velcro when I get it. I will post a picture when I get it done.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DaV8or said:

I have a vintage F, so it may be different for your J, but years ago I made a special mounting plate that went in place of the ash tray just to the left of the yoke to affix the little CO dot cards. This is where I plan to put mine with velcro when I get it. I will post a picture when I get it done.

That's where I have my red LED ash light . . . 

OK.  My Sensorcon CO detector just arrived.  How and where are you guys mounting this thing?  Or are you wearing it on a lanyard around your neck?  I think mounting it with a Steelie car mount like I use on my yoke for my iPad Mini might be best for me, but I am interested in hearing your solutions. Thanks in advance. 
Jim

I have been wearing it on my key lanyard just in case it goes off while flying. My only concern with the unit is there is no automatic shutoff. If you forget to turn it off, it'll keep running and you'll need to buy another (according to Danb) expensive battery. Having it around my next at least has me remembering to shut it off when I get out of the plane.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

I have been wearing it on my key lanyard just in case it goes off while flying. My only concern with the unit is there is no automatic shutoff. If you forget to turn it off, it'll keep running and you'll need to buy another (according to Danb) expensive battery. Having it around my next at least has me remembering to shut it off when I get out of the plane.

The Sensorcon uses common CR123A batteries which aren't "necessarily" all that expensive. I keep extras already in my flight bag for my Streamlight cockpit flashlight.

The battery life "according to Sensorcon" is like 2 years, plus they're user replaceable.

$6.51 for a 2-pack on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-CR123A-Lithium-Photo-Batteries/dp/B01B3EQR8A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488900564&sr=8-1&keywords=panasonic+cr123a .

P.S. Mine is velcro'd to the lower console as well.

IMG_8084 (2).JPG

Edited by cnoe
Removed offensive commentary.
  • Like 3

Mine came in yesterday. :)  Turned it on for the ride to work this morning never got over 3ppm in rush hour traffic 4 lanes wide.  I did walk around my vehicle this morning with it on and when I was near the exhaust pipe it shot up to well over 100ppm and the alarm went off so I know it works.

Looking forward to using in in the plane.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Jim

Mine is just to the right of the radio stack and above the transponder. It's right in line of sight when I look over to RPM, MP, FP so it's just a part of the scan. I took the clip off and used a couple pieces of velcro on the back and it doesn't move at all.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Danb said:

Battery was not a myth I paid $10.25 at homedepot, and it lasted less than a month, so forget the myth CRAP, Cnoe now you know who started the myth

My apologies Dan; I meant no offense.

I typically find the CR123A batteries to have an outstanding shelf life and fairly good performance while in use.

I'm hopeful that the short useful life you experienced in this case was an anomaly and that the figure quoted by the manufacturer is more normal. If this is not the case I hope others will post their experiences here.

Certainly if I had to replace my CO Detector's battery 12-15 times a year at a cost of ~$10 each time I'd be dis-pleased as well.

I typically purchase these online where one can get a 10-pack of Duracells for less than $2 each with free shipping. I only meant to inform others on this thread that these batteries aren't "necessarily" expensive.

I've edited my previous post.

The Sensorcon uses common CR123A batteries which aren't "necessarily" all that expensive. I keep extras already in my flight bag for my Streamlight cockpit flashlight.
The battery life "according to Sensorcon" is like 2 years, plus they're user replaceable.
$6.51 for a 2-pack on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-CR123A-Lithium-Photo-Batteries/dp/B01B3EQR8A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488900564&sr=8-1&keywords=panasonic+cr123a .
P.S. Mine is velcro'd to the lower console as well.

58bed44ac147e_IMG_8084(2).thumb.JPG.e4f7fd7c3af676147db3bc9dd3317999.JPG

Hey! Dan is a Certified Public Account and a Cheap Bast$&d as well. If he says a battery costs too much, who am I to argue with him?

Thanks for pointing out what was in it. I hadn't looked yet. I have a number of Streamlights including a few tacticals that all use the CR123s. It's also what I have in my Arlos and in my range finder. I'm stocked with them. Maybe I can sell Dan a few.

Hello All, I ordered mine before the group buy. If the battery life is not meeting specs, give them a call. Unit might be defective. They have excellent customer service. I spent several minutes on the phone with them going over the three models. Also, I found good prices on  CR123A batteries.

Mr Bill

www.batterystation.com/cr123a.htm

• Like 1

On the topic of electronics that need to get shut off...

There needs to be an add-on section to the check lists.  Post shut down list of things to unplug and turn off for next time.

My SkyRadar was good for draining a battery if left plugged in... a .2amu Gil battery!

wingX and other apps need to be shut down for preserving proper flight times.

That kind of thing.

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam
  • Like 1

I was just forwarded this for those who maybe looking for a certified panel mount solution for $400 plus installation.

I just sent the manufacturer a message asking about setting up a discount code similar to the Sensorcon.  So maybe we can get some traction with other manufactures.

44dc9d3c-9f0d-4d8e-ab30-b3d2a85fa422.jpg

Aero 451-101 or -201 for Certified Aircraft
The new Aero 451 Carbon Monoxide Detector is the first CO detector authorized for permanent installation in a certified aircraft under the new NORSEE (Non-Required Safety Enhancing Equipment) program by the FAA and can be installed in any Part 23 aircraft or Part 27/29 helicopter with only a “Minor Alteration” logbook entry by an A&P or IA. The Aero 451 begins detection of CO as low as 35 Parts Per Million (PPM) and provides an aural alarm and amber warning light at levels of 50-99 PPM and an alarm and red warning light for CO levels above 99 PPM. The 451 may be installed as a panel mounted unit or as a remote mount unit and the highly accurate CO sensor has a life span of 7 years. The Aero 451-101 or -201 is priced at $399.00.
451-101 Panel CO Detector - Click Here
451-201 Remote CO Detector - Click Here
628c9598-625d-49e4-a584-6ca824f7dc92.jpg
Aero 152A-WD Portable CO Detector
For pilots that fly rental aircraft or multiple aircraft, Guardian Avionics has reintroduced the Aero 152A-WD Portable Carbon Monoxide Detector that plugs into, and is powered by an aircraft cigarette lighter socket. Using the same sensitive CO sensor technology that all Guardian Avionics detectors use, the 152A-WD provides an aural alarm as well as alert and warning lights for CO levels from 50 PPM to 99 PPM and above 99 PPM respectively. This affordable and budget-friendly option is simple protection for a pilot that cannot install a permanent CO detector in the aircraft. The Aero 152WD is priced at $169.00.
Aero 152A-WD - Click Here
cleardot.gif

Interesting side piece of information....  Norsee rule...?

That looks like THE logic needed for Erik to install airbag seatbelts in his Rocket....

authorized for permanent installation in a certified aircraft under the new NORSEE (Non-Required Safety Enhancing Equipment) program by the FAA and can be installed in any Part 23 aircraft with only a “Minor Alteration” logbook entry by an A&P or IA

Best regards,

-a-

9 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Interesting side piece of information....  Norsee rule...?

That looks like THE logic needed for Erik to install airbag seatbelts in his Rocket....

authorized for permanent installation in a certified aircraft under the new NORSEE (Non-Required Safety Enhancing Equipment) program by the FAA and can be installed in any Part 23 aircraft with only a “Minor Alteration” logbook entry by an A&P or IA

Best regards,

-a-

Ok I didn't look at it that closely. 

Hey under this I say an autopilot is a non-required safety enhancing equipment.:ph34r:

• Like 1

I tried my Sensorcon today... up to 15ppm during taxi depending on wind direction, but 0ppm at cruise.  What really impressed me was the unit jumping up to 1-2ppm when I was passing a few semis* on the way to the airport.

* (for Andrew) articulated lorry

I used mine yesterday in the Cherokee Six and I was impressed.  8-10 on taxi, 0-2 on cruise.  Will test it out in the Mooney in a few weeks when I finally get it back from the shop to fix leaking tank.   Looking forward to flying her after flying the Six.  Will have to decide to sell or keep both.  First World Problems.  

Did the group buy discount through Amazon.  Worked great.  Thank you.  Had a home unit in baggage area...Not a good solution.  This is so small I had a small area not used on right panel.  Removed the screw for mount clip and used a piece of Velcro to mount to panel.  After reading that other thread this is a nice solution with the lights and alarm.  Lights should catch attention.  Thanks again for getting the discount and providing the option.  The shipment was prompt and free through Amazon.

• Like 1

I just ordered my industrial version as well. Thank you Dan for your excellent work with this.

I do have a couple questions out of curiosity:

Is there anything we can do that will help extend the life of the sensor? Like maybe storing it in an airtight container for example when not flying?

And how is it waterproof and still be able to work. How does it get ambient airflow to the sensor? Unless the sensor itself is not waterproof maybe?