Sensorcon CO Group Buy

DanM20C

Everyone,

The folks at Sensorcon are willing to pass along a 20% discount to pilots on all of their products.  At checkout use the code below.  

http://sensorcon.com/collections/carbon-monoxide-meters

Discount code: Aircraft2021

I'm going with the "industrial" and am going to add the Pump kit.  I like the vibrating alarm and the pump kit will help with troubleshooting various applications(home, aviation, boating, etc.) In my opinion, every A&P should have one in the tool box.

They do recommend a calibration every 6 months. If no calibration is done they have a tendency to wander in accuracy. But only about +-2ppm.  Even if you never calibrate, they will be infinitely better than the home detectors.  Sensorcon said with regular calibration they are seeing some that are 5 years old that still operate properly.  I think in a cockpit environment a once a year calibration is reasonable.  Sensorcon may work with us on a lower calibration price also.  One can calibrate on your own but would need the equipment.  It might make sense to do a group buy on calibration equipment.  I'll look into that down the road

If you don't have good CO Detection please consider adding a high quality detector. These Sensorcon Units are a good, cost effective option. I lived though my CO poisoning experience, but I shouldn't have.  These things could/will save lives.

Also, feel free to share this discount code with others.  I also ask that if you ever discover a CO problem down the road with a detector, share it with everyone.  Online forums, airport lounges, family get togethers, etc.  Lets keep the discussion going. 

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 21

For those who have one, I have a few questions.

1- How loud is the alarm? Can you test it? Can you hear it in flight over noise with head phones on? Past ANR?

2- How often do the batteries need to be charged or changed? What does it use?

3- Is the unit good for life or does it have to be overhauled frequently? It seems that most CO alarms only work for a given number of years.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, 201er said:

For those who have one, I have a few questions.

1- How loud is the alarm? Can you test it? Can you hear it in flight over noise with head phones on? Past ANR?

2- How often do the batteries need to be charged or changed? What does it use?

3- Is the unit good for life or does it have to be overhauled frequently? It seems that most CO alarms only work for a given number of years.

I haven't received mine yet but here is my understanding.

1- 80-85 DB. Probably not loud enough to really get your attention. I think the lights will be a better alarm if mounted in a visible location. I don't know if you can test the alarm. 

2- 2 year battery life when on constantly. Uses a CR123A that can be purchased at most local stores.

3- they recommend the 6 month calibration, claiming up to 5 years(or more) with regular servicing. I plan to do it annually. It's my understanding all CO detectors have a life limit.  I'm skeptical of claims of long life detectors (some claim up to 10 years)

Poke around their web site a bit. They have a fair amount of info posted.  I'm not saying this is the best available, but it has a lot going for it and they were willing to work with me on offering a discount. 

Some befits I see with these:

US made, good customer service.

Small, robust, waterproof.

Ability to leave on (many have auto turn off)

Easily replaceable battery

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 3

2 hours ago, amillet said:

I bought mine about a year ago.  How much of a hassle is it to re-calibrate?

You can send it to Sensorcon, they claim a 3 day turnaround. I think they charge about $40. They have instructions on their web site to do it yourself but you will need test gas and some misc parts.  One of us could get the equipment and do calibrations at airventure, Mooney Summit, etc. I'm going to explore this idea more.

1 hour ago, Brandontwalker said:

Good work Dan. Mine came in the mail from Amazon earlier this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine as well. Glad to see Dan put this together and that something very positive for many pilots came from his experience.

• Like 1

Just now, Raptor05121 said:

Dan, thank you very much for your story and keeping up with us. I am going to share this if you don't mind. Many other people on various other forums were following your endeavour. 

Please do. I plan on hitting up beechtalk too.  

Dan

1. Thanks Dan, Ill have one delivered in 2 days also! Deb has run the idea of the Mooney Summit, Inc purchasing what it takes to calibrate these and offering free calibration at the Mooney Summit up the flag pole. Lets see what the board has to say about it and I or Deb will report back. Heck, you keep this up, and your going to be in charge of the CO poison prevention department of the Mooney Summit, Inc.
  • Like 2

Mike,

alarm-- I can hear it during taxi, I turn mine on just prior to take off, I can see the meter where I have it mounted, I now conditioned to pick it up every 10 minutes or so and look at it, I also have a useless spot

battery life- my original only lasted a couple months I forgot to turn it off, I now turn it on/off after flight

useful life-no clue there is lot's of info on the web I had it tested by a buddy in the business and he said it's more sensitive then his units he uses, then went on to buy some sensocon stuff

I have it velcroed just under the G-1000 right of the throttles so I just move my hand an inch or so, pick it up often and keep checking it

• Like 2